Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

I don't think this needs to be the end of your faith in the city. Even with the LB gone, we still have more historic buildings than most other cities. The fact that a lot of people are pissed off about this situation also gives one hope.

As for one's faith in the people who are currently occupying certain positions within City government, well, that's another story all together.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    This is how my faith in my city ends. This is how my faith in the city ends. This is how my faith in the city ends, not with a whimper but with a bang of the wrecking ball.
    I don't know if you should lose your faith in and love for the city of Detroit. I can understand losing faith in its leaders, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    I don't know if you should lose your faith in and love for the city of Detroit. I can understand losing faith in its leaders, though.

And who keeps electing these incompetent leaders, some of whom appoint these Demolition anti-Economic Growth Corp. leaders?

I see your point. So you feel that your local Detroiters have let you down when choosing who to vote for?

From the Free Press article, a few good quotes:

George Jackson, president of DEGC and the city’s chief development officer, said in a recent e-mail that the city has saved many historic properties, working with private developers to stitch together complex financing deals.

The examples include the Detroit Opera House, the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel, the Doubletree Fort Shelby Hotel, the Kales Buildings residential lofts, and the Lofts at Merchants Row residential units.
    Maybe I missed something, but some of these, while all notable and excellent projects of historic preservation, are not all recent examples. The Opera House re-opening was now 13 years ago!

When the city does bring down a building, he added, it’s to make way for future development.

Preservation critics of demolition say razing a building to make way for future development has a spotty record. The Tuller Hotel on Grand Circus Park fell to wrecking crews in 1991 but the site remains a vacant lot.

After the Hudson’s building was imploded in 1998, the city built an underground parking garage there, but the site otherwise awaits future redevelopment.
    Still waiting on these, George...

The loss of the Lafayette Building marks the latest historic property downtown to face demolition. In the past dozen years, the city has razed the old Hudson’s building, the Statler and Madison-Lenox hotels, and the former Motown headquarters office building at Woodward and I-75.
    Overall, I thought that Free Press article was rather well written. Yes, preservationists need to pick their battles, and we certainly can't and won't win everything, but it still seems like this demolition does not make sense, on so many levels.

MIRepublic Guest

I thought the piece should have drilled even harder at Jackson's downright ridiculous claim of "demolishing for future development". They missed the Statler, which was a huge example of them demolishing for nothing.

You know, if Jackson was a honest or smart man, he'd make other arguments for demolition. The 'demolishing for progress' excuse is so silly it's insulting. Seriously, it's time to simply call "game over" on the DDA which would render the DEGC pretty useless. Detroit would, in fact, be better off without the board or at least they wouldn't be missed.

You know, if the DDA stopped literally outsourcing its brains to the DEGC, I'd think differently. But, as it stands, the DDA, which is supposed to be the actual public decision-making body, has totally sold itself and is completely dependent upon the DEGC just to function. It's really sad. As an example of how much they've taken over, everyone knows George Jackson is the DEGC chair, but does anyone know who chairs up the DDA at any given time?
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-14-09 at 09:12 PM.

Write to the editorial pages of the Freep and Det News and let them know your opinions

As things go in my mind, I am kinda sad to see that building up for demo. Some of the concepts on the old site looked good. I know you can't save everything yet I think that burned out houses, factories, and other more messed up properties should come first on the list.Money spent on this demo could be used to get rid of the many burned out and unsound houses as stated before.If they want to start puting "parks" everywhere they might end up with a few buildings surrounded by a bunch of trash strewn lots with more Metro Times newsboys and toothpick American flag salesmen.

The question of the day is: when this fails to make things any better for either the Westin Book Cadillac or its condo sales, will Demolition Jackson finally admit that he was wrong? Or will he blame it on the fact that on one of the other vacant buildings in town needs to come down?
    Last edited by Fnemecek; August-15-09 at 02:08 PM.

9mile&seneca Guest

Detroit: Cleveland, but without the buildings

Blarf Guest

It's a good that their aren't any abandoned homes that need to be torn down around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    The question of the day is: when this fails to make things any better for either the Westin Book Cadillac or its condo sales, will Demolition Jackson finally admit that he was wrong? Or will he blame it on the fact that on one of the other vacant buildings in town needs to come down?
    Can't you see? Removing the blighted Lafayette does not negate the fact that the Book Tower is really hurting the sales of condos at the Book Cadillac and newly renovated Book Building.

MIRepublic Guest

They've got a plethora of excuses they choose from. They simply rotate them as needed.

BTW, anyone know who got the demolition contract for this one? Homrich or MCM?

EDIT: Did a little research [[didn't remember the Free Press reporting this, but I guess they did). Adamo Demolition [[300 E. 7 Mile Rd.) was given the contract and paid $1,445,888 for demolition. Adamo was responsible for the hit against the Madison Lenox, BTW.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-15-09 at 05:51 PM.

Speaking of demolitions, what's the deal with that 4 storey building behind the former Statler site with the missing roof? What's the name and status of that? Is it owned by the city? I'm just shaking my head as to the criteria of demolitions as the Lafayette looks like it's in way better shape than a building with a missing roof.

Hey Dave, I know the bvilding you're talking about. I think it was last an AA Auto Club place.

MIRepublic Guest

It's 139 Bagley Street [[blt. 1916), formerly the Auto Club of Michigan Building/Detroit Auto Club Building/AAA of Michigan Building. There were some pretty extensive threads on the old boards about the situation and the owner. I'm not sure how to get back to the old archives.

BTW, does anyone know where I could look, or who I could call, to inquire about the Detroit DDA? I'm interested to know who sits on it, what specific powers it's granted, how I can find meeting minutes, etc...?
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-15-09 at 07:08 PM.

It's too late for the Lafayette. Identify some buildings that are still salvageable and do something to preserve them now. If the building is privately owned, that's even better. People have to keep in mind what condition a lot of these buildings are in by the time the City takes possession of them. Identify the buildings now and I may be able to connect you to some resources that can help your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    It's 139 Bagley Street [[blt. 1916), formerly the Auto Club of Michigan Building/Detroit Auto Club Building/AAA of Michigan Building. There were some pretty extensive threads on the old boards about the situation and the owner. I'm not sure how to get back to the old archives.

BTW, does anyone know where I could look, or who I could call, to inquire about the Detroit DDA? I'm interested to know who sits on it, what specific powers it's granted, how I can find meeting minutes, etc...?
    Just contact the DEGC. They'll provide you with all of the information you need.

Here is a question about a "lost" building near the Lafayette. You know that parking garage right across Lafayette St. from the Lafayette Building? When was that built? I remember there were a few "classical" looking limestone-faced buildings where that parking garage now stands. Anyone remember the structures I am talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    They've got a plethora of excuses they choose from. They simply rotate them as needed.

BTW, anyone know who got the demolition contract for this one? Homrich or MCM?

EDIT: Did a little research [[didn't remember the Free Press reporting this, but I guess they did). Adamo Demolition [[300 E. 7 Mile Rd.) was given the contract and paid $1,445,888 for demolition. Adamo was responsible for the hit against the Madison Lenox, BTW.
    Freep reported it cuz that's where I got the number from for my site. Adamo - or Ademo, as I like to call it - also did the hit on the Adams Theatre and Fine Arts. Arrow Wrecking was the hitman of choice back in the day: city hall, federal bldg/post office, majestic bldg, Cadillac chair...

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Here is a question about a "lost" building near the Lafayette. You know that parking garage right across Lafayette St. from the Lafayette Building? When was that built? I remember there were a few "classical" looking limestone-faced buildings where that parking garage now stands. Anyone remember the structures I am talking about?
    You're probably talking about the Transportation Building. Built in 1912, it was the former Free Press Building and then the Grand Trunk Railroad Building. It was torn down in 2004 to extend the garage in typical Detroit fashion. I believe Southfield-based Barton Malow was the demolisher.

EastSider Guest

Wasn't that garage created to support another building? It's not just public parking, right?

If so, then would it have been better to keep the ticket office and let another office building slide to vacancy?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Wasn't that garage created to support another building? It's not just public parking, right?

If so, then would it have been better to keep the ticket office and let another office building slide to vacancy?
    The garage is for the Dime Building.

Without the garage expansion, the Dime Building would not likely have been redone. When PQZ resurfaces, he'll tell you what kind of shape the demolished building was in. The short description is: not good.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post

"BTW, does anyone know where I could look, or who I could call, to inquire about the Detroit DDA? I'm interested to know who sits on it, what specific powers it's granted, how I can find meeting minutes, etc...?"

Look on the city of Detroit web site. Surely they'll have that information on there. They spends millions of taxpayer dollars every year. There must be some accountability?

If you believe that, I heard that Demolition Jackson has a building he wants to see restored.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast