Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New laws may close 150 Detroit pot shops

From article: Detroit's crackdown on marijuana storefront shops could lead to about 150 fewer shops than existed in the city at the height of the industry, Mayor Mike Duggan said.

Teams of city inspectors and police officers have begun visiting stores to enforce Detroit's new medical marijuana ordinances, which took effect March 1.

"There is room in this town for probably 50 or 60 medical marijuana dispensaries spaced legitimately, and they have to be in industrial or high commercial areas," Duggan said in an interview. "They can't be in residential areas."

...Detroit has received 250 applications to open medical marijuana centers under the new ordinance, officials said. Of those, 58 were incomplete. About 112 applications are believed to be for operations in ineligible drug-free zones.
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...hops/85058930/

Church pastors trying to shut down pot shops?

Certainly no ulterior motives there!!!

In the mean time aside from the clergy [[the group easy to dismiss in the argument) other citizens of Detroit want some form of ordinances too!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    In the mean time aside from the clergy [[the group easy to dismiss in the argument) other citizens of Detroit want some form of ordinances too!
    I'm pretty sure the silent majority [[myself included) feel rather indifferently about the pot shops.

They're paying taxes and creating jobs. And it's not like these folks whose operations are shut down won't still find other ways to do business. So why not let them do it in the way that's "legal."

If they really want to wage a battle against the spacing of certain businesses and you held a gun to my head forcing me to choose, I'd rather they go after the strip clubs.

OK, taking the libertarian point of view on this I'll say let the growth continue. However, when will employers catch up to all of this? As it stands now more employers are screening for drugs and more people cannot work, due to marijuana being one of the substances screened.

It boils down to personal choice one can argue. We'll have to see how it works out.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-30-16 at 12:38 PM.

the people of detroit spoke in 2012 when they decrim'd 1 oz of pot on private property.

if you want to put any marijuana ordinance on the ballot for people to vote for [[including banning pot) i'm all for that. because i believe in democracy.

i do not believe in a vocal minority of shady backroom deals in a pay-to-play kickback clergy scheme.

you know some disps pay money to the churches so the churches protect them right?
    we literally have a church mafia in detroit right now. hard to describe how weird that is.

one or two city council members [[not even talking about the kushberry here) have an interest in an active dispensary. corrupt is as corrupt does.

I am for this 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    if you want to put any marijuana ordinance on the ballot for people to vote for [[including banning pot) i'm all for that. because i believe in democracy.

Ahhhh yes, Democracy...

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.” – Mencken

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” – Carlin

Sarc/off

Interesting [[for me, anyway) fact:

The United States Supreme Court ruled that municipalities may not zone legal businesses out of existence. The test is whether "alternative avenues of communication" were available; that is, could the lawful business locate somewhere in the municipality.

The case: Young v. American Mini Theaters
    Plaintiff: Coleman A. Young
    Nature of the business: strip clubs

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...=1&oi=scholarr

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm pretty sure the silent majority [[myself included) feel rather indifferently about the pot shops.

They're paying taxes and creating jobs. And it's not like these folks whose operations are shut down won't still find other ways to do business. So why not let them do it in the way that's "legal."

If they really want to wage a battle against the spacing of certain businesses and you held a gun to my head forcing me to choose, I'd rather they go after the strip clubs.
    "Taxes"?!? What taxes? I am pro legalization but the system of "legel marijuana" that currently exists in this state is completely unregulated and off the books. Any taxes being paid are purely voluntary which never works out so great for the rest of the taxpayers. Colorado has a system that pays taxes, Michigan, no. Sometimes the solutions are not that hard at all. Just look around at who's doing it the best and copy them.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    "Taxes"?!? What taxes? I am pro legalization but the system of "legel marijuana" that currently exists in this state is completely unregulated and off the books. Any taxes being paid are purely voluntary which never works out so great for the rest of the taxpayers. Colorado has a system that pays taxes, Michigan, no. Sometimes the solutions are not that hard at all. Just look around at who's doing it the best and copy them.
    Although they don't pay Michigan taxes, they should be paying federal taxes.

To respond to posts #3 & #6:

"...other citizens of Detroit"...I am quite sure of this as well, if you got a guyhttp://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/ho...nt?oid=2390028 [[looking quite bearded and hip) in Brightmoor video taping drug deals and interactions with prostitutes and johns there [[others have done it worse with the busy-bodying in the name of self-righteous indignation, like in Oklahoma or Texas or the idiots on 8 mile getting the license plates of folks leaving strip clubs and adult bookstores, but they were more of the short-lived religious zealot crusaders and stone-throwers), than there are residents not pleased as to what is near them in proximity. NIMBY doesn't have to be religious [[as you will have NIMBY types go after church-run homeless shelters near them, since it draws the "wrong crowd").

I'd like more information on that tidbit I overlooked [[or just ignored, since the topic of legalized plastic Government-grown marijuana bores me.) about city council members having a stake in these dispensaries. For me, that seems more of a leaning and investment of power than religious entities.

As for a "church mafia", I doubt this applies to old-school mainstream churches. However, there is going to be an inevitable swing in the change of political climate and mood of people quite soon [[like when the 70's got so muddy and loose it sadly brought on the tough, cold, angular, money-grubbing, dog-eat-dog mentality of the 80's with it's Moral Majority and such). I warned about this since folks have been steeped in their crapulent, proto-hedonist self-indulgent ways a bit too long [[while they were railing far too hard on the supposed "threat" of a religious presence that has actually been mostly non-existent on the stage of culture and media and overall backed into a silent corner.).

Such extremism causes a ridiculous extremist reaction. When this change occurs, folks whose lives have been run aground by their own self-indulgence will be in a state of self-doubt and deep existential crisis, and they will be vulnerable to seek structure from just about any source. If it won't be a "therapeutic nation" they will be seeking to remold and rebuild them, then just about anything with the "appearance of being righteous" [[be it a cult or an exploitative church-especially those that go beyond mere store-front exploitation, as they may be satellites to an even bigger operation with ties to right-wing politics.) will be there on hand to "steer" people. Even if this does not apply to any of us personally, the fall-out and rippling effect in politics as a general whole will make media and culture and the government more fanatical, jingo-istic, and blood-thirsty in nature [[war, capitol-punishment, xenophobically genocidal, etc.) and without compassion for the underdog .

Pastor Ray Anderson mentioned in the article appears "concerned for the community", and he very well may be. Yet, I can already read that he has ties to Pentecostal revivalism [[because they are God's "unfrozen chosen", and God's Spirit-that is to say the "hand of God"-has been "shortened this whole time until they came around", by that logic.) of the storefront para-church type tied to a greater organization. Other articles suggest they had troubles paying water bills. Also, being of an "addiction/recovery" church leads a lot towards placating and controlling folks much like a cult [[I've seen it many times over with "homeless recovery" programs run from various Gospel Missions.).

Yet, I have to say, another addiction/recovery church made news not too long ago. It was run by a Rev. Phil Fulton in Pike County. What makes it odd is how "addiction recovery" was a main focus of his Pentecostal/Evangelical operation, and he was closely tied to the Rhoden family that had three marijuana growing operations and a supposed cock-fighting outfit. That is, until eight family members got brutally and suspiciously executed. How did Fulton not know what they were into? Collusion? Maybe everything in this world is when you really track down all the ties....
    Last edited by G-DDT; May-30-16 at 09:34 PM.

They need to do something about them. There's too many. I rode down 8 Mile last week, and was shocked to see at least 2 or 3 in the same block, or right next to each other. From E 8 Mile & Lahser all the way past Woodward, there were probably at least 40 to 50 weed shops.

Marijuana would have to be legal at the federal level for the feds to level taxes I suppose. Though stranger things have happened. In the meantime employers screen for marijuana so I'd be circumspect about using it if actively seeking employment.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Although they don't pay Michigan taxes, they should be paying federal taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Marijuana would have to be legal at the federal level for the feds to level taxes I suppose. Though stranger things have happened. In the meantime employers screen for marijuana so I'd be circumspect about using it if actively seeking employment.
    My understanding is that while the dispensaries aren't federally approved, they also aren't eligible for exemption from the IRS tax code.

Revenue from marijuana dispensaries or growing operations must be reported as income.
    Problem #1 is that because this is not a "legal" business in the eyes of the IRS, the normal deductions from income [[salaries, rent, utilities, etc.) are not permitted.
    Problem #2 is that many banks will not open bank accounts for those businesses.

A state-by-state solution makes some people happy, but inconsistent treatment is problematic in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Problem #2 is that many banks will not open bank accounts for those businesses....
    Yes, that has been a problem but, like so many other factors in this subject, the situation is in flux. From 2014: Banks to be Allowed to do Business With Marijuana Dispensaries
    Federal regulators will allow banks to provide financial services to marijuana-related businesses operating legally under state laws as long as lenders make regular reports to the Treasury Department and watch for suspicious activity....

Some of the nation's largest banks, including J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co., have existing policies not to provide banking services to marijuana businesses....

Authorities worried about robberies and violence that could result if pot sellers end up with large sums of money. The new rules are designed to reduce that risk, a Justice Department official said....

the pay to play source is here:
    http://georgebrikho.com/terrence-man...uncil-members/

“I was there, and I can personally attest to the fact that Terrence is working on a deal to give a Detroit city council member and their significant other a 10 percent cut of the action from his dispensary to pass these new rules,” Brikho said. “It’s a pay-to-play system that is being created by these dirty, corrupt bureaucrats and the fat cats like Mansour who own them. This is a heist that is taking place. It’s criminal.”
    think i heard the quote $30-$50,000 for protection money. aint no chump change in the d.

it would be a big story to any reporters.

interestingly, if you are 'cracking down'... when that started there were 150+ dispensaries? now theres 210+

probably a few lawyers involved with the kickback pay-to-play schemes too.

welcome to detroit.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...53960784-story

and michigan.
    Last edited by compn; May-31-16 at 02:21 PM.

I hope this is settled ASAP. Detroit needs a diversity of small businesses and expanded green infrastructure industries.

This is the latest get rich quick business for the party store/gas station crowd. These places are only contributing to the decline of society. I'm of the belief most of these patients are phonies. You know these places are not following laws for numbers of patients per caregiver and im SURE you don't always need a card to buy! And the fact it's unregulated is crazy! It's a cash register! The names of these joints are another sign of just how comical it is!

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Revenue from marijuana dispensaries or growing operations must be reported as income.
    Problem #1 is that because this is not a "legal" business in the eyes of the IRS, the normal deductions from income [[salaries, rent, utilities, etc.) are not permitted.
    Problem #2 is that many banks will not open bank accounts for those businesses.

A state-by-state solution makes some people happy, but inconsistent treatment is problematic in the long term.
    I believe the secret has been out of the bag for a long time that Uncle Sugar just plain sucks at getting his share of the income tax out of "cash" businesses. Investigation, enforcement and prosecution are all more time consuming and he has no shortage of fish to fry. His failure in this arena is frankly just more opportunity for the State of Michigan and local governments to capture more revenue from them because they are not going to go away any time soon and the stream remains relatively untapped.

Of course it would require legislators with vision on how to adjust a tax code to the relevant economies for the here and now and avoiding the same pitfalls that Uncle Sugar has been stuck in like molasses for decades regarding cash businesses which seems ridiculously fanciful for the idiots in Lansing but what the hell, one can dream.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-31-16 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    This is the latest get rich quick business for the party store/gas station crowd. These places are only contributing to the decline of society. I'm of the belief most of these patients are phonies. You know these places are not following laws for numbers of patients per caregiver and im SURE you don't always need a card to buy! And the fact it's unregulated is crazy! It's a cash register! The names of these joints are another sign of just how comical it is!
    This post is a shining example of why this website needs to implement a "like" button. One Shot, you are absolutely correct. I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    "Yeah. yeah. my-uh-uh PDSD [[is that what they call it?) is acting up. My parents wouldn't buy me that EZ-Bake Oven for Christmas, and now I make up for it by pissing my time away on the couch playing XBox."

In candid honesty, I was an earnest supporter of legalizing grass in the 90's strictly on the touted argument that it was a renewable resource great for fiber and paper products. I truly read up on that "Emperor Wears No Clothes" research and the whole conspiracy of Mead/Hearst/Anslinger. I did not want it legalized and standardized [[the way tobacco was) by the government. Somewhere in the late 2000's, that argument was pushed aside, and it was strictly for smoking it. I really do feel let down by extremist liberalism for being dishonest and sheisty about it and using environmentalism as a hobby horse and beard for their own hedonist agenda.

Back then, I really didn't push my mind past it's comfort zone to look past the supposed street network and South American cartels to look at who truly "runs Buddhatown".https://www.pinterest.com/pin/99008891785098628/

I say legalize it completely so you can tax it diligently, and then fund the damn schools. Or roads. Or...

Worth mentioning that MILegalize's petition deadline is today. I haven't been following the situation lately, but it seems still possible that there could be a full legalization initiative on the Nov ballot. Here's their summary:

• Legalize all forms marijuana for adults 21 and older- including topicals, oils, and tinctures.
    • Allow for adults to cultivate up to 12 plants.
    • Allow for the cultivation, possession, and otherwise processing of hemp and hemp products.
    • Grants medical marijuana patients & consumers additional legal protections.
    • Provide licensing to marijuana establishments and cultivation facilities.
    • Allow a ten percent excise tax on recreational marijuana sales that will contribute to state funds for education, transportation and a portion for local government, tax will not apply to medical marijuana patients.
    • Remove all criminal penalties for distribution, cultivation, and possession of marijuana with the exception of sale to an unauthorized minor.
    • Allow for civil infractions to be issued if the person is in violation of the act.
    • Protect consumers from search, seizure, and investigation by law enforcement for marijuana related offenses.
    • Authorize local units of government to adopt limited regulation of marihuana facilities and stores.

from here: http://www.milegalize.com/about_the_initiative
    full text of the initiative: http://www.milegalize.com/read_the

^^^

• Remove marijuana from the list of prohibited drugs employers screen for adults 21 and older

????

Or perhaps that is covered in item one. Otherwise you're still out the loop for applying for or retaining a job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast