Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Jays picked up B.J. [[please call me Melvin now) Upton from the Padres for a low level Class A prospect. The Padres are paying all but 5 million of the 20 million+ left on his deal through 2017. Even though he's not the player he was with Tampa, he would be a hell of a lot better than Aviles and as good as that other Upton. When JD comes back we still have no 4th outfielder to play/pinch hit. He has 16 home runs and 20 stolen bases this year. Wake up Avila!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The Jays picked up B.J. [[please call me Melvin now) Upton from the Padres for a low level Class A prospect. The Padres are paying all but 5 million of the 20 million+ left on his deal through 2017. Even though he's not the player he was with Tampa, he would be a hell of a lot better than Aviles and as good as that other Upton. When JD comes back we still have no 4th outfielder to play/pinch hit. He has 16 home runs and 20 stolen bases this year. Wake up Avila!
    I'm with you.

I want another OF, a fourth OF, who can play when J.D., etc. can't.

BTW, we better hope that when JD comes back he plays like he did before being injured.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    This season is getting to be the classic glass half full/half empty Rorschach test.

Tigers trade for another SP. James Shields? And a reliever? and the AL Central is wide open.

Zimmerman, a #1, JV, a #2, Shields a #3, Sanchez, a #4, Zulmer, #5 [[with a very high ceiling).

Greene and Mike P. are also available for the back end of the rotation.

I have no problems with the position players as a group.
    This is my post from late May. I'm the born optimist [[or I wouldn't be on this board).

I'm surprised that Fulmer has continued to pitch as well as he has and Sanchez has not, but I'm surprised that the Tigers are making it with the pitching staff they have.

If we can get a little more offense from the catchers I'll be happy. When I'm in 'spin mode' I say "Don't worry about McCann. Think of each of those throw outs at 2nd as being equal in value to a hit for him." They help our pitchers.

EDIT: BTW the Tigs have played 47 home games and 57 away games. From now through August we have the bulk of our games at home and we are 'money' at home.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-31-16 at 07:00 AM.

I'm really starting to like this team. I don't believe it is a wreck ready for the baseball graveyard.

I love our infield: Nick C, Iggy, Ian and Miggy. Iggy and Ian can play SS/2B for me any day. Love Nick's stick; no problem with his D. Miggy is Miggy. Love em.

I love our outfield: Not all-stars but J.D., Cameron and J. Up can get it done.

V-Mart is a joy to watch hit and painful to watch run.

What I like is that our farm isn't busting with prospects, but has enough pieces to go with our young talent playing with the big club [[Fulmer, Boyd, Norris, etc.).

One could say that Jimenez could be an answer in the pen and Jones a good prospect at a position player depth at OF/IF.

In short: Tigers look like they are contenders to make October but not strong enough to advance to far, BUT that sounds like a description of MOST teams.

Indians loading up. Just got Andrew Miller for 4 prospects and about to get Jonathon Lucroy.

I'm starting to think about eating my words when I called them "just a .500 ball club" two months ago.

By the way, not to thread hijack, but the Las Vegas sports books put the Lions at 70-1 for the Super Bowl. Bottom of the pack nearly.

^^ That doesn't surprise me. Early publications have them finishing last in the NFC North, even behind Chicago. Lions will never get any respect.... As for the Tigers, I admit I jumped the gun on them as well, especially about JV, who looks like JV circa 2011. Sanchez, not so much... They should be buyers, not sellers this trade deadline, unlike last year, they're still in the race.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-31-16 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ That doesn't surprise me. Early publications have them finishing last in the NFC North, even behind Chicago. Lions will never get any respect.... As for the Tigers, I admit I jumped the gun on them as well, especially about JV, who looks like JV circa 2011. Sanchez, not so much... They should be buyers, not sellers this trade deadline, unlike last year, they're still in the race.
    On another sports forum [[not Lions) they call me 'Sunshine Steve'; I tend to be an eternal optimist until the Fat Lady starts to warm up.

Things are looking up already. Lucroy vetoed the trade to the Indians. I'm just going to tell myself Zimmerman, Norris and Martinez are our deadline acquisitions.

Things are looking up already. Lucroy vetoed the trade to the Indians. I'm just going to tell myself Zimmerman, Norris and Martinez are our deadline acquisitions.
    I wonder if the Tigs/Brewers would think about Lucroy / McCann?

McCann has a good ceiling, and an excellent throwing C, but having an off year at the bat [[because of his ankle problems earlier this season?).

