Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Are there any Downriver outdoor Exercise Circuits ... also, dedicated bike trails ??

1) I'm looking for any park etc in the downriver area [[particularly the Trenton, Wyandotte, Riverview, Southgate area) that has one of those outdoor exercise circuits with various exercise structures. Know of any?

2) Also, for the same area; are there any dedicated bike trails ... whether city, or wood-chip, or mountain bike type ??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Try Memorial Park in Wyandotte. I went there on Friday, they have a looping walking path that's a mile-and-a-half long. There's also a couple of baseball diamonds and a couple of soccer fields that line it, plus the skate park and a playground.

It's on Pennsylvania, north side, just off of Quarry and easily a couple minutes from Biddle/West Jefferson and Fort Street.

If you're planning on that, the closest bus routes are the 160 and the 830, get off at the Meijer on Fort Street and walk from there across Fort Street up to Quarry, then a short jog down to Marshall Street, follow that two blocks east into Memorial Park. The most difficult part is crossing Fort Street.
    Last edited by mtburb; May-09-16 at 11:35 AM.

There is a circular drive within 162-acre Elizabeth Park in Trenton on the riverfront that you can bike around

Google Earth "Photosphere" of circular drive

Elizabeth_Park_Map_6-19-13.pdf

Willow MetroPark, Oakwoods MetroPark, and Lake Erie MetroPark are about 20-25 minutes from Trenton and have miles of paved bike trails, however, if you want to drive into these parks, you have to purchase the MetroParks vehicle pass which is $35

http://www.metroparks.com/Biking

Yes, the Historic Council Point Park in Lincoln Park, MI. Home of the Chief Pontiac and his Great Lakes Indian Tribe along with the French. Plan to seize Fort Detroit. in 1760s.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Willow MetroPark, Oakwoods MetroPark, and Lake Erie MetroPark are about 20-25 minutes from Trenton and have miles of paved bike trails, however, if you want to drive into these parks, you have to purchase the MetroParks vehicle pass which is $35

http://www.metroparks.com/Biking
    And the worst part is that unlike how DDOT now provides service within Belle Isle again for just the bus fare, you can't even get in for free to any of those three parks if you already paid your bus fare-in fact, you can't even take one there at all because all are in communities that have decided to opt out of SMART.

Thank you everyone for your responses!
    I'm trying to find some interesting ways to cross-train [[besides the gym and running) in the area. My bicycle is old and tired ... and I'm not the most enthusiastic biker. A bit short on ideas. I prefer activity with real intensity ... not all that interested in "sports" or games. Thought about roller blades ... probably won't go buy some tho.

Elizabeth Park [[trenton) does have some fitness stations. Elizabeth park will be getting some new "weight lifting" type stations [[equipment that uses body weight etc) in June.

Nankin Mills park, which is the home park of Hines Park, MIGHT have some "crossfit" stations [[think "American Ninja") installed in the future ... but it is barely out of the idea/planning stage. Not a done deal ... stuck somewhere between brainstorming and money right now, apparently.

Hines also has Mountain Biking trails near the Ben Arboretum in N.W. Hines near 7mile rd. [[rated by the Michigan Mountain Bike Association).

There is also a hill for climbing ... "Middlebelt Hill" near Perrin Park between Middlebelt + Inkster on Hines drive. Never seen it but apparently it is available.

Still on the hunt for other ideas ... Any further suggestions still most appreciated.
    Last edited by Tony Codfish; May-11-16 at 12:43 PM.

There's a bike path/trail that runs from Lake Erie Metropark, Through Flat Rock, Connecting to Oakwoods metropark. Once you're in the Oakwoods, the trail then runs 13 miles From southern tip of Oakwoods metropark all the way to the Northern tip of Lower Huron Metropark. This path also links to the recently rebuilt I-275 Bike path. You can go all the way to Walled Lake on the 275 trail. There's also a partial link between the still being built Detroit river wildlife refuge and Lake Erie metropark.

And for those of you too cheap to pay for daily or annual metropark pass, You can park for free at Huroc Park in Flatrock and use the Bike trail to get into the Metroparks.

I usually ride at the metroparks on the way home from work.

I also ride the gravel 2 track maintenance roads at Pt. Mouilee State Game Area. When it's not hunting season. [[You need an extra permit to enter the Game area during hunting season.) This is a great place to ride on Hot Days since most of the trails run out onto a peninsula in Lake Erie. Nice cooling off the lake.

If you're looking at for another great summer time activity, Buy a Kayak. There are many interesting places to Kayak Downriver.