Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default DIA Now - and Then

I remember the Kresge Court in the mid 60s, when I attended WSU. It was a favorite place for a quiet snack - coffee and one of Ranier Pastry's great little dacquoises - either when reading by myself or conversing with friends. The simple furniture afforded no annoying visual clutter and the traffic level did not resemble that of DTW on a Monday morning, quite a contrast to the cacophonous commotion assaulting one today. One is pleased that the institution endures but is it necessary that it be so coarsened?
    Last edited by A2Mike; May-13-16 at 07:48 AM.

I tried to link my post to two pertinent pictures but is seems impossible to add any pictures to a post on this site, which is rapidly losing its usefulness. Facebook is much easier to use.
    Last edited by A2Mike; May-13-16 at 08:05 AM.

People post photos all of the time... You are the first person I have seen complain about the Kresge Court changes. They are finally maximizing the space and I have yet to be in there where it still wasn't a lovely place for a respite.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    People post photos all of the time... You are the first person I have seen complain about the Kresge Court changes. They are finally maximizing the space and I have yet to be in there where it still wasn't a lovely place for a respite.
    This. Kresge court is a zillion times better after the redesign.

5. Default

You're going back two layers of the Kresge Court and I agree it was simple and charming, having kind of a street cafe feel. I spent a lot of time there too stretching a cup of coffee out a couple of hours, particularly on hot summer days to take advantage of the AC. It had a lovely, if uneven, giant flagstones floor, wrought iron chairs and glass top tables interspersed by giant potted plants. Above a large fabric 'parachute' [as we called it] with a hole in the center softened the sunlight from the sky light giving the place a warm yellowish cast.

This famous picture by Bill Rauhauser captures that look and flavor.

Regrettably smoking was permitted there and in the Rivera Court[!] that had to be putting a film on the art and yellowing the parachute. Sad to say I was part of the problem in those days.

I like the current version as it is relevant to today with its connectivity aspects yet still having quiet corners. The in-between version was very disappointing. The lovely flagstones were replaced with a forgettable smooth floor and the furniture was like any coney in Detroit. A new sky light gave it a cold bluish cast and seemed to kill many of the replacement plants that always seemed sickly.

For those of you not around here, here is a 360 Photosynth panorama I made a couple of years ago. Drag your mouse around on the picture to see all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    You're going back two layers of the Kresge Court and I agree it was simple and charming, having kind of a street cafe feel. I spent a lot of time there too stretching a cup of coffee out a couple of hours, particularly on hot summer days to take advantage of the AC. It had a lovely, if uneven, giant flagstones floor, wrought iron chairs and glass top tables interspersed by giant potted plants. Above a large fabric 'parachute' [as we called it] with a hole in the center softened the sunlight from the sky light giving the place a warm yellowish cast.

Regrettably smoking was permitted there and in the Rivera Court[!] that had to be putting a film on the art and yellowing the parachute. Sad to say I was part of the problem in those days.

I like the current version as it is relevant to today with it connectivity aspects but still having quiet corners. The in-between version was very disappointing. The lovely flagstones were replaced with a forgettable smooth floor and the furniture was like any coney in Detroit. A new sky light gave it a cold bluish cast and seemed to kill many of the replacement plants that always seemed sickly.
    I guess I'm not allowed to add my pictures contrasting the Kresge Court as it blissfully was with its condition today.

The interior 'design' feels more like a collection of whatever the supplier had left in stock rather than a continuous theme. Whomever drew up these plans is doing it not so much because they should, but rather because they can. Zero philosophy, this is anarchy in architecture...I abhor it.

The cacophony assault is visual...any attendant lack of civility from the patrons is merely encouraged by such.

I, too, spent a lot of time there, late sixties. The point about enjoying the air conditioning drew a smile. Neither of the two apartments I rented had air conditioning. Things change. In an era when some people spend more of their time looking at their phones than each other, Kresge Court is still attractive to me. The big change, personally, is that it is no longer just a short walk away. I do not miss the smoking!
    Last edited by Bobl; May-13-16 at 10:31 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    I guess I'm not allowed to add my pictures contrasting the Kresge Court as it blissfully was with its condition today.
    You are certainly allowed. See my private message regarding assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The interior 'design' feels more like a collection of whatever the supplier had left in stock rather than a continuous theme. Whomever drew up these plans is doing it not so much because they should, but rather because they can. Zero philosophy, this is anarchy in architecture...I abhor it.

The cacophony assault is visual...any attendant lack of civility from the patrons is merely encouraged by such.
    It is eclectic but not without a theme or continuity. The designer has done a lot of good work working in a range of styles. Perhaps some photos and other examples of their work will change your tune.

http://patrickthompsondesign.com/our_work.html

You're going back two layers of the Kresge Court ... The in-between version was very disappointing. The lovely flagstones were replaced with a forgettable smooth floor and the furniture was like any coney in Detroit. A new sky light gave it a cold bluish cast and seemed to kill many of the replacement plants that always seemed sickly.
    That first 'modernization' was pretty terrible, and removed much of what had been nice about the 'old' Kresge Court. Back when they were planning it I knew someone who worked pretty high up at the DIA and he was so outraged over the removal of the original flagstones that he threatened to file a complaint with the Historical Commission. But, apparently the floor wasn't protected and there was also some ADA-related concern about it. But that place ended up looking like it was designed by someone who did Burger Kings.

I do kind of like the Court the way it is now though [[although the couches are a bit much). And the fact that it is now often crowded and cacophonous is actually a sign of the comeback and overall health of the museum. It's no longer the empty hiding place I remember it being back during my high school years in the '70s
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-13-16 at 04:46 PM.

I like the current version as it is relevant to today with its connectivity aspects yet still having quiet corners. The in-between version was very disappointing. The lovely flagstones were replaced with a forgettable smooth floor and the furniture was like any coney in Detroit. A new sky light gave it a cold bluish cast and seemed to kill many of the replacement plants that always seemed sickly.

For those of you not around here, here is a 360 Photosynth panorama I made a couple of years ago. Drag your mouse around on the picture to see all sides.
    My two cents: The Kresge Court is one of my favorite places in the world and am very surprised at the negative opinion of the OP. Stretching a cup of coffee out to a couple hours here with a good book, with a little people watching mixed in, is one of my simple pleasures

Fantastic post - I love the 360! Also, i know I have seen this photograph before but I didn't realize where it was taken. Reminds me of our Detroit version of Breakfast at Tiffany's. The look on the woman's face is enthralling....

I very much liked Kresge Court in its previous forms, and I don't like everything abou the current setup, but personally I don't think the changes are bad. It is a very pleasant spot to have a snack or sit and read, as it was 50 years ago. You can't really expect everyone to approve of changes to a place that was already attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    It is eclectic but not without a theme or continuity. The designer has done a lot of good work working in a range of styles. Perhaps some photos and other examples of their work will change your tune.

http://patrickthompsondesign.com/our_work.html
    I hear you, like I heard the relative dressing down I got from my partner, who is in the business and knows the designer's credentials. She said the same thing, nearly verbatim!

I daresay that if one needs to study more of someone's work to get it, then they obviously phoned this design in and are riding on their reputation instead of actually making design which unites a space and those within it.

I cannot get past my initial reactions to this, and some of the modern design work I've stumbled across downtown...just like I don't get Gehry. Any Gehry.

I guess the philosopher within me shuns inventions which seem to ignore functionality...we've had a fun running discussion about form and function in our household over the past six years...

On that site, the only other truly 'busy' design is the one for the Skidmore Studios...that and the Kresge Court are the ones offensive to my sensibilities...I would've hired them based on that portfolio!

My comments on the Kresge Court stand firmer after viewing their website...it is easily the least continuous, fragmented non-design of the bunch. Kinda looks like a passive-aggressive lashing out against the institution, actually.

Are you glad the the DIA is free for tri-county residents. Free art galore.

Glad to see this post. Haven't been to the DIA since the mid 60s. On my bucket list for next trip back to MI.