Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sports Authority closing all locations

It appears Sports Authority gave up all hope after exiting Chapter 11 and will now close all of their remaining locations.

Some of you will know that they were once owned by another troubling retailer, this one Kmart. They owned it for a while in the 1990's.

There's gonna be some awfully major vacancies that will have to be filled in-even more especially so at Great Lakes Crossing.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...ing-bankruptcy

Great Lakes Crossing location in 2013, taken from my blog.

The hard goods segment of sporting goods seems to be on the decline. Too many kids playing video games I guess. On the other hand, every retailer has moved in on the sports apparel market. General Sporting Goods stores, like dept. stores, are getting squeezed from all sides.

Kids still play any athletic sports today. You have to look at the free enterprise market. Sports Authority can not compete against Dick's Sporting Goods and Dunham's Sporting Goods. So Sports Authority lost the competition.

hopefully those laid off will find jobs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The hard goods segment of sporting goods seems to be on the decline. Too many kids playing video games I guess. On the other hand, every retailer has moved in on the sports apparel market. General Sporting Goods stores, like dept. stores, are getting squeezed from all sides.
    The latter part of this I certainly agree with. Dunham's is usually sleepy. Dick's is nice and modern but they have very little that you can't get at other stores, probably cheaper, to say nothing of the internet.

I didn't know it could trace it's roots to Gart Sporting Goods in Denver. Learn something new every day...

Default The Partial Demallification of America

· Aeropostale filed for bankruptcy and is closing 113 stores in America and 41 in Canada. The company has lost company money for the last 13 quarters.
    · Fossil – watches and wearables – stock is about to fall off of a cliff. They sell about 30 million watches, which are peddled in stand-alone stores plus Macy’s and Nordstrom’s. The watches Fossil sells tell the time; this is an antiquated notion which millenniums and generation Z individuals scoff at. Think Apple Watch
    · Macy’s reported their 4th straight quarter of sales decline. They lowered guidance by 15%, which is a large percentage for a company the size of Macy’s. Macy’s is a well-run and managed company. Foot traffic is down, and Macy’s reported issues with their “central core” business. This is a dramatic time for retail, apparel sales have been, and are, flat – at best. Macy’s CEO stated he is not counting on consumers to spend more.
    · The Staples – Office Depot merger has effectively been blocked by a Federal judge. Staples will trudge on – some kind of way. Office Depot [[IMO) is looking at selling off bits and pieces of itself, praying for a buyer. This deal came up around 20 years ago and was denied. Denying this merger today is asinine, as both companies are struggling.
    · There is an excess of brick and mortar retailers in America, all selling the same mediocre merchandise. While the concept of malls is safe; in fact, in select cities, there are malls that are at, or near, capacity. There are however to many malls, just as there are too many retailers. Two words, the internet and smart phones. Amazon is the king, $355 billion in market capitalization, and the stock is at its 52 week high, the stock is considered undervalued. Jeff Bezos' [[Mr. Amazon) has a personal stake in Amazon, his portfolio has increased by $18 billion in just three months. That's ~ $200 million every day, or ~ $8.3 million an hour.

· The winners: Five Below, Big Lots, Dollar General and Target.

Correction: I just read today that Sports Authority won't be closing all of their stores, they're instead going to auction off their remaining locations.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    · Aeropostale filed for bankruptcy and is closing 113 stores in America and 41 in Canada. The company has lost company money for the last 13 quarters.
    · Fossil – watches and wearables – stock is about to fall off of a cliff. They sell about 30 million watches, which are peddled in stand-alone stores plus Macy’s and Nordstrom’s. The watches Fossil sells tell the time; this is an antiquated notion which millenniums and generation Z individuals scoff at. Think Apple Watch
    · Macy’s reported their 4th straight quarter of sales decline. They lowered guidance by 15%, which is a large percentage for a company the size of Macy’s. Macy’s is a well-run and managed company. Foot traffic is down, and Macy’s reported issues with their “central core” business. This is a dramatic time for retail, apparel sales have been, and are, flat – at best. Macy’s CEO stated he is not counting on consumers to spend more.
    · The Staples – Office Depot merger has effectively been blocked by a Federal judge. Staples will trudge on – some kind of way. Office Depot [[IMO) is looking at selling off bits and pieces of itself, praying for a buyer. This deal came up around 20 years ago and was denied. Denying this merger today is asinine, as both companies are struggling.
    · There is an excess of brick and mortar retailers in America, all selling the same mediocre merchandise. While the concept of malls is safe; in fact, in select cities, there are malls that are at, or near, capacity. There are however to many malls, just as there are too many retailers. Two words, the internet and smart phones. Amazon is the king, $355 billion in market capitalization, and the stock is at its 52 week high, the stock is considered undervalued. Jeff Bezos' [[Mr. Amazon) has a personal stake in Amazon, his portfolio has increased by $18 billion in just three months. That's ~ $200 million every day, or ~ $8.3 million an hour.

· The winners: Five Below, Big Lots, Dollar General and Target.
    Used to work for Aeropostale when I was in Boston. The one at the Cambridgeside Galleria Mall was dimly lit with disco lights flashing and with a DJ blaring trance-style techno music, completely loud and counter-productive to a shopping environment.

Yeah, I guess I just want my watches to tell time and maybe have an alarm on them. I don't need some ridiculous Futurama style tri-coder on my wrist.

Love that line Homer Simpson gave to his wife, Marge, back in a flashback episode: "Just call me Borders Books, because I'll be here forever." [[notice they still keep the sign lit up at the location on Ford Rd. near that horrible Wal-Mart's?).

I don't think the future of sporting goods will ever be threatened, and if it does, children will never learn about the variety of sporting goods out there, and then how are future generations going to compare the size of the hailstones they get?

we'll see what they have to offer at the Dearborn location.