Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is best ground transportation to and from Metro airport?

Have you taken a cab, limo or uber to or from Metro airport recently?
    What was your experience like and how much did you pay?
    Also, where were you coming from locally?
    Thanks.

A friend @ work his wife used Metro Cars. He said it was a positive experience.

I've used the Skoot shuttle to/from downtown [[caught it at Ren Cen, but it goes to all the major hotels) several times. $20 each way if booked online. $25 for areas a little further away from downtown. Has always been a pleasant experience.

SMART bus route 125 nominally runs from downtown Detroit to both
    terminals of Metro airport.

It is not direct. It does not always run all the way to downtown. It is
    often detoured. It takes an hour to get from downtown to the airport.
    It is mostly used by airport employees. SMART buses break down
    sometimes. I don't know if this one picks up students after school
    anywhere along the line - standing room only if so. Basically, you
    have to know what you are doing when you take it.

I was particularly interested in it for a while because I could theoretically
    park at work [[for me, secure and free parking with my parking pass) and
    ride from there to the airport for about two dollars, and then from there,
    fly to New York or wherever for a couple of days.

last I checked Uber is available to the airport but not from [[due to some sort of Airport regulations?)

the fact that Detroit has no rail transportation from the airport to the center of the city is a disgrace to the entire region.

Agree about Skoot. www.rideskoot.com is the address. If you're riding solo, it's probably the best deal. 1/3 the cost of Metro Cars and half of the cost of Uber Black Car. The only issue is that you are sharing the shuttle with other people, therefore you may need to be flexible on pickup time. Obviously, the earlier you reserve it, the more likely you can get the pickup time you want otherwise you might have to go 30-60 min. earlier.

UberX is the next best deal if you're going by yourself. The cost is about the same, and you have the advantage of potentially getting a pickup at a more convenient time. The problem is that you can't control how much demand there is for UberX at any given time...meaning there just may not be cars available, or if there are, it might be at 1.5x-2.0x surcharge, depending on how high the demand spike is.

If there are more than one of you being dropped off, then UberX is probably the better deal. Skoot charges per person. UberX charges for one car. So if it's you and two friends splitting a $25 UberX ride...that's super cheap. Same pickup from Skoot is $70-ish with tip.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    last I checked Uber is available to the airport but not from [[due to some sort of Airport regulations?)

the fact that Detroit has no rail transportation from the airport to the center of the city is a disgrace to the entire region.
    Most cities don't allow Uber to do airport pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Most cities don't allow Uber to do airport pickups.
    I travel between Washington and Detroit every other week and take Uber both ways from the airports. The Uber from Metro Airport to my apt in Midtown is usually $20-$25. If I go to my office at One Detroit Center, it's about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    I travel between Washington and Detroit every other week and take Uber both ways from the airports. The Uber from Metro Airport to my apt in Midtown is usually $20-$25. If I go to my office at One Detroit Center, it's about the same.
    Then I believe they are picking you up illegally when they pick you up at Metro.

Then I believe they are picking you up illegally when they pick you up at Metro.
    That may have been true at one time. Uber now has permission to pickup at DTW and many other airports around the country. At DTW, the passenger is charged a $5 surcharge.

https://www.uber.com/cities/detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    That may have been true at one time. Uber now has permission to pickup at DTW and many other airports around the country. At DTW, the passenger is charged a $5 surcharge.

https://www.uber.com/cities/detroit/
    I'm pretty sure that pickups are still illegal at DTW by Uber. It is illegal for any car service to faciliate passenger pickups at DTW, except Metro Cars and Metro Cabs.

It has always been legal for Uber to drop off there. Uber lets their drivers operate at their own risk but I believe they do not allow their cars to be visible on the app when on airport property [[according to what I've seen online).

I'm pretty sure that pickups are still illegal at DTW by Uber. It is illegal for any car service to faciliate passenger pickups at DTW, except Metro Cars and Metro Cabs.

It has always been legal for Uber to drop off there. Uber lets their drivers operate at their own risk but I believe they do not allow their cars to be visible on the app when on airport property [[according to what I've seen online).

The Airport Surcharge of $5 applies to all uberX, uberXL, and uberSELECT trips to and from Detroit Metropolitan Airport [[DTW).

Just trying to better understand...are you saying that the extra $5 surcharge is being charged by Uber and that none of that goes to DTW in exchange for permission to pick-up there? Or are you saying that Uber pays that $5 to DTW [[and that the airport accepts the money) even though Uber is prohibited from picking up?

I know that DTW politics re: car service and cabs is crazy, so nothing would surprise me anymore.

Best I can tell, this is not true. Any provider can pick up at the airport so long as they follow the for-hire transportation regulations [[where to pick up passengers, paying the access/pick-up fee, drivers with chauffer's licenses, vehicles registered with MDOT, etc.). This includes any black car/limo company and any cab company. Metro Cars/Cabs only has a contract to provide walk-up/on-demand service [[non-reservation), as opposed to cabs/black cars/ubers, which you have to reserve or order up online or with a phone call.

The airport treats uber just like these cab/black car companies. So long as the drivers follow all the rules, then they can pick up just like any other cab/black car companies. This isn't so much a problem with the uber service, because those are basically just black car drivers using an online ordering mechanism, but could cause friction with the airport where uberx [[or lyft) uses improperly licensed drivers.

i believe that iheartthed is right where he/she says dropoffs are basically unregulated for cabs/black cars/ubers.

[[Source: Someone I am pretty close with represents uber/lyft and we've talked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Just trying to better understand...are you saying that the extra $5 surcharge is being charged by Uber and that none of that goes to DTW in exchange for permission to pick-up there? Or are you saying that Uber pays that $5 to DTW [[and that the airport accepts the money) even though Uber is prohibited from picking up?

I know that DTW politics re: car service and cabs is crazy, so nothing would surprise me anymore.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I don't think that money is going to DTW at all because I don't think there is an agreement between Uber and the airport authority. According to the Uber site, the surcharge is applied on trips to and from the airport. Uber has always been allowed to legally do drop offs at Metro, so why would that be subject to surcharge under now if it was for the aiport?

I have been looking for media reports of an update to confirm that Uber is now able to pick up at the airport, but I cannot find one. Everything I see still says that it is illegal to pick up at Metro.

At DTW I take any available hotel shuttle to any offsite hotel and then call for an Uber from their lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Best I can tell, this is not true. Any provider can pick up at the airport so long as they follow the for-hire transportation regulations [[where to pick up passengers, paying the access/pick-up fee, drivers with chauffer's licenses, vehicles registered with MDOT, etc.). This includes any black car/limo company and any cab company. Metro Cars/Cabs only has a contract to provide walk-up/on-demand service [[non-reservation), as opposed to cabs/black cars/ubers, which you have to reserve or order up online or with a phone call.
    You're right, what I said was technically not correct, and you stated what I was trying to say better with the bolded part.

I have used the Michigan Flyer bus from East Lansing [[by way of Jackson and also stopping at two locations in Ann Arbor). It's $50 round-trip, which compares well to the cost of parking and flying from Lansing or driving and parking at Metro. Frequency is a little less than hourly, which often means it's faster than a shuttle plane from Lansing depending on how the connections work out. Reliability is probably better than the airlines, although without the benefit of a through ticket at a guaranteed price.

I have always been sorely pissed off at Wayne County's cab/black car monopoly at Metro, and the hostile treatment the airport authority gives to competing bus, transit, and ride-sharing services. The efforts of the Lansing airport authority to thwart the Michigan Flyer service were equally shameful.

serves ann arbor

www.myairride.com

Thanks guys.

None of you have friends or family that will take you????

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    At DTW I take any available hotel shuttle to any offsite hotel and then call for an Uber from their lobby.
    That's thinking outside the box.
    I just park my car at one of the off airport lots and the hell with it.

For long term travel we have used Metro Cars and Grosse Pointe Coach extensively in the past. It was typically around $100 [[including tip). For shorter term travel, of a few weeks or less, we have found it more advantageous to drive to the airport ourselves.

For the past several years we have paid a colleague's son to take us to and from the airport for longer term travel.

The airport treats uber just like these cab/black car companies. So long as the drivers follow all the rules, then they can pick up just like any other cab/black car companies. This isn't so much a problem with the uber service, because those are basically just black car drivers using an online ordering mechanism, but could cause friction with the airport where uberx [[or lyft) uses improperly licensed drivers.

i believe that iheartthed is right where he/she says dropoffs are basically unregulated for cabs/black cars/ubers.

[[Source: Someone I am pretty close with represents uber/lyft and we've talked about it.
    Does your friend with uber/lyft think the 'you must follow the rules' results in U/L being able to effectively service Metro Airport? It sounds to me like the rules are a rigged game where only the big guys can play, and the small entrepreneur is boxed out. You need an MDOT registration? Really? You have to ask if that rule exists to protect the public, or to protect the big guys from competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Does your friend with uber/lyft think the 'you must follow the rules' results in U/L being able to effectively service Metro Airport? It sounds to me like the rules are a rigged game where only the big guys can play, and the small entrepreneur is boxed out. You need an MDOT registration? Really? You have to ask if that rule exists to protect the public, or to protect the big guys from competition.
    I don't know for sure, but I do know that at least one "little guy" company that's just one [[chauffer's license) guy with his one [[registered) car have no problem picking folks up at the airport, because I've used him many times.

I think it's less about exclusion and more about a level playing field, be it with the big guys like checker or the little guy that I use.

I don't know for sure, but I do know that at least one "little guy" company that's just one [[chauffer's license) guy with his one [[registered) car have no problem picking folks up at the airport, because I've used him many times.

I think it's less about exclusion and more about a level playing field, be it with the big guys like checker or the little guy that I use.
    From what I understand, Romulus police have plain clothes people in the baggage claim looking for gypsy cab guys and getting their cars stopped with passengers aboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast