Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DIBC Hires Adolph Mongo to Orchestrate Recall of State Rep Rashida Tlaib

That's the story right now. The Windsor Star reports without explicitly naming Sheffield:
    "People in the vulnerable west side neighbourhood of Sandwich elected Coun. Ron Jones to represent them, and the Ambassador Bridge, whose plan to twin its span and cement its monopoly would devastate Sandwich, is warning him to shut up.
    It's a billion-dollar business empire trying to muzzle an elected representative and his community, and it's offensive.
    Jones isn't alone. Michigan state representative Rashida Tlaib, another outspoken opponent of a twin span whose district includes the other side of the bridge in southwest Detroit, says a political consultant for the company has threatened to launch a campaign to recall her."

The great thing is: Horace Sheffield is a big talker but accomplishes so little. If the DIBC means business they should go more top-drawer.

Fortunately I seriously doubt he could muster up the support here to recall her especially if people know the DIBC is behind it.

And here I thought is was Adolph Mongo who they were refering to as the recall firestarter. He works for Maroun/Stamper and was at the Ste. Anne's rally sniffing around. How do we know it is Horeass Shef?

Well I heard Sheffiled, but now think person must have meant Mongo. Sheffield is an agitator but not described as a political consultant.

diver1369 Guest

swmap, Shouldn't you have waited until the facts in your claim were solid before you start throwing around accusations. You may have just slandered someone.

Fighting a recall effort - even one poorly conceived - takes time and resources. Rallys and counter demonstrations, signs, pamphlets, etc. all takes time and money. Rashida may have the people on her side, but Manny's pockets are billion$ deep. He could drop a million out of petty cash and not miss it. TV, radio, people jamming radio call-in lines ... all old-school Detroit politics.

You might remember the Archer Recall of '97/'98. Same deal ... all funded by Don Barden ... with shock troops provided byWhorass, Mongo and Malik Shabazz ... soured Archer from running for a third term and thereby rolling the red-carpet out for Kilpatrick.

Combine Mongo's street fighting with Whorass and his minions screaming racsim and I'm afraid Rashida will be forced to take her eye off the ball.

Anyone who attended the meeting down at the Erhardt school gym, can tell you that Manny's goons can get bussed in by the hundreds.

Rashida may get soured by the pain-in-ass-ness of the whole thing.

SWMAP, keep posting and ignore the BS attacks. One of the main purposes of DY is to get information out to the public and eventually we'll ferret out the facts. If you wait for all the facts to be reported, we'd still be waiting on results of Civil War battles. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Thanks, Kielson!

I think Diver was being ironic. But I think that he should more appropriately have accused me of careless libel- - as slander is a spoken, deliberate lie and libel is a deliberate printed lie.
    Hard to slander either Sheffield or Mongo - but Mongo has better credentials. And the fact of the matter is that Sheffield has very close, very lucrative ties with Maroun - that's easy to prove.

Man, I've read some howlers here and elsewhere this week [[including Bill Shea's claim on Facebook that there's an "Orwellian White House call to report on each other when it comes to discussions of healthcare"), but KielsonDrive has a strong shot at Rickdiculous Remark of the Month:
    If you wait for all the facts to be reported, we'd still be waiting on results of Civil War battles.
    Really? Say what again? [BTW, I have it on reliable authority that the North won.]

The only thing "BS" about Diver's comment is that it's Boldly Smart. SWMAP's topic line does indeed malign Rev. Sheffield with an unfair ovver-reach based on a reporter's statement that Rep. Tlaib "says a political consultant for the company has threatened to launch a campaign to recall her."

That's as close to what it says atop this thread as . . . well, as a suggestion that Lowell set up this forum to get wild guesses out to the public so that "eventually we'll ferret out the facts."
    Last edited by RealityCheck; August-14-09 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    That's the story right now. The Windsor Star reports without explicitly naming Sheffield:
    "People in the vulnerable west side neighbourhood of Sandwich elected Coun. Ron Jones to represent them, and the Ambassador Bridge, whose plan to twin its span and cement its monopoly would devastate Sandwich, is warning him to shut up.
    It's a billion-dollar business empire trying to muzzle an elected representative and his community, and it's offensive.
    Jones isn't alone. Michigan state representative Rashida Tlaib, another outspoken opponent of a twin span whose district includes the other side of the bridge in southwest Detroit, says a political consultant for the company has threatened to launch a campaign to recall her."

The great thing is: Horace Sheffield is a big talker but accomplishes so little. If the DIBC means business they should go more top-drawer.

Tlaib said she was told two weeks ago that a well-known and highly paid political consultant for the bridge, whose clients have reportedly included ex-Detroit mayors Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick, controversial attorney Geoffrey Fieger, Michigan judges, Wayne County prosecutors and members of the U.S. Congress, has threatened to start a campaign to recall her from office.

Is there any documentation yet? It appears that Anne Jarvis has once again failed to come up with anything before a deadline and simply wrote a piece that is very subjective and lacking in facts.

Tlaib stated that she was told by someone that a political consultant threated to start a campaign. The article was misquoted. Shame on you.

Gongwer reports today that Mongo, not Sheffield, is the chosen one for Manny.

So, if I'm correct and I'm not libeling, slandering or anything else on anyone else, RealityCheck must be a Shyster and is preparing a lawsuit based upon opinions [[mostly his/hers/its). As audacious as I may be at times, my opinion is hardly 'Rickdickulous [[sp?) Remark of the Month'. Though I will claim the distinction, thank you. I have another award from DY.

I'm kind of curious as to why anyone would presume to know why Lowell 'set up this forum'?Have you asked him?

[BTW, I have it on reliable authority that the North won.] All of the battles? Which ones? Are all Historians in agreement on which ones or all of them? Have there been any revisions in opinions over the 150 years since the Civil War ended?

Rep Rashida Tlaib will be on Inside Detroit at 7am today.

1KielsonDrive, are you aware that the term "shyster" is considered by many to be an anti-semetic term?

I talked to Mongo and our Lansing reporter talked to Tlaib yesterday for a blog entry I did on this. Interesting stuff. Is this Detroit's next political drama?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/shea

diver1369 Guest

The term shyster to describe a lawyer was used in another discussion. I believe you may be confusing it or merging it with shylock, which is a slur on Jews.
    Shylock |ˈ sh īˌläk|
    a Jewish moneylender in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, who lends money to Antonio but demands in return a pound of Antonio's own flesh should the debt not be repaid on time.
    • [as n. ] [[ a Shylock) a

shyster |ˈ sh īstər|
    noun informal
    a person, esp. a lawyer, who uses unscrupulous, fraudulent, or deceptive methods in business.
    ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: origin uncertain; perhaps related to German Scheisser ‘worthless

Very good report Bshea. As a long-time hard copy subscriber to Crains I always look forward to your articles.

This quote stunk of back-scratching so much it made me gag.
    “He does targeted consulting for us, but it’s not the recall. It’s a separate activity of his,” Blashfield said, adding that Mongo hasn’t asked for money. If he does, the bridge company can’t say if it will give it, he said.
    I am curious to know where Mongo lives. Is he a constituent of Tlaib?

Diver1369, I am not confused. Meant what I said-

From Wikipedia: "A shyster [[pronounced /ˈʃaɪstər/) is a slang word for someone, frequently Jewish, who acts in a disreputable, unethical, or unscrupulous way, especially in the practice of law and politics."

From the editors of the Observer: Take, for example, the word "shyster." According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word is of "obscure origin," but its meaning is hardly obscure. Rooted in the German scatological term scheisser, it's a deplorable and demeaning word which has traditionally been loaded with anti-Semitism."

I'm simply discussing the term 1KielsonDrive mentioned, not Shylock. And I'm just saying, and will repeat, that the term "shyster" is considered by many to be an anti-semetic term.

Quote Originally Posted by AroundTown View Post
    Diver1369, I am not confused. Meant what I said-

From Wikipedia: "A shyster [[pronounced /ˈʃaɪstər/) is a slang word for someone, frequently Jewish, who acts in a disreputable, unethical, or unscrupulous way, especially in the practice of law and politics."

From the editors of the Observer: Take, for example, the word "shyster." According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word is of "obscure origin," but its meaning is hardly obscure. Rooted in the German scatological term scheisser, it's a deplorable and demeaning word which has traditionally been loaded with anti-Semitism."

I'm simply discussing the term 1KielsonDrive mentioned, not Shylock. And I'm just saying, and will repeat, that the term "shyster" is considered by many to be an anti-semetic term.
    Wikipedia [[a credible source if ever there was one) and their comment "frequently Jewish"....

Is that all you have to go on??

That's about the weakest politically correct example I've seen in my years on DYES....

I think shyster does have at least a slight anti-Semitic connotation to it. But my dictionary doesn't define it. I imagine it would red-flag any pejorative terms. Why not just say "pettifogger"?

I'm on my fourth decade and still learning that some words are considered offensive. I didn't learn about the connotation of "sheenyman" until I was alerted to it by a poster here, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think shyster does have at least a slight anti-Semitic connotation to it. But my dictionary doesn't define it. I imagine it would red-flag any pejorative terms. Why not just say "pettifogger"?

I'm on my fourth decade and still learning that some words are considered offensive. I didn't learn about the connotation of "sheenyman" until I was alerted to it by a poster here, in fact.
    Ah but in those 3+ decades have you ever been gyped [[sp?) or been an Indian Giver... and then there's the elimination of year designations of B.C. and A.D. in favor of B.C.E. and C.E.

While some political correctness is understandable... in other situations it has reached the point of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ah but in those 3+ decades have you ever been gyped [[sp?) or been an Indian Giver... and then there's the elimination of year designations of B.C. and A.D. in favor of B.C.E. and C.E.

While some political correctness is understandable... in other situations it has reached the point of absurdity.
    Things change. When I was a youngster, I remember you could get thrown back a grade for saying the F-word, but anybody could throw the N-word out there and nobody would blink. Maybe it's better the way it is. It's certainly more sensitive. But, yeah, I think some of the PC stuff leaves me cold. I mean, as a white man, I don't know what it's like to be a woman in America, but I'm damn sure it's not spelled "womyn in Amerikka."

Gistok,

I didn't want to whip out the N-word comparison, but someone else mentioned it and there you have it. I'm not the most PC person in the world, but I do try to avoid certain words, and was bringing it to Diver1369's attention that some people consider "shyster" to be an offensive term, specifically anti-semetic. I didn't initially learn that from Wikipedia, but from my father, who was subjected to such words.

A few chilling examples of hate groups using the term in an anti-semetic context:
    http://www.worldpeace-phaedrus.blogs...ing-clean.html
    and...
    www.~~~~~~~~~~.org/forum/showthread.php?t=560933

When you type "shyster" into Google, the suggestion of "shyster anti-semetic" and "shyster jewish" pop up in the search field. So I think I'm not the only one who has heard of this connotation. And no, I do not use the terms "gyp" or "Indian giver". I don't use the N-word, either. I've been raised to know that those things can be rude or insulting to others so I just think of other, more articulate ways to express myself. It's not that difficult to find other words to clearly communicate what you need to.

I didn't intend this to turn into a back & forth. Was just pointing something out. We now return to your regularly-scheduled program

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast