Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Prince and Detroit

Someone I know pointed me to this.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2016/04/...trifying-mojo/

I was a proud member of the Midnight Funk Association and that was where I first was introduced to Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlegumes View Post
    Anyone as a pic of the RenCen lighted up in purple in honor of Prince

Damn [[or should I say whoa?), I sure remember listening to Prince on Electrifyin' Mojo's show. Those were the good ol' days.

I became vaguely aware of Prince when I heard people talking about him being a great opening act for Rick James. But then Mojo picked up on him, and suddenly within days it seemed so did everyone in Detroit. To the point where I really had to struggle to get tickets for his concert at Joe Louis around Christmas '81. But that concert, opened by the also great Morris Day and The Time, was absolutely killer. One of the best shows I ever saw.

As I was telling people yesterday when the sad news broke, no one who ever saw him perform live will ever forget it.

Thanks for the interview link.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlegumes View Post
    This amazing interview was exactly what I was going to post! Thank you.

The Redford Theatre will be showing "Purple Rain" on Wed, Apr 27 at 7PM.

http://redfordtheatre.com/events/pri...e-purple-rain/

Although not generally my style of music, I liked Prince very much back in the day. I'm sorry he's dead, and my sincere condolences to his family and friends. I wish everyone would just let him rest in peace. No conspiracy theories, no public dissection of his human flaws, no what ifs about music never heard, no insincere mass hysteria. A great musician died; a family lost a father/husband/son/brother. That's it. 24/7 "continuing coverage" is sickening.

My porch light is on...in memoriam....MFA.... "The Kid" will live on... though we all cry like Billy Sparks....

I saw him in Ann Arbor with Time and Vanity 6 on the 82 tour. That was the best arena concert I have ever seen. Also, that was my favorite period for Prince's music. At the time, it was revolutionary.