Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Great news, hopefully it's accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    60 stories would be quite the statement. But I wonder how they will utilize that site for the 60 stories. I highly doubt it would take up the entire footprint at that height, as that would be a monster building.
    Yes, a 60 story monolith would probably kill prices downtown. Exciting to think about though...

Hmm, what prices? Residential- rent or condo? Office? Hotel rates? This development may include all of the above in moderate quantities, and height doesn't not necessarily equal quantity, if the tower is slender.

As to offices, most agree there is room to grow the downtown supply.

As to residences, it is a fact that there is a shortage of for-purchase condos and co-ops in greater downtown, and frankly the prices of what's available should come down a bit. As for rentals, I do not think this would force downward action. Though supply will increase, the area will become more desirable particularly if the development includes a department store and a grocery store.

so 60 stories could put the building in the 750-800' range. the ren cen is detroit's tallest at 727' FYI.

assuming most of the building is office space i think it would saturate the market, but at the cost of the suburban office markets, as the downtown market is allegedly nearing capacity in class a space. i think it would also eliminate any demand for some time as the ren cen did.

It has been stated thus far that the tower would be residential and have 250 units. At 60 stories it will either increase the number of units or include some office component. I am hoping that it is an increase in residential and any future office development ends up at the Monroe Block on Campus Martius. As for flooding the market we need to remember that this thing wont be completed until 2020 and Gilbert knows how to bring companies downtown. The office market is getting close to need new Class A space, so I wouldn't be surprised if this building doesn't contain office space that something is proposed soon that does.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    so 60 stories could put the building in the 750-800' range. the ren cen is detroit's tallest at 727' FYI.

assuming most of the building is office space i think it would saturate the market, but at the cost of the suburban office markets, as the downtown market is allegedly nearing capacity in class a space. i think it would also eliminate any demand for some time as the ren cen did.

From what has been floated around as far as building programming, it sounds like a mixture of commercial, office, and residential with a civic aspect to it [[art museum, public space, etc.). I don't think we are going to be looking at a 40 story office building adding an enormous amount of office space downtown. Although interesting enough, I think it's been mentioned on here before that downtown is lacking in actual Class A office space.

Okay then. Here's my building stack in no particular order. Parking is 10 floors, civic 5, apts 25, retail/restaurant 2-3 floors, and 18-20 floors is office.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6