Lucroy is a good offensive C and the Tigs could use a bat from that position [[yes, I'm still hopeful for McCann and J Up).

Lucroy is under option for 2017 and he apparently didn't want to get moved to 1b or DH for CLE when Gomes returns so he blocked the trade.

Lucroy is a 'win now' C. McCann the better long term player. Right?

Here is an excellent Twitter site for the Tigers:

https://twitter.com/blessyouboys

Looks more and more that the Tigs will stand pat [[certainly better than having a losing record and selling off players).

Looks like we are about to be a full strength, a good thing for any professional team...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...away/87973404/

Can't really understand why they're not drawing as well as they used to. Good deals on tickets, lots of empty seats. I know a lot of teams would kill for their attendance but it seems off this year.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Can't really understand why they're not drawing as well as they used to. Good deals on tickets, lots of empty seats. I know a lot of teams would kill for their attendance but it seems off this year.
    I noticed tonight's crowd looks like maybe 25,000. Houston is in contention but didn't draw well on the weekend and isn't drawing this season. It took a long time for Cleveland fans to come back this year after collapsing the last two years. Toronto is back to selling out every game 45-50,000, which I never thought I'd see again. These things go in waves. Interesting to see how the Tigers will do the rest of the way if they are within a couple of games of the Tribe.

Tigers are hotter than fish grease. Only 3 games back of Cleveland, with Fulmer vs Sale later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Tigers are hotter than fish grease. Only 3 games back of Cleveland, with Fulmer vs Sale later tonight.
    True, but we need to keep things in perspective.

We are winning with Pelfrey, Sanchez, etc. and no Zimmerman, J.D., etc.

I think God is shining on Comerica Park. This is getting 'unreal.'

I remember, what a dozen year's ago, when St. John's had the saying "Pray for our Tigers" on their signage outside the church.

Should I give Lowell permission to change my thread title to "World Series Bound & Picking Up Steam?" Still too soon, right?

Should I give Lowell permission to change my thread title to "World Series Bound & Picking Up Steam?" Still too soon, right?
    Or use the Tigers' recent stats in a statistic course:

"World Series Bound and Favored: The Dangers of Statistical Projections".

At their current rate [[say post-all star game), the Tigers are 'expected' to win N games [[maybe 100 or even more) and be favored in the WS.

Mr. Ilitch: Can I have some WS tickets, Please. Lol.

On a serious note, the Tigers have a ton of games at home in August and they have been playing extremely well at home dating back to May.

It is very possible that on August 31 the AL Central leader will be: Maybe CLE; maybe DET.

Too bad that bet isn't available in Vegas...
    Last edited by emu steve; August-03-16 at 11:51 AM.

BTW, for those interested in how Vegas saw the 2016 Tigers [[back in March).

Ov/Un line was 81.5 wins. This was a 'straight money' bet, bet 11 to win 10 [[or pays 21 for a 10 buck bet). The bet 11 to win 10 is necessary so the 'house' wins. A bet over of 11 and a bet under for 11 would give the house 22 bucks and they would pay the winning bet 21 bucks. House makes one buck on bets of 22 bucks, almost 5%.

Tigers were 4.50:1 [[or 9/2) to win the AL Central. This one is bet say 10 bucks and get your 10 bucks back + 45 more.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-03-16 at 09:11 PM.

If they come from the depths to take possession of first place will the title of the thread change?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    If they come from the depths to take possession of first place will the title of the thread change?
    see post #117

Way, way too soon. You wouldn't want me to jinx things, would you? But i'm encouraged.

Not looking all that good today. Zimmerman should go back to the Mudhens for the rest of the season.

OR 'Make Detroit [[Tigers) Great Again'

Baseball can be a strange, very strange, game.

At the beginning of the season, Zimmerman looked like a super ace.

Now he has been on the shelve a lot and two rookies [[i.e., Boyd and Fulmer) pitched back to back shutouts.

That is one of the things which makes MLB interesting. I believe I looked at pre-season predictions for both the AL and NL and a monkey playing with a keyboard could have done a better job. At least in the AL Central.

I believe someone had the Royals, Indians, [[someone - Chi or Twins), Tigers, etc. in the AL Central.

So it is CLE, Tigers, K.C./Chicago [[nearly tied), Twins.

Basically, the predictions are uncorrelated to what we see today.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-15-16 at 04:25 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast