Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Do shake shack's shakes have egg whites in their ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm not sure where you live but there's one off of 75 in Madison Heights. In front of the Home Depot. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere.
    Thx for the heads-up, but the one in Livonia, on I-96 and Middlebelt is closer for me..

Default You and Me Both Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Well, downtown now has foot traffic besides at lunch; I think they will do great business. But I would hardly call downtown workers a "captive audience" in terms of food options at lunch. There are a lot now, with many more on the way.

Shake Shack locations in NYC [[I know they are in many cities now, but I've only been in New York ones) range from outdoor take out [[the original location in Madison Square Park), to sit-down cafeteria-style restaurants, to food-courty versions [[CitiField, home of the Mets; also NYC area airports).

Danny Meyer is renowned for his hospitality & positive attitude at work. He did spin off Shake Shack from his company in a [[very successful) IPO; I don't know how much he still owns. Service is consistently good, though. They take it very seriously and will not suffer poor attitudes among staff.

The one spectacular food company that I wish would open a real Detroit outpost [[or several) is Ann Arbor's own Zingerman's. The food there is easily better than any deli I ever ate in while living in New York [[and I ate in MANY; thus my waistline). Service is exceptional. Prices, of course, match the quality of food and service. I think they could open a full on restaurant downtown somewhere, with an attached retail store. I also think Detroit would embrace Zingerman's soup-and-sandwich only little stores or kiosks just about anywhere there are people.
    Zingerman’s is unique to Ann Arbor. I lived in Ann Arbor for ~ 20 years, and I worked with Ari and Paul [[the two original owners) way back in the day – 1980. Both of them work for Main Streets Ventures, and helped opened a restaurant named Maude’s. Paul left right after I started, but I worked with Ari about a year before he left and they both started this deli called Zingerman’s – there is no Mr. Zingerman. Both of them are the nicest guys, gentlemen to a tee.
    The food at Zingerman’s is absolutely the best available in the markets of America, if not the world. Ari travels the globe every year – at least he did – searching and sourcing the finest ingredients to offer their customers. The result is a deli to equal to any deli in New York city. Second to none.
    Ann Arbor is a cosmopolitan city; unlike any other Big Ten college town. Its students – and more importantly their parents – are worldly and wealthy, not to mention they visit often, and Zingerman’s line out the door on football Saturday’s is legendary. Ann Arborites are diverse, highly educated, and economically comfortable.
    Not sure if Detroit, or Detroiters, downtown or not, is ready for a Zingerman’s. Sandwiches are $15.00 to $20.00, there are two sizes, and the smaller portion is stuffed with enough melt in your mouth meat [[the lean pastrami is heaven), served on thick cut homemade bread to satisfy a hungry bear. Not for the faint of heart, size or price.
    I’ve eaten ate Zingerman’s Roadhouse as well – top notch, not white glove – but again the finest ingredients. We had the Cowboy steaks, I want to say $50.00 each.
    A Certified gourmands Heaven – the deli is more like a deli in Paris.
    I could go on and on about their food, and rare and hard to find pantry staples.
    Their olive oil and balsamic vinegar collection is like picking a fine wine – some complete with registration numbers.

They've knocked a few holes in the wall that separates the two suites they will be occupying.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Zingerman’s is unique to Ann Arbor. I lived in Ann Arbor for ~ 20 years, and I worked with Ari and Paul [[the two original owners) way back in the day – 1980. Both of them work for Main Streets Ventures, and helped opened a restaurant named Maude’s. Paul left right after I started, but I worked with Ari about a year before he left and they both started this deli called Zingerman’s – there is no Mr. Zingerman. Both of them are the nicest guys, gentlemen to a tee.
    The food at Zingerman’s is absolutely the best available in the markets of America, if not the world. Ari travels the globe every year – at least he did – searching and sourcing the finest ingredients to offer their customers. The result is a deli to equal to any deli in New York city. Second to none.
    Ann Arbor is a cosmopolitan city; unlike any other Big Ten college town. Its students – and more importantly their parents – are worldly and wealthy, not to mention they visit often, and Zingerman’s line out the door on football Saturday’s is legendary. Ann Arborites are diverse, highly educated, and economically comfortable.
    Not sure if Detroit, or Detroiters, downtown or not, is ready for a Zingerman’s. Sandwiches are $15.00 to $20.00, there are two sizes, and the smaller portion is stuffed with enough melt in your mouth meat [[the lean pastrami is heaven), served on thick cut homemade bread to satisfy a hungry bear. Not for the faint of heart, size or price.
    I’ve eaten ate Zingerman’s Roadhouse as well – top notch, not white glove – but again the finest ingredients. We had the Cowboy steaks, I want to say $50.00 each.
    A Certified gourmands Heaven – the deli is more like a deli in Paris.
    I could go on and on about their food, and rare and hard to find pantry staples.
    Their olive oil and balsamic vinegar collection is like picking a fine wine – some complete with registration numbers.
    And Ann Arbor people wonder why people think of them as snobby.

Zingerman's isn't some Ann Arbor secret. I'm sure Detroit, with plenty of Michigan fans and alums, would welcome a Zingerman's outpost in Detroit. They already know the cost and what they get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    And Ann Arbor people wonder why people think of them as snobby.

Zingerman's isn't some Ann Arbor secret. I'm sure Detroit, with plenty of Michigan fans and alums, would welcome a Zingerman's outpost in Detroit. They already know the cost and what they get out of it.
    We don't need Zingerman's. We've got Mudgie's.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    We don't need Zingerman's. We've got Mudgie's.
    While there is certainly a saturation point, I think until you reach that [[and Detroit is far from it), more great options only benefit the current good options: more foot traffic, more reason to eat out more frequently, more cross-pollination of customers, ideas & staff.

As it is, I enjoy Mudgie's and would still be a semi-regular* even if Zingerman's came to town. Besides, I'd bet a Zingerman's would go downtown proper or midtown.

*I neither live nor work in Corktown, although I have scoped out locations for a possible new bar in the area. Details to follow, if it comes together [[late this year, if an agreement on the space can be made; devil in the details).

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    From Detroit, lived in Ann Arbor, went to the U, ate at Zingerman's, lived in New York, foodie, deli lover....and I must say this post is asinine.

I am not suggesting Zingerman's should do one thing or another. It's all good if they want to stay an Ann Arbor thing. But they shouldn't do it on your reasoning.

Just to contrast, the buzzy new Katoi considered itself "in exile" when it was temporarily operating in A2 prior to its permanent Michigan Ave. spot opening. http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...ning/81324162/
    Last edited by Mackinaw; May-31-16 at 11:10 PM.

I used to think Zingerman's was pretty good. Then I read SDCC's post and now I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I used to think Zingerman's was pretty good. Then I read SDCC's post and now I hate them.
    SDCC's post gave me cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    So is this like the East Coast version of In and Out burger? I've not been to either of them.
    No, it's not nearly that good.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I never gave them any thought, and now I will probably avoid them forever. Good thing for Zingerman's that surely only a tiny percentage of its customers read DYes.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    SDCC's post gave me cancer.
    You and me both.. I've never read something more pretentious on this forum. Where is Bham when you need them?

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    You and me both.. I've never read something more pretentious on this forum. Where is Bham when you need them?
    The funny thing is I love Zingerman's and Ann Arbor but reading that post made me understand why State fans hate on us, at least a little bit. I almost screamed Ann Arbor is a whore. Lol.

Maybe the folks whose kids are going to U of M have money but Ann Arbor's median household income of $63K hardly gives them a right to be snobby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2