Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who should be new Tiger Manager?

It's just a matter of time now [[any day now ...maybe tomorrow?) the Tigers will be naming a new manager to salvage this season.
    No one was expecting a below .500 season and this season is spinning out of control with two consecutive series losses.
    Who will the Tigers turn to?

Somebody who is a sonuvabitch and not a nice guy. That's what's needed.

On August 2, 1960, the Tigers and the Indians made baseball history as they traded non-playing managers. The Tigers sent Manager Jimmy Dykes to the Indians and received in return Manger Joe Gordon. Dykes part of the season was .458 and Gordon's part was .456. They remained mired in 6th place. Gordon was fired at the end of the year and moved on to have a dismal year in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    On August 2, 1960, the Tigers and the Indians made baseball history as they traded non-playing managers. The Tigers sent Manager Jimmy Dykes to the Indians and received in return Manger Joe Gordon. Dykes part of the season was .458 and Gordon's part was .456. They remained mired in 6th place. Gordon was fired at the end of the year and moved on to have a dismal year in KC.
    I guarantee that won't happen with this team. They will finish no worse than 5th.

So, “pragmatically” what is needed when it comes to manager-level leadership in the Tigers? What specific human-resource management skills does this person need to bring to the team?
    How expensive will it be to find an external candidate vs. an internal candidate?
    Is there a “Rooney Rule” equivalent in Major League Baseball? Has the team ever had a black or Hispanic head manager?

Getting a top-tier manager midseason would be very unusual. More likely than not, a current coach would get an interim [[remainder of season gig). Then, unless the interim guy turned it around, a new permanent manager would get hired in the off-season.

Currently, I think the Tigers' biggest management problem is in the front office. Too many expensive, mainly older players who aren't consistently productive. Also, it pains me to state it, but: Justin Verlander is not an amazing pitcher. It has been at least several years since he was a real ace. Yes, he has had injury issues. In reality, though, he is being paid a superstar's salary for being a pretty good rotation pitcher.

The Tigers SHOULD NOT rush out and hire someone. They should take time and wait until a great candidate emerges. And until the day he might be let go, they should not undermine Ausmus in any way.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I believe that trade was the origin of the saying "like trading deck chairs on the Titanic"

Watch. There will be a push to try and get Leyland. He already announced he's managing the United States in the World Baseball Classic [[or some international tourny) as a one year interim manager. I have no idea if he'd do it but stranger things have happened and he could bow out at the end of the year no matter what and Avila will get to hire "his" manager [[he wanted Ausmus out but they talked him into giving him another chance).

Ausmus may be a great guy with an Ivy league brain but he had literally 0 prior managing experience and he was expected to step into a contending team and win from the word go. It was arrogant and unfair to the veteran players and to him. So sad we lost some prime Miggy years to this bizarre experiment.

Probably will be another re-tread who's already managed 3 or 4 teams, although Ausmus was a 1st time manager, he clearly doesn't have a clue when it comes to making the right adjustments in game or otherwise. I'm for anyone that can get these guys to play with fire and emotion. This team is too laid back IMO. Now they go to the Nationals, who just got swept 4 games by the Cubs, who happen to be the best team in baseball. This series might determine Ausmus fate.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-09-16 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Watch. There will be a push to try and get Leyland. He already announced he's managing the United States in the World Baseball Classic [[or some international tourny) as a one year interim manager. I have no idea if he'd do it but stranger things have happened and he could bow out at the end of the year no matter what and Avila will get to hire "his" manager [[he wanted Ausmus out but they talked him into giving him another chance).

Ausmus may be a great guy with an Ivy league brain but he had literally 0 prior managing experience and he was expected to step into a contending team and win from the word go. It was arrogant and unfair to the veteran players and to him. So sad we lost some prime Miggy years to this bizarre experiment.
    I'm fine with Leyland.

BTW, how safe is the pitching coach????

Trump! Trump!!

Because it's all Obama's fault, and he will make everything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Probably will be another re-tread who's already managed 3 or 4 teams, although Ausmus was a 1st time manager, he clearly doesn't have a clue when it comes to making the right adjustments in game or otherwise. I'm for anyone that can get these guys to play with fire and emotion. This team is too laid back IMO. Now they go to the Nationals, who just got swept 4 games by the Cubs, who happen to be the best team in baseball. This series might determine Ausmus fate.
    That seems to be the case with baseball managers. Look at some of the guys who managed the Tigers over the last 100 years. A good example is HoF Manager Bucky Harris:

1924-1928: Washington Senators
    1929-1933: Detroit Tigers
    1934: Boston Red Sox
    1935-1942: Washington Senators
    1943: Philadelphia Phillies
    1947-1948: New York Yankees
    1950-1954: Washington Senators
    1955-1956: Detroit Tigers

In 29 years of managing he had an overall record of 2159-2219 [[.493)

Wouldn't it be nice if you could turn things around by just firing the manager? Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Most knowledgeable people will tell you a good manager is worth an extra 5 games, tops. There's a reason he's called the manager and not the coach in baseball. He moves people in and out of the lineup and for the most part, that's it. He can't "light a fire" under his players so they run through a wall or play tenacious defense, or even implement a new game plan the way you can in the other 3 major team sports. 90% of what differentiates baseball managers is how they handle the pitching staff. Do I think Ausmus is a great or even good manager. Not really. But then again, it doesn't really make much difference.

Lloyd McClennan would be the most logical in house promotion.

Players generally don't care. They have their contracts and money in the bank. "If we win, fine. If we don't, oh, well."

Ozzie Guillen

Ron washington!!!!!

I take back my earlier post that managers don't make much difference. The last 2 nights Ausmus has been pathetic. Max has 13 strikeouts through 7 innings and has totally overmatched McCann and Gose. They actually get runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out and can take the lead with a base hit. Left-handed hitting Salty and the league's leading hitter Castellanos are on the bench. Does he pinch hit for either McCann or Gose? No. Both strike out. I am now firmly in the fire Ausmus camp.

I don't like Ausmus, but I don't really understand why it's such a big deal whether or not he's fired.

If you look at the preseason predictions, the Tigers were projected to be a .500 team. The national press consensus was that this team is no better than average. At 15-18, they appear to be right around what was expected, maybe a tad worse.

So should he be fired? Maybe. He hasn't done well. But it isn't like this team is primed for a playoff run anyways. Maybe time to trade Cabrera, who could still generate quite a haul of prospects.

I'm normally not a "fire the manager" reactionary type, especially mid season, but this team should be better than .500 with this payroll. Would they have won if he had pinch hit? Maybe, maybe not but doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity and with no previous managing record to hang his hat on we have to assume this is his best. The players may make big bucks but they still have pride and they still want to win [[no one seems sad they have to work extra days when they win a playoff series) and when they're second guessing the manager [[reckless speculation on my part) that is not good.

I will say, I'm not sure why Max seemed to hint on wanting revenge. I think the Tigers offered him a pretty decent contract. It wasn't like we traded him or the offer was an insult.

While indirectly, it has nothing to do with Ausmus, as he's not pitching, but the bullpen blows another game vs the O's. I thought we had this thing fixed? I realize it happens once in a while, but this isn't the first game they've gave up the lead. Pelfrey can't catch a break.

Let's see what happens this weekend, If the Tigers don't at least split with O's, I think Brad gets the heave ho. I think Ausmus is in a no-win situation and he's no better or worse than most managers. It's results that count and he's not getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    While indirectly, it has nothing to do with Ausmus, as he's not pitching, but the bullpen blows another game vs the O's. I thought we had this thing fixed? I realize it happens once in a while, but this isn't the first game they've gave up the lead. Pelfrey can't catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Ron washington!!!!!
    I agree. Hardly a retread and loaded with as much personality as Leyland. Took Texas to the World Series twice [[beating "Smokes" and the Tigers one of those times). Currently a third base coach for the A's.

Rmember, Sparky was hired mid-season after Les Moss led the Tigers off to a disastrous April and May in 1980.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; May-14-16 at 01:05 PM.

Sparky was loved by Jim Campbell, it didn't end up that way.

Name:  2016-05-12 22.19.52.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  104.5 KB On a serious note, I really don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast