Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Nice balanced article in the Detnews.

Yes, there are arms and legs with plenty of miles on them, but there are players coming into their prime and there appears to be a fairly good supply of good prospects.

This team could go any which way. It could come together this year or next or it might get old all at once.

We'll see and that is why they play the game to see how things play out.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...core/86435590/

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Crazy season for Tigers. And crazier for CLE. I can't believe any team beating any .500 team 9 out of 9 [[I'm assuming a loss today). CLE aren't exactly the NYY of old.

Lose 3 straight to K.C., beat SEA 4 straight, and then lose 3 straight to CLE.

Sweeps are not common [[the K.C. games weren't a sweep, though).
    And a 2-game sweep of Miami which is a .500+ team.

So the last 3 series, Seattle, CLE, and Miami have been sweeps but end up 6 - 3 at home.

As a writer [[forgot who) wrote, this season has been STRANGE!!!

I like the 'factoid' I heard on the radio today: Tigers are 39 -29 [[now 40 - 29) when not playing CLE.

Of course, the 2016 Indians, are successors to the 1927 and 1961 N.Y. Yankees but we just don't realize it, yet. Lol...

^^ I'm not sold on Cleveland just yet. They'll cool off, they go to Toronto next, which won't be easy, they can rake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ I'm not sold on Cleveland just yet. They'll cool off, they go to Toronto next, which won't be easy, they can rake.
    I agree. Even though the season is almost 1/2 over, I'm not convinced they are a 'great' team.

They are PLAYING GREAT now but that doesn't mean they are a GREAT TEAM. Teams get on rolls [[positive, CLE or negative, Twins) and they continue for a while.

This isn't the NBA with the GS Warriors, a great team [[despite game 7). It is MLB where there are a lot of good teams and we'll see whom is 'best' in October.

In October we'll find there are a lot of good teams and the WS is a crap shoot. I believe K.C. was 11:1 in Vegas March 2015 to win the 2015 WS.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-30-16 at 02:01 AM.

Las Vegas odds on the 2016 World Series as of June 30:

If I remember my probability class correctly [[many years ago), odds equate to probabilities.

E.g., a coin flip is 1:1 and probability of a specific outcome is 1/2.

A die is 5:1 and the probability of a specific outcome is 1/6.

Indians 10: 1 would be 1/11 or about 9%.

Even the Cubbies are less than a 25% chance to win the World Series...

Sat through that entire 6 hr/19 inning Jays/Indians game yesterday. Would of ruined my Canada Day if the Tigers didn't win last night. You know things are going well for Cleveland when they can use both Joba Chamberlain and Tom Gorzelanny and still win the game. I didn't know these guys were still pitching, let alone for the Indians.

With the Tigs leading the Indians big late, I think we can say the Tigers will be above .500 at the all-star break [[they should be +5 after today's game).

I believe Vegas had Tigers at 81 1/2 Ws, so we'll be ahead of expectations at the break.

With the Tigs leading the Indians big late, I think we can say the Tigers will be above .500 at the all-star break [[they should be +5 after today's game).

I believe Vegas had Tigers at 81 1/2 Ws, so we'll be ahead of expectations at the break.

Now 1 game out of a wild card slot. Four more road games and then the back half of the season starts with the Tigs having many more home [[rather than road) games on the schedule.

I count 19 home games in August. Nine road games!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Las Vegas odds on the 2016 World Series as of June 30:
    I was in Vegas for March Madness [[I have to tell folks, "No the games aren't played there, but the betting on them is... ). I'll try to find the sheets with the pre-season odds...

Every time I watch Victor try to run my knees hurt. If he doesn't hit a home run he should just walk back to the dugout.

I was wondering if he could beat that 103 year old woman who walked the bases before the game [[guess that was it). Oh, my.

Yes, I worry about V-Mart. Don't know if his knees will heal after after the season or if he'll have chronic knee issues after he retires.

I thought I understand knees but I honestly don't know what his knee problems are. I don't remember him have ACL, MCL, etc. Beginning osteoarthritis from damage to the meniscus? Damage to the articular cartilage under the meniscus?

On a happy note, Tigers are +4 which may not so too impressive but we've played 39 home games and 49 away games.

Later this month and next month we could go on a roll.

I was wondering if he could beat that 103 year old woman who walked the bases before the game [[guess that was it). Oh, my.

Yes, I worry about V-Mart. Don't know if his knees will heal after after the season or if he'll have chronic knee issues after he retires.

I thought I understand knees but I honestly don't know what his knee problems are. I don't remember him have ACL, MCL, etc. Beginning osteoarthritis from damage to the meniscus? Damage to the articular cartilage under the meniscus?
    His knees will probably never totally heal. He's had two surgeries, don't know if both were on the same knee. Osteoarthritis is real, and periodic pain and stiffness is the norm, especially as you age.

His knees will probably never totally heal. He's had two surgeries, don't know if both were on the same knee. Osteoarthritis is real, and periodic pain and stiffness is the norm, especially as you age.
    Yeah, my bad forgetting his surgeries.

I don't doubt that he has osteo in one or both knees after those ACL, etc. surgeries [[esp. if the meniscuses were badly torn in the ACL).

I was a marathon runner for many years. I had a torn meniscus in one knee which ended my marathon running but I could still run.

Then a few years later I tore the menicus in the other knee, worse, and that finished my running. almost 10 years later my osteo is 'moderate' and in time will need the knee replaced.

I understand what osteo can do to ability to run...

I'd guess a lot of those athletes with torn ACL will become knee replacements [[many) years down the road...

^^ Same here, and I'm no athlete. Unfortunately, had to quit my job, because it limited me from doing normal things, such as walking between stations. Some days, my knees feel great, and on others, I walk like I'm 85 years old. The cold weather here, really effects them, why so many people move to warmer climates. V-Mart will have plenty $$ in retirement, so those knees won't hurt too bad.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-12-16 at 10:55 AM.

^^ Same here, and I'm no athlete. Unfortunately, had to quit my job, because it limited me from doing normal things, such as walking between stations. Some days, my knees feel great, and on others, I walk like I'm 85 years old. The cold weather here, really effects them, why so many people move to warmer climates. V-Mart will have plenty $$ in retirement, so those knees won't hurt too bad.
    This comment pertains to all with knee issues, namely, is cortisone shots appropriate for them.

My orthopedic surgeon can give me a shot if I need it [[I've only had several).

Works well for me. When it doesn't work and the knee gets much worse than I'm a surgery candidate.

I'm curious if V-Mart gets cortisone shots [[they should be used sparingly).

Emu, I've tried cortisone shots and they do work well, however, at $150.00 per shot every 3-4 months, it can get to be a expensive proposition. My insurance doesn't cover them. If they continue to bother me, I guess a replacement is forthcoming.

Name:  Tigers-sweep-BoSox-2-072016.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  54.5 KB

Sweep in Bean Town...

Name:  Tigers-sweep-BoSox-2-072016.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  54.5 KB

Sweep in Bean Town...
    yeah I certainly didn't see that coming, not after my horrible Chicago vacation this past weekend - heat, storms, traffic nightmares, flooded freeways and losing 3 games on their last at bat.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    yeah I certainly didn't see that coming, not after my horrible Chicago vacation this past weekend - heat, storms, traffic nightmares, flooded freeways and losing 3 games on their last at bat.
    Baseball is a little like Wall Street, never know what any particular day will bring.

Now they have a pretty good Houston team, coming in Friday. Hope they can keep it going. And what in the hell has happened to the Royals?

Now they have a pretty good Houston team, coming in Friday. Hope they can keep it going. And what in the hell has happened to the Royals?
    Royals. Injuries???

Talking of injuries we beat Boston three games without 4 players, including 2/3s of our starting OF.

We don't have great starting pitching or great relievers, but when we get J.D., Cameron, Zimm and Norris back we have enough talent to be competitive and a real shot at October.

It's almost August and they're still right in the race, not just for the wild card either. Their keeping it interesting, I'll happily settle for that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast