Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm excited, but at the same time, frustrated that they're dragging it out. This is a big test for Gilbert's credibility. If he delivers, it will solidify him as the promise-keeper, a man that keeps renovating and bringing jobs. If he fails to deliver, it will bring doubt onto his future promises.

I'm hoping for 30+ floors, and anything more than that would be simply amazing to me.

Oh I don't know.... does Gilbert even HAVE a credibility issue? He seems to have delivered on everything he has promised. It's that other billionaire that has a serious credibility issue.... owning over 100 dormant parcels of land downtown.

Tallest Building in the Western Hemisphere has a nice ring to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Tallest Building in the Western Hemisphere has a nice ring to it.....
    Well, All they have to do is build something higher than the 1800 feet of CN Tower in Toronto and we will be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Well, All they have to do is build something higher than the 1800 feet of CN Tower in Toronto and we will be all set.
    One World Trade Center only cost $3.8 billion. DG should be able to cover that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    One World Trade Center only cost $3.8 billion. DG should be able to cover that.
    Shoot! That's just pocket change to him, right?

We can all get a GoFundMe page setup to help subsidize the cost of such a massive building. Maybe DG will reward us with free elevator rides to the observation deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Oh I don't know.... does Gilbert even HAVE a credibility issue? He seems to have delivered on everything he has promised. It's that other billionaire that has a serious credibility issue.... owning over 100 dormant parcels of land downtown.
    ^^^^ This.

Rumors circling it will be bigger than rencen... from insider doing pre construction work. Totally tearing up the garage and rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by restoretheroar View Post
    Rumors circling it will be bigger than rencen... from insider doing pre construction work. Totally tearing up the garage and rebuilding

When are they going to release plans? April was supposed to be release date but they did not even mention it. Bedrock has decent exec management, but needs to hire better younger talent and experience to manage the portfolio.

I find that VERY hard to believe... but I want it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    When are they going to release plans? April was supposed to be release date but they did not even mention it. Bedrock has decent exec management, but needs to hire better younger talent and experience to manage the portfolio.
    I find it to be so out of character that this is being "mismanaged" given DG's track record. They don't comment or speculate on anything, and when the announcement finally breaks on a development, it's usually a presser.....at the building....with shovels going in the ground. Seems odd that they would keep putting these dates out there and continually go past without any explanation.

Regarding larger than the RenCen, then were talking a structure in the 800-1000ft arena. That would be an absolute game changer for the area, especially if most or all of it is privately financed or financed "conventionally" using little/no subsides.

This makes me wonder though; did he not expect to get the underground garage initially and that's where we say the leaked rendering? Once he got the garage did he just say screw it lets build a monster? That would explain for all the setbacks and missed dates if they tore it up and started from scratch on a new monster tower.

How reliable is your insider source RESTORE?

I'd say this is pretty reliable. I've heard the same information from two separate sources.

I sure hope not. Haven't we learned from the Ren Cen? Let's not make an even bigger mistake. A large building would be nice here, something to be proud of, but let's not get carried away. Detroit has plenty of room to grow besides up. Last thing it needs is for a giant flood of prime space to suck away the building momentum spreading into the so many worthy structures that haven't yet been renovated and nearby areas with room to grow. When the Ren Cen opened it sucked so much business from its neighbors. Supply and demand, folks. Let's check our hubris. Please, not again!
    Last edited by bust; July-21-16 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I sure hope not. Haven't we learned from the Ren Cen? Let's not make an even bigger mistake. A large building would be nice here, something to be proud of, but let's not get carried away. Detroit has plenty of room to grow besides up. Last thing it needs is for a giant flood of prime space to suck away the building momentum spreading into the so many worthy structures that haven't yet been renovated and nearby areas with room to grow. When the Ren Cen opened it sucked so much business from its neighbors. Supply and demand, folks. Let's check our hubris. Please, not again!
    It is supposed to be taller than the RenCen but not as large. The tower will not be taking up the entire site and it will be mostly upscale residential.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock N Rye View Post
    It is supposed to be taller than the RenCen but not as large. The tower will not be taking up the entire site and it will be mostly upscale residential.
    That makes me feel better. My hope is that it catalyzes growth, and doesn't put a cap on it.

This would be amazing. The problem with the Ren Cen is its isolation from the rest of downtown. The Hudson site is centrally located and would bring a ton of foot traffic.

Taller than the Renaissance Center I can understand.... larger than the Renaissance Center is not realistic.

Hudson's was 2.2 million square ft., RenCen is 5.5 million square ft.

I sure hope not. Haven't we learned from the Ren Cen?
    For me, the mistake of the RenCen is that it's one of those super-blocks that interrupts the street grid. It's also self-contained so you don't have to go anywhere other than within the building.

So I don't think this would be completely comparable to a super-block self-contained campus like the RenCen.

i have a feeling gilbert wants to put yahoo new world HQ in the building if he's able to secure the purchase... would be a dream come true if it's taller than ren cen. game changer for detroit

That makes me feel better. My hope is that it catalyzes growth, and doesn't put a cap on it.
    correct, taller not larger - apologize for that.

There's a theory in economics that suggests correlation between skyscrapers and recessions. :I

http://www.businessinsider.com/skysc...cession-2012-1

Hope the curse doesn't blow the wind out of our sails.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i have a feeling gilbert wants to put yahoo new world HQ in the building if he's able to secure the purchase... would be a dream come true if it's taller than ren cen. game changer for detroit
    I bet that would be a good guess, if and when he acquires the company. They have over 12,000 full-time employees.

A relocation of Yahoo! HQ to Detroit would be a game-changer for the region. Of course, it appears the plan for this site is mostly residential. As to a new tallest-building, I submit that the Monroe Block or one of the empty lots in the heart of the financial district [[or along Randolph) would be more appropriate sites, but if DG wants to go HAM on the Hudson Block, that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    I haven't been following DG and Yahoo.

Is Yahoo leaving CA realistic?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast