Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Come on Feel the Movenment 2016

It's that time again, The Detroit Electronic Music Festival is on. Put on the gothic wares, maquerade your face, dye your hair wild, buy those L.E.D. jewelry bring in the DJ's, pump up the beat step in the dance floor feel the movement and get Crunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's that time again, The Detroit Electronic Music Festival is on. Put on the gothic wares, maquerade your face, dye your hair wild, buy those L.E.D. jewelry bring in the DJ's, pump up the beat step in the dance floor feel the movement and get Crunk.
    Not really sure you know what Movement is...

I first saw the DEMF as a sort of placating booby prize given to the techno culture in Detroit to quell folks outraged at all of the techno parties being systematically shut down [[and all across the country) after the unprecedented and unprovoked murder of a downriver kid at the Bagley optical building in late 1999 [[oh, how press and police waited with mouths watering for that to happen; there was a lot suspicion attached to that incident, as many can attest, and the ensuing lockdown was swift and merciless.).

It was free and drew close to a million folks [[with only one death by a kid climbing the Noguchi sculpture and being startled by the cops coming at him, resulting in him hastily falling onto his head), so, by next year [[and a huge rainy wash-out at that it was) what was snuffed at and disregarded as trivial was now beset upon by corporate commercial exploitation. By the third year, Carl Craig was being edged out, and many were angered about that [[I was one of them).

By the time the name changed to "Movement" and they charged outrageous admission. I just gave up in disgust.

I only hype about it now, since it is a time to reflect on the history of techno music and the scene, and though the fest itself is for nought, you have an explosion of events orbiting that time period all around the city that crucially revitalizes that scene [[and the area) in great ways.

That is what gives me a charge.

Yet, if you want a good festival, wait until June 17th-19th and support Tec-troit.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    I first saw the DEMF as a sort of placating booby prize given to the techno culture in Detroit to quell folks outraged at all of the techno parties being systematically shut down [[and all across the country) after the unprecedented and unprovoked murder of a downriver kid at the Bagley optical building in late 1999 [[oh, how press and police waited with mouths watering for that to happen; there was a lot suspicion attached to that incident, as many can attest, and the ensuing lockdown was swift and merciless.).

It was free and drew close to a million folks [[with only one death by a kid climbing the Noguchi sculpture and being startled by the cops coming at him, resulting in him hastily falling onto his head), so, by next year [[and a huge rainy wash-out at that it was) what was snuffed at and disregarded as trivial was now beset upon by corporate commercial exploitation. By the third year, Carl Craig was being edged out, and many were angered about that [[I was one of them).

By the time the name changed to "Movement" and they charged outrageous admission. I just gave up in disgust.

I only hype about it now, since it is a time to reflect on the history of techno music and the scene, and though the fest itself is for nought, you have an explosion of events orbiting that time period all around the city that crucially revitalizes that scene [[and the area) in great ways.

That is what gives me a charge.

Yet, if you want a good festival, wait until June 17th-19th and support Tec-troit.
    DEMF and Movement are completely different festivals operated by different groups.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    DEMF and Movement are completely different festivals operated by different groups.
    Different by date? Management? Overall "feel" of the event?

I can argue that the Simpsons of the 90's isn't the Simpsons being cranked out now. Is Mid-Town still Cass Corridor [[I prefer the latter)? Is the Detroit International Jazz Festival now the same as the Montreux-Detroit Jazz Festival of yesteryear [[both held on the same weekend)? Yet, both are under the same "wiki" headinghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroi..._Jazz_Festival.

To a great degree, I agree with what you are suggesting [[and I hope it wasn't an attempt to 1-up someone who attended the very first event in 2000-though, I trust it wasn't.).

Hour Detroit [[ugh) ran an article showing it's [[the festival's) evolution with timeline and how it went from the hands of Craig [[& Co.) to May to Saunderson and on. Also, it showed how a free event went to being $75 a day [[!?). In that case, I can see it being quite a different event.

Yet, for the sake of labeling, here is the secular [[as far as Detroit is concerned) mainstream definition, and again, both the old and new events fall under the umbrella definition.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroi...Music_Festival

I enjoy a good Movement after my morning coffee!