Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nickerson Nebraska Rejects 1,100 jobs

Nickerson Nebraska rejected 1,100 new jobs that would pay between $13.00-$17.00 per hour, according to the article these jobs were rejected primarily due to racism. Michigan and the Detroit area in particular could use these jobs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tin...cid=spartandhp

It is not racism to be concerned about the impact of tripling your rural city's population. It is possible to be against highly disruptive factories without racism. We look much too hard for racism everywhere.

The article quoted a bigoted comment by a resident. I'm sure its true. But it may not be representative of most people -- and it may not be their biggest concern.

Let's fight bigotry and racism -- but let's not demonize anyone who doesn't put out the welcome mat and make assumptions about them.

btw, if Detroit wants those jobs, it should probably encourage poultry farming.

Correction: Not tripling of population -- quadrupling.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; May-02-16 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It is not racism to be concerned about the impact of tripling your rural city's population. It is possible to be against highly disruptive factories without racism. We look much too hard for racism everywhere.

The article quoted a bigoted comment by a resident. I'm sure its true. But it may not be representative of most people -- and it may not be their biggest concern..
    I don't know if we look too hard for racism everywhere--it isn't necessary to look all that hard anyway--but I have to agree that it doesn't require racism to not want your town to become completely different, not to mention smelly. In this case, racism is probably just an additional reason not to want this. I wouldn't want a giant chicken processing plant near me if it were entirely staffed by members of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by R.B.J View Post
    Nickerson Nebraska rejected 1,100 new jobs that would pay between $13.00-$17.00 per hour, according to the article these jobs were rejected primarily due to racism. Michigan and the Detroit area in particular could use these jobs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tin...cid=spartandhp
    Have you ever smelled a chicken processing plant? The fumes can be damned near noxious. There is a Butterball plant near Greeley, CO and on a heavy day it will make your eyes water. I wouldn't want one in my town either.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Have you ever smelled a chicken processing plant? The fumes can be damned near noxious. There is a Butterball plant near Greeley, CO and on a heavy day it will make your eyes water. I wouldn't want one in my town either.
    Now that's racist....

Seems to me that these folks made a tough but wise decision.

Yeah, because a town of 400 really needs additional employment for 1000. All this would have brought would be the stink of millions of dead chickens, constant truck traffic and 1000's of temporary workers. If they say no, the only possible explanation is that they are racist.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-02-16 at 01:45 PM.

Put this issue at the Non-Detroit issues.

the owners will find a place somewhere. But by cultural default they won't be considering Detroit.

My favorite quote:
    "They're of Muslim descent. I'm worried about the type of people this is going to attract."
    Sigh...

1,100 new jobs......figure a 2-3,000 population boost........ in a town of 400? The infrastructure problems alone[[schools, housing, sewers, water, etc.) are mind boggling. The town fathers were wise to turn the plant down.

Dumping a chicken factory on this town was the idea of the regional planning commission. My experience is that regional planning commissions are often agents of the 1%. I wonder if, instead, fifty or seventy five new jobs would have come to this town, if local residents wouldn't have embraced it even if some of the jobs went to outsiders.

Where I lived, a proposal was made to bring a chicken factory to a city of 3,700. The idea was quickly and quietly scuttled. Eventually, the largest organic food coop in the US created better paying, higher paying jobs in that area doubling, for instance, what small farmers received for their products.