Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DTE Summer Jobs for Detroit Youth Ages 14-24

UPDATE NOTICE June 8, 2016
    Over the last few months we have noticed a curious spike in DetroitYES new member registrations by young people aged 14-20 largely from Detroit. They sign up but do not participate leading us to conclude this may have been prompted by job search advisors as we have had emails asking us if we are hiring.

This thread had been revived for discussion of this topic.

If anyone knows of any job opportunities or has advice to offer for these young people sincerely seeking employment, kindly post it here.

- DetroitYES administrators

=================================
    Original Post from April 2011 follows...

Just passing on the information... a similar federally funded program in the 1990s gave me my first full-time job at age 16 [[New Detroit, Penobscot Building). It was a valuable experience and provided a wonderful foundation for both college and careers.

DTE Summer Jobs

The DTE Energy Foundation is funding 333 summer jobs for metro Detroiters ages
    14-24, the organization announced at the second annual Youth Employment Summit
    Tuesday.

The $500,000 grant to the Grow Detroit Young Talent, a program run by the
    not-for-profit City Connect Detroit, will help pay for the six-week positions
    that start in July.

Summer employment “introduces them to the demands, expectations and rewards of the workplace----being responsible, being a good team member and being proud of a job well done,” said Fred Shell, president of the DTE Energy Foundation and
    vice president of DTE Energy.

To find out how to participate or to offer other job opportunities, call [[313)
    879-1476 or visit
    www.growdetroitsyoungtalent.org.

Hello. My Name Is Chadae Bradley.I am 17 Years Old. And I Am Interested In The Summer Job Program.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadae View Post
    Hello. My Name Is Chadae Bradley.I am 17 Years Old. And I Am Interested In The Summer Job Program.
    Chadae, it looks like they're still in the fundraising stages of this program. You should check back on this website often:

http://www.growdetroitsyoungtalent.org/For_Youth.html

You can also call them:
    [[313) 879-1476

These other sites may be helpful in the meantime:

http://www.growdetroitsyoungtalent.org/Resources.html

Good luck! Thank you for posting this, English...passing it along to my neighbors.

My Name Is Anissa And I'm 18. I'm Interested In The Summer Job Program.

Hi everyone...I'm involved with the program and can say that DTE's funds are being allocated to community-based organizations. So, the best way to get involved is to check with the nonprofit in your neck of the woods and see if they are participating in the program. Unfortunately, all of these slots should already be filled; at this point, the best thing to do is to contact the city and get on the wait list for traditional workforce investment act funded programs they provide through five contracted service partners.

My Name is Darrel.Ime intoresting in sumer jobs also.

Default how much does the dte summer youth program offer per week

how much does the job payment offer

My name is Tim atabong and i want to participate

Hello My Name Is Rae'Shell Washington, I'm 15 Years Old And I Am Interested In The Summer Job Program

11. Default Summer 2016 Jobs in Detroit for Young People

Over the last few months we have noticed a curious spike in DetroitYES new member registrations by young people aged 14-20 largely from Detroit. They sign up but do not participate leading us to conclude this may have been prompted by job search advisors as we have had emails asking us if we are hiring.

I finally tracked down what may have been the stimulus, the 2011 thread DTE Summer Jobs For Detroit Youth Ages 14-24 which you can see got shared out on Facebook and has over 13,000 likes.

So what is the situation for summer jobs? This Feb. Freep article Detroit program aims to hire 8,000 youths this summer gives a good outline.

A city / corporate site http://gdyt.org/ manages this effort. Unfortunately the application period has now passed.
    Grow Detroit’s Young Talent [[GDYT) is a citywide summer jobs program that employs young adults between the ages of 14 and 24 for 6 weeks in July and August. Youth participants must be permanent residents of the City of Detroit and be eligible to work in the United States. There is a broad range of jobs available to the participants. For example, this past summer, the jobs included: community cleanups, event planning, accounting, and working with the Director of Youth Services for the City of Detroit. Last year, 5,600 local youth received employment. This year, our goal is 8,000.
    To all the kids trying, good for you and I hope you succeed. If anyone reading this has any jobs to offer, post them here.

Hi my name is Tamia Williams. Iam 14 years old. I would love to participate in the Summer Job Program.

Default DTE Summer Jobs?

How do I apply to that?

Try their website. Dteenergy.com/careers

Lowell, are we sure these aren't bots getting past the system? Seems pretty generic and suspect to me...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Lowell, are we sure these aren't bots getting past the system? Seems pretty generic and suspect to me...
    No they are not. They are local high school students looking for summer work.

We screen all new members. When a new member registers, we check their IP address to make sure they are from where they claim to be. They also need to tell us something unique to Detroit, like the riverwalk, Belle Isle, Faygo, etc. Between that and some other tricks we have we rarely get a troll or bot slipping in.

This thread was created as a connector and conduit for them with anyone who may have a job or advicse to offer.

Let's welcome them and wish them luck. They're doing the right thing. Hopefully some join the other conversations to offer youthful perspectives on Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    No they are not. They are local high school students looking for summer work.

We screen all new members. When a new member registers, we check their IP address to make sure they are from where they claim to be. They also need to tell us something unique to Detroit, like the riverwalk, Belle Isle, Faygo, etc. Between that and some other tricks we have we rarely get a troll or bot slipping in.

This thread was created as a connector and conduit for them with anyone who may have a job or advicse to offer.

Let's welcome them and wish them luck. They're doing the right thing. Hopefully some join the other conversations to offer youthful perspectives on Detroit.
    Right on! Thank you for the clarification.