Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Hillary and Bernie Run? Sanders as VP

From Salon, not exactly a conservative site, eh-hmm.

Hillary must pick Bernie for VP: She may even need him more than he needs her

Yes, it's time for Democrats to unite, but also for Hillary to recognize she needs help with the progressive base

There are two ways to look at this. The first is that it’s not much of a stretch for a Sanders supporter to cast a vote for Donald Trump. Earlier in this campaign, political reporters kept running into uncommitted voters trying to decide between the two. Trump is not really a conservative—in some ways, he’s not even a Republican. He shares an iconoclastic streak with Sanders, who until last year didn’t refer to himself as a Democrat at all. Both men are running, really, as populists, and both have settled on the same storyline about Clinton, which is summed up in Trump’s nickname for her: “Corrupt Hillary.”

...they complement each other. Sanders has the feisty populist vision and aura of incorruptibility that Clinton so sorely lacks, while Clinton has the experience and gimlet-eyed policy chops that have eluded Sanders in his many years of howling in the political wilderness. Together, with Clinton suiting up to take that 3 a.m. phone call in the Oval Office while Sanders roams the country rallying the troops and shaming the Republicans, they could make a pretty good team.

Full article:
    http://www.salon.com/2016/05/21/hill..._he_needs_her/
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-22-16 at 04:15 PM.

2. Default

I would like to see that. And on the off chance that Bernie should somehow end up with the majority of votes and delegates and win, I would hope Hillary would agree to be on the ticket with him.

Hillary would have to move to the left on some issues in which they are not that far apart anyway. That will depend on the balance of the primaries and the final real people vote count. If Hillary holds her 2-3 million vote count lead, as appears probable, I don't see how she can't be the candidate.

I also think Hillary should make a dramatic gesture right now and propose the super delegates be proportioned to the percentage of the real people votes earned. It would show boldness, confidence, deflate the anti-establishment arguments aimed at her and open the way for dialogue with Bernie.

The sticking point could be over how the general election campaign is funded. Will it be hypocrisy to be a part of a campaign funded by big money donors?

VP would be a wasted role for Bernie. He would be more effective continuing in the Senate.
    Anyway, the race is not over yet. Plus Hillary still has the little problem of the FBI investigation hanging over her. She might not be the nominee.

I actually thought it would be coming to that, eventually. One can climb up on the other's shoulders and cackle "Ha Ha Ha, who's bigger now, Donald!"

Don't matter. Both are slightly to the left of Lenin.

Additional thoughts- I really don't see Hillary and Bernie buddying up after the campaign. They are too far apart on too many issues. Plus Hillary has not been running a clean campaign. A lot of states have been experiencing voting "irregularities" that seem to benefit Hillary.

Then there's her paid troll army:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2613980

Then there was the Clinton plan to "disqualify and discredit" Bernie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEJUemhG4vA

She's distorted his record at various times.

I think the Dem. party is splitting in half. I don't see how unification is possible.

Another link. She seems more interested in courting Repubs. than left wing Dems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us...arty.html?_r=0

Hah! And most Americans be they dems of repubs are not interested in a further shift that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah! And most Americans be they dems of repubs are not interested in a further shift that way.
    Wrong.

http://www.alternet.org/election-201...rongly-support

Independent Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders has been described as radical or fringe by some but many of Sanders’ views and policy proposals are supported by Americans, according to public opinion surveys.

Hillary will need a VP to beat Trump. So it'll be Bernie, or Bill, or a team of VP's consisting of a native American, a black, a latino, a muslim, a BLT etc. [[my money's on Bill). But it's all really academic because Donald will win.

I still don't think that is MOST Americans. But more than Hillary Clinton considered!

If it's on the internet, it's got to be true.

Surely, Bernie has too much integrity to be silent on what he has spent a lifetime promoting to be window dressing for a corrupt corporatist warmonger. Imagine the possibility of loss after having so sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    VP would be a wasted role for Bernie. He would be more effective continuing in the Senate.
    Anyway, the race is not over yet. Plus Hillary still has the little problem of the FBI investigation hanging over her. She might not be the nominee.
    Ummmm.....don't forget, Mr. Trump has some legal issues hanging over his head.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-un...les-1461707442

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    If it's on the internet, it's got to be true.
    Did you even bother to read it? It's based on poll results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I guess one could have this opinion if they never come out of their basement to experience the world. It's still wrong, but I can understand the context.

Did you even bother to read it? It's based on poll results.
    I could run that same poll on the same number of people, and come out with totally different results. It's not what you poll, it's who you poll. Everybody, Dems, Reps, and everyone in between, post their own rhetoric to try to win the election. Remember Obama's campaign? He had the best intentions. I couldn't wait for him to revamp healthcare in the US. How did that turn out? I'm sure Bernie, too, has the best intentions, but implementation is a different story. If Bernie ends up being VP, chances are he'll be even more powerless, especially with Hillary @ the helm.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-25-16 at 08:27 AM.

As vice president he'd be president of the senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Remember Obama's campaign? He had the best intentions. I couldn't wait for him to revamp healthcare in the US. How did that turn out? I'm sure Bernie, too, has the best intentions, but implementation is a different story. .
    Corporate money from the health care industry messed up reform last time. Bernie isn't beholden to that. He's at least willing to try to implement a national health care plan, Hillary isn't.

I'm looking forward to the Debates when the Democrats have to stage manage Hillary's shortage of height at 5' 7" against Donald's 6' 3". I know height makes no difference but tell that to the undecided voters who will picture them negotiating on a world stage. Maybe she can wear Lady Gaga shoes or they can put her behind a curtain as per The Wizard of Oz. Mind you anything will get us better results than a puny looking apologetic metrosexual [[come to think about it, who's bathroom do they use)?
    Last edited by coracle; May-26-16 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Debates when the Democrats have to stage manage Hillary's shortage of height at 5' 7" against Donald's 6' 3". I know height makes no difference but tell that to the undecided voters who will picture them negotiating on a world stage. Maybe she can wear Lady Gaga shoes or they can put her behind a curtain as per The Wizard of Oz. Mind you anything will get us better results than a puny looking apologetic metrosexual [[come to think about it, who's bathroom do they use)?
    What about a Bernie and Trump debate? It might happen! It was a comedy skit, now it might be real:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/donald-tr...s-for-charity/

What about a Bernie and Trump debate? It might happen! It was a comedy skit, now it might be real:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/donald-tr...s-for-charity/
    It won't happen because Trump has nothing to gain. It would only give Bernie an advantage over Hillary and Trump wants to run against her because she'll be a shoo-in for him to win. The danger is the Democrats will get rid of them both under some pretext and field a ringer [[please God let it be Biden and/or Pocahontas - or Obama will make himself Emperor for life with an Executive Order).

Now that Trump has reached the magic 1237 to become the official presumptive presidential candidate it's time for the Media to run programs reporting on themselves and their hundreds of talking heads to show us how incorrect their reporting has been and how useless their opinions were. Let's face it, had he failed they would NEVER have stopped crowing about how clever they had been. Trump is right, the media people are liers. Imagine the countless hours they spent on making sure he didn't reach 1237 and they FAILED. How delicious.
    Last edited by coracle; May-27-16 at 05:37 AM.

The Democrat Party has evolved from JFK who put a man on the moon to Obama who put a man in the women's bathroom. Now we've got Bernie [[desperately needed in Venezuela) and Hillary. Thank you God for Donald [[we might have got a Dole or a Bush or a McCain or a Romney or a Ryan).
    Last edited by coracle; May-27-16 at 06:22 PM.

Corporate money from the health care industry messed up reform last time. Bernie isn't beholden to that. He's at least willing to try to implement a national health care plan, Hillary isn't.
    The Repubs messed up the health care reform last time. Bernie can have the best of intentions and game plan, but won't pass jack, without support and approval of Congress, Senate and the House. Therein lies the rub. Anyone, Repub or Dem, who now has a lion's share of the pie, [[read: backed by special interest groups) isn't going to back Bernie's ideas, just for the good of mankind, and let go of the cash-cow's tail. That's what happened to the last health care reform. It was compromised, and recompromised, until you got what you have today. I will say, that in lieu of the recent ruling against Hilary and her server, Bernie does have a better shot @ the nomination. Personally, I find it a little strange that ruling comes now, on the eve of the nominations. I think her own party sold her out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast