Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default DDOT offers bus service to Belle Isle Park

The Detroit Department of Transportation has worked with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to provide bus service to Belle Isle Park through the No. 12 Conant route.The extended service will provide access to and from the island for the standard $1.50 DDOT bus fare with no additional entry fees. There will be one bus stop on the island next to major attractions like the conservatory, aquarium and giant slide."We are glad to provide access for residents to such a unique destination," DDOT's Scharron Rambus said in a news release. "Belle Isle has been a place where special memories have been made, and we are honored to continue that tradition."The service, which began Saturday, is available 5:50 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The Belle Isle service will run every 50 minutes."The DNR and DDOT have been working together for months to introduce bus service to Belle Isle Park," chief of the DNR Parks and Recreation Division Ron Olson said in the release. "As attendance at the park increased to more than 3.5 million visitors last year, it became increasingly important to provide additional transportation options to the island."MICHIGAN MORNING NEWSLETTERGet a roundup of important news that happens each day.email address SUBMIT http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...elle-isle-park

Glad to see this being implemented. I think I'll probably make use of it a few times this summer.

Very good news for increasing access to the park, hopefully they'll add a few more stops. That's an awfully large loop, and if the bus has make the trip it might as well provide stops at multiple locations.

Convenient for people from Hamtramck. But there needs to be another bus from Downtown.

About damn time they brought this service back. Has been promised repeatedly since they discontinued service to the island several years ago.

Now, if we could only bring our old bus station back...

I'm SO happy about this! I will use it often.