Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As I recall, Moss had a winning record when let go. Sparky was a media superstar and Campbell needed someone to buy him time until the farm club provided a contending team.
    It took five more years until Sparky delivered a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    As I recall, Moss had a winning record when let go. Sparky was a media superstar and Campbell needed someone to buy him time until the farm club provided a contending team.
    It took five more years until Sparky delivered a championship.
    Moss was 27-26 before Sparky Anderson was hired, after 12-24 the prior year in Chicago. i think he was just a place holder until someone better came along. Sparky was more than media superstar, he was also a superstar manager [[nearly .600 with Cinci). Winning the division in 1987 reminded me of Billy Martin's feat in 1972 [[although Martin took a worst team much closer to the World Series, with the Tigers losing 2-1 in game 5 to Oakland).

Didn't the Tigers drop about 20 in a row back in the mid 70's?
    If we get close again, let's talk about it then. We still have ways to go.

Not overly familiar with Brad Ausmus, but it appears that pitching is the team problem, not the manager. The front office took apart a good bit of team last year year hoping they would bounce back. I don't begrudge the front office for their moves in 2015, but they do not appear to have championship material this season. Firing Ausmus will not matter. Are there legit beefs against his managerial smarts?

The experiment didn't work, last year or this year, time to cut-bait before more players flip fans the byrd [[accepted behavior)......

That's right! Blame the manager for his woes! He's no Leland, but he can and manage and keep the media dogs out.

7. Default

OMG. 8 run lead blown. 3 errors? Just pulled ahead again with Castellanos HR but OMG. Good thing we have the bullpen to hold lead. /sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    OMG. 8 run lead blown. 3 errors? Just pulled ahead again with Castellanos HR but OMG. Good thing we have the bullpen to hold lead. /sarcasm.
    Looks like Zimmermann is coming back to earth a bit, after that unreal start. Castellanos is having a breakout season, hope he keeps it up, but Upton is scuffling real bad, looks like he's pressing because of that albatross contract..

Looks like Brad is the man... and thanks to his main man, Miggy [[and a few others who are pounding the ball).

As long as Miggy, V-Mart, Nick C, Ian, etc. are hitting we have a shot in a high scoring, entertaining game... [[and healthy. Amazing the difference between a healthy and not healthy Miggy. When healthy, pitchers should just intentionally walk him.)

Miguel Cabrera 2016 Splits

Duration AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG
    Last 7 Games 25 9 14 5 8 3 0 0 .560 .600 1.280

Last edited by emu steve; May-24-16 at 05:13 AM.

Maybe the hot weather has something to do with their surge. Miggy has been unreal the last few weeks, VMart has been VMart, Nick's having a breakout year, and Maybin has been a godsend. JV pitched like the 2012 JV last night, mind you it was the Phillies. If they can get JUp to start hitting, it would really stretch out the lineup, and they can get Sanchez and Pelfrey straightened out, they'll contend. Guess I wrote their epitaph too soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Maybe the hot weather has something to do with their surge. Miggy has been unreal the last few weeks, VMart has been VMart, Nick's having a breakout year, and Maybin has been a godsend. JV pitched like the 2012 JV last night, mind you it was the Phillies. If they can get JUp to start hitting, it would really stretch out the lineup, and they can get Sanchez and Pelfrey straightened out, they'll contend. Guess I wrote their epitaph too soon.....
    Castellanos has been amazing. For a guy who just couldn't read the low and away breaking pitch to suddenly be able to lay off those pitches has meant a huge turnaround for him. He's even managing to foul off the ones he does swing at where last yr. he would miss them by a foot. He'll never have great range but he's decent at 3rd and thanks to a little weight loss is running the bases better. I still get nervous every time Victor swings and misses and then tugs at the back of his shirt. It's just habit but getting him and Cabrera through a full season healthy is a real challenge.

12. Default

Ausmus for Hall of Fame! What a genius. Tigers on a tear. Putting jacket on homeplate a turning point.

Just kidding. But what a streaky team.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Castellanos ... couldn't read the low and away breaking pitch to suddenly be able to lay off those pitches has meant a huge turnaround for him
    Noticed the same thing. He used to remind me of Lance Parrish the way he would dive for and miss those.

BTW, anyone agree that the biggest missing piece is Andrew Miller, NYY?

He could close and Frankie R could be the setup man...

Sure the starters are still ??? with Fulmer, a kid; Greene, still out, etc.

But with our hitters Zimmerman, JV, Sanchez, Fulmer and Greene might be enough to out slug most teams....

We still have a few kid pitchers who might still help this year...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW, anyone agree that the biggest missing piece is Andrew Miller, NYY?

He could close and Frankie R could be the setup man...

Sure the starters are still ??? with Fulmer, a kid; Greene, still out, etc.

But with our hitters Zimmerman, JV, Sanchez, Fulmer and Greene might be enough to out slug most teams....

We still have a few kid pitchers who might still help this year...
    I heard the Yankees are thinking about trading him. Detroit drafted him and Maybin, and traded both for Cabrera. Would be nice to have both of them back, along with Miggy. However, I don't see why NY would trade him when they potentially have the best backend bullpen in the majors with Miller, Betances and Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I heard the Yankees are thinking about trading him. Detroit drafted him and Maybin, and traded both for Cabrera. Would be nice to have both of them back, along with Miggy. However, I don't see why NY would trade him when they potentially have the best backend bullpen in the majors with Miller, Betances and Chapman.
    Yankees want to get younger and would want an MLB ready position player or starting pitcher in return. We could offer Moya. They might love that lefty power bat in that park. I would rather give them Upton and about 40 million though. We did it with Fielder. Always risky trading for a reliever though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2