Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

1. Default Detroit City Football Club Draws 7410 at Keyworth Stadium Opener

And they were hoping for 5,000. Wow. If this doesn't fuel the talk about a major league soccer coming to Detroit, what will? Did anyone go to the game? What was it like getting there?

What impresses me is the out-of-the-way lack-of-parking location. I thought that would be a big impediment attendance. Obviously not! Hopefully the neighborhood residents had their chairs out in their parking spots.

"Ownership expected to average about 5,000 fans per match this year, up from last year's 3,528. The semi-pro club raised more than $700,000 from fans to renovate the 80-year-old, 6,000-seat stadium this year after DCFC outgrew its home for its first four seasons, Cass Technical High School.

DCFC's next NPSL match at Keyworth is at 7:30 p.m. June 3 against FC Buffalo.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160523/NEWS/160529930/detroit-city-fc-draws-record-crowd-for-keyworth-stadium-opener"

[The game was a 1-1 draw vs Ann Arbor]

I was there and went to the pregame at the fowling warehouse. Getting there wasn't bad, but leaving took a while since most people parked in the fowling parking lot and there's only one exit. Lines at the bar and bathroom at the game were 20-30 minutes. They said they're planning on improving that a lot by the next game. The stands were packed and there were a ton of people not in the stands too. Half of the fan side is still in progress, though, so there will be even more room in the stands soon.

I was worried that moving them a little further out would suppress attendance. Glad that didn't happen. I will caution all, though, not to get too excited about 1 day attendance. The Montreal Expos would always sell out opening days, then follow with a season of minor-league level attendance. I think Detroit can and will continue to support DCFC, and would also support an MLS team, but attendance for DCFC will probably not continue at 7000 throughout the season.