Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Carjacking - Murder - Bank Robbery - ETC.

Unsure why this story hasn't been posted here yet:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009081...ng-21-year-old

Maybe there is nothing more to say by DYES. Criminals like this need to be eradicated from our society in a sacrificial manner.
    Last edited by TKshreve; August-13-09 at 03:02 PM.

I've been following this since yesterday and its so very disturbing. I was hoping they would find the young man somewhere unconscious or in a coma or something, my heart breaks for his family if this is his body they found.

How insane. And the picture of the suspect - he's smirking like it was nothing. Only 17? On a murderous crime spree all alone? He has absolutely no remorse and I hope I never read that he's been released for any reason. Don't be surprised if he turns up as a suspect in other unsolved crimes because he definitely seems to enjoy violent crime.

What about the parents ? Foster care, and he's an Arab from Liberia ? So many things don't add up here.

The criminal in question was from Flint. He just dumped the body in Detroit.

Um, yeeeeahhh. Sorry guys, our criminals picked us clean here, so they are branching out.

I feel for the victim's family. What a waste.

ziggyselbin Guest

from a population of 1.8 million to about 750,000 and still shrinking it is evident many have chosen to do something about it.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    from a population of 1.8 million to about 750,000 and still shrinking it is evident many have chosen to do something about it.
    It hasn't worked very well. Maybe we should try something different.

So was this a random act or did they somehow know the victim?

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    It hasn't worked very well. Maybe we should try something different.

Once someone has been victimized or knows someone or it happens close to home I don't blame them for leaving.

However I am genuinely curious; what do yo suggest?

Bearinabox Guest

Once someone has been victimized or knows someone or it happens close to home I don't blame them for leaving.

However I am genuinely curious; what do yo suggest?
    What do I suggest to make Detroit suck less? Depends what you think is wrong with it, how much effort you're willing to invest, and what your skills and resources are. Really, nothing has been proven to work; if there were a magic bullet, someone would have found it and used it by now. I would suggest, though, that it's safe to stay away from methods that have been proven not to work, and that moving out of the city is one such method. As you pointed out, it's been tried by an astoundingly large number of people over the last six decades or so, and at no point in that time did it in any way decrease Detroit's level of suck.

ziggyselbin Guest

What do I suggest to make Detroit suck less? Depends what you think is wrong with it, how much effort you're willing to invest, and what your skills and resources are. Really, nothing has been proven to work; if there were a magic bullet, someone would have found it and used it by now. I would suggest, though, that it's safe to stay away from methods that have been proven not to work, and that moving out of the city is one such method. As you pointed out, it's been tried by an astoundingly large number of people over the last six decades or so, and at no point in that time did it in any way decrease Detroit's level of suck.
    except for those that left it likely has improved...There seems to be an entrenched virtually intractable culture that keeps things going.

Bearinabox Guest

except for those that left it likely has improved...
    I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that statement. Are you saying that it's likely that Detroit has improved in all respects other than its population loss? Or that, in the minds of those who left, Detroit has improved? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Dear God,

This vulture is using a person's death as a tool to further her agenda.

SICK

ziggyselbin Guest

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that statement. Are you saying that it's likely that Detroit has improved in all respects other than its population loss? Or that, in the minds of those who left, Detroit has improved? I'm confused.
    I agree my response was not very clear. What I mean is things improved for those that left; personal survival and safety is a strong motivator.Removing one's self from a dangerous environment does not help Detroit but it might do wonders for the individual. I imagine for many that left an emotional detachment happens.

The entrenched culture is illustrated by the public school indictments.
    Last edited by ziggyselbin; August-13-09 at 09:33 PM.

The smile on the suspects face says it all, If only he could flash the same one while strapped to a chair with a few wires connected to it. Hope the P.O.S. GETS HIS DUE.

Bearinabox Guest

I agree my response was not very clear. What I mean is things improved for those that left; personal survival and safety is a strong motivator. I imagine for many that left an emotional detachment happens.
    ...none of which makes Detroit suck any less. If you're trying to "do something about" the fact that Detroit sucks, leaving is probably not your best option, because Detroit will still suck after you're gone. Personal survival and safety is an entirely separate issue from how to make Detroit not suck, except that making Detroit not suck is likely to improve the personal safety of those living in and around Detroit. If you completely detach yourself from the entire region and move to New York or Paris or Tokyo, then your personal safety is completely independent of whether Detroit continues to suck. I don't think I'm capable of completely detaching myself from this region; if you are, that's great for you.

ziggyselbin Guest

I am not from Detroit Bear. My thoughts are that it is up to Detroiters to make the city better and safer. Frankly I am fairly convinced that for Detroiters it is not a priority. It is unrealistic to expect anyone else to make Detroit better.

I came in this thread initially to say Bearinabox for president. But then I thought about it and I concluded that Bearinabox is wrong. If everyone left the city then the crime rate in the city would improve drastically. So, know it or not, the solution for all of Detroit's problems and to make Detroit suck less is for everyone to move out.

So now I want to just say, Crumbled_pavement for president!

So, where was the judge after the suspect literally spit on the courtroom floor in front of the cameras? Why no contempt of court charge?
    This creep, and others like him, should be held up for ridicule. The jackass couldn't even operate the manual transmission of the car he chose to steal.
    I hope he is shared frequently by the predators in prison.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    So, where was the judge after the suspect literally spit on the courtroom floor in front of the cameras? Why no contempt of court charge?
    This creep, and others like him, should be held up for ridicule. The jackass couldn't even operate the manual transmission of the car he chose to steal.
    I hope he is shared frequently by the predators in prison.
    I saw him spit on the floor and wondered the same thing. This guy is a piece of excrement that needs to be hung by his balls in a public square for all to see. He obviously has no regard for human life and has no conscious. He smiled when his mug photo was taken like he is some kind of celebrity. He is claiming he doesn't understand English but he knew how to use Matt's ATM card just fine. Is this piece of sh** even a U.S. citizen?
    As far as I am concerned, no trial is necessary for this sorry excuse for a human, the picture of the bank robbery and the video of him using the ATM card from the young man he murdered is enough to hand him over to the family and friends of Matt and let them handle his punishment.

I agree my response was not very clear. What I mean is things improved for those that left; personal survival and safety is a strong motivator.Removing one's self from a dangerous environment does not help Detroit but it might do wonders for the individual. I imagine for many that left an emotional detachment happens.

The entrenched culture is illustrated by the public school indictments.
    The people that have 'removed' themselves but stayed in SE Michigan accomplished nothing but a short term fix. The entire region is now dealing with the ramifications of decentralization. As this region continues to implode people can blame Detroit or blame the hundreds of thousands that keep moving further out.

Either way, if one moved to Warren or Macomb Township or Oakland Township we are now dealing with the effects of the massive shift in population to a much greater area of land. Running from problems only delays the problems.

Vile, sickening excuse for a person.

ziggyselbin Guest

Either way, if one moved to Warren or Macomb Township or Oakland Township we are now dealing with the effects of the massive shift in population to a much greater area of land. Running from problems only delays the problems.[/QUOTE]

But it ends the problem for those that moved. It may be selfish but self preservation is powerful.

Somehow, I wonder if people would be so upset about this kid if his name were Ralph Jenkins.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast