Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

There also is a piece of heavy machinery sitting out front of it. It would appear that they could start pummeling it as early as tomorrow, though I would think they'd have to tear it down from top to bottom, like they did the Statler. Somewhere, C. Howard Crane is rolling in his grave.

Call up Detroitdad and tell him to get the grill ready for his urban cookout tour.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    two dilapidated coney island greasepits
    I think I'd chain myself to the building if they tried to tear down Lafayette's

What a wonderful Detroit day. A 21 year old is found dead in an abandoned bombed out house but it is money better spent on tearing down what a select few call an eye sore. In the future, expect more systematic destruction [[aka creating more parks) of this city by the very people who are paid to revive it. Expect more bomded out homes to be incubators of crime. Doing things Detroit style is what Detroit does best.

http://www.100abandonedhouses.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It could be a park where entertainment could be held corresponding with the entertainment a Campus Martius and Hart Plaza. That will increase the pedestrial traffic in that small spot. Then stores might be constructed at the bottom level of the parking structure that sit next to BC.

This reminds me of the dreamy renderings architectural firms put out with tons of people walking around in an area that is blank and empty 1 year after the project is constructed.

Not to say it couldn't be an effective park, but you are asking WAY too much from the immediate area with a lousy built environment [[except for the BC). Your only contributing building are two hotels which typically fail to produce "park patrons"...the rest is all garages or abandoned. 90% of your pedestrians in that 1 block area are waiting for the bus by the sidewalk.
    Last edited by wolverine; August-13-09 at 10:19 PM.

In a city $350 million in debt with not enough cops and rampant crime, I could think of a few better ways to spend more than a million dollars.

MIRepublic Guest

Has anyone confirmed that this will be a park? Will it be a private park, public park, managed by Parks & Rec or some private/non-profit, etc? Is this an actual park or simply greenspace a la the Statler Block? I'd heard nothing of this. I guess they realized that the site would be a rather strangely shapped parking lot if this is true.

For those of you old enough to remember, the Kern Block was turned into green space. That consisted of grass and a diagonal walkway. Before the Compuware building was build, the Kern Block green space was mostly asphalt. This "Lafayette Park II" will probably start out as just grass, a few shrubs, and a few park benches. In a few years, it will have little grass and mostly dominated by bums and trash.

BTW, if there are signs that the Lafayette Building is about to be torn down, then did the Boydell guy have his two weeks to inspect the building?

It's a little far away from the Lafayette Building, but is there any way we can damage the People Mover tracks for old time's sake? In all seriousness, I'm disappointed. Oh well.

Death fence going up now.

George Jackson is eating a hearty breakfast somewhere.

Pretty typical. If there's something that the City knows is going to be unpopular, they do it on a Friday.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for them to demolish some of the burned out homes in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    George Jackson is eating a hearty breakfast somewhere.
    And the demo contractors are probably paying for that breakfast, right after handing him an envelope filled with cash.

I think you're on to something. It's all part of a plan for downtown redevelopment.

A few demolitions a year means several breakfasts with George Jackson, all paid for by demo contractors.

And then that keeps places like Sweet Georgia Brown in business.

Unfortunately, we haven't demolished enough buildings, which helps explain the DDA forgiving interest on loans to high-priced restaurants built exclusively for folks like George Jackson.

Damn! If only we had a few more demos, SGB would still be in business!

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Welcome to Detroit, the world's largest parking lot.

What is Latin for "We Hope For Better Things; It Shall be pummelled into Ashes?"
    Why don't we just stick with the classics and go with "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"?

And yet, Packard still stands, untouched and probably on fire. Great job 'Demolition' Jackson!

Yep, just walked over there and the heavy concrete barriers are going up and the falling object fences are coming down. Workers didn't comment on what was next. Also, many of the windows are open, for some reason. The bus stop is also gone, and one lane of every road around the Lafayette is closed.

So, they're gonna have Lafayette Coney Island with no Lafayette building that it was named after.

I understand there are economic reasons for tearing this building down, but it's still sad.

RIP Lafayette Building.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    So, they're gonna have Lafayette Coney Island with no Lafayette building that it was named after.

I understand there are economic reasons for tearing this building down, but it's still sad.

RIP Lafayette Building.
    Not that it really matters, but I suspect that the coney island is named after the street and not the building next door [[their address is 118 Lafayette Blvd.).

The recent activity around the building has made the Freep:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009081...yette-Building

Our good old transparent DDA/DEGC. I love how they made all information about the building available [[not) and had the decency to put up the fences on a busy news day [[not).

Geo. Jackson: "When the city does bring down a building, he added, it’s to make way for future development."

Har-dee-har-har.

Lafayette Blvd.? If it is a Blvd. where are the islands? Don't Blvds need islands like West Grand, Washington, etc...................

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post

RIP Lafayette Building.
    The Coney place is named after the street- and I think it's actually older than the Lafayette building. I could be wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Geo. Jackson: "When the city does bring down a building, he added, it’s to make way for future development."

Har-dee-har-har.
    Yeah, that boldfaced lie got a guffaw out of me to. Lessee, here ...
    Statler, Tuller, Monroe Block, Hudson's, Cadillac Square Building, Madison-Lenox, Donovan and Sanders buildings, soon to be Tiger Stadium ... not a lick of development on any of 'em. Unless you count an Ilitch-run parking lot, of course.

This is how my faith in my city ends. This is how my faith in the city ends. This is how my faith in the city ends, not with a whimper but with a bang of the wrecking ball.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast