Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can you name something that makes you feel Detroit is on a comeback

There's a lot of talk among Detroiters and even in national and international news reports that Detroit is making a comeback.
    Is there one construction job that has happen or a news announcement that makes you believe in the comeback?
    Is there a building to be built or renovation that should happen that would convince you if you're not there yet?
    Just asking you know what I have done.

I would guess that the first major project that occurs without tax incentives would mark the return of Detroit. Another sign would be a developer putting up on spec fifty or so McMansions on the east side.

Definitely home building in neighborhoods outside of downtown and midtown. If that happens it will signal that families are moving back in, not just us onesie twosies.

>90% occupancy
    >$1.50/sq ft rentals downtown and >$1.20 midtown
    ~30% appreciation pa since 2012.....at least where I was looking
    If that's not a comeback, it certainly signifies more demand than only a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Definitely home building in neighborhoods outside of downtown and midtown. If that happens it will signal that families are moving back in, not just us onesie twosies.
    This.

Has there been a nice uptick downtown? Absolutely. But new homes in the neighborhoods would mean the city of Detroit as a whole was growing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    There's a lot of talk among Detroiters and even in national and international news reports that Detroit is making a comeback.
    Is there one construction job that has happen or a news announcement that makes you believe in the comeback?
    Is there a building to be built or renovation that should happen that would convince you if you're not there yet?
    Just asking you know what I have done.
    City Place Detroit.

http://www.cityplacedetroit.com/

Complete renovation of a 320-unit apartment complex. Not downtown proper. The building has a waiting list longer than your arm. Non-local developer who owns in many different large towns; now looks at Detroit not as a charity case but a solid way to make money in a real estate investment [[and did, as a matter of fact).

There will be a "comeback" of sorts when significant numbers of people move to the city because it's a nice place to live, not because their boss told them to or because they could take advantage of an empowerment zone or other government program. For me, oversized swing sets, trendy restaurants and stadiums don't translate into a comeback but a few decades of slow progress without any major hiccups in the economy and a reversal of the population loss and anything is possible I guess. I'll also know Detroit is doing ok when people quit trying to sell me on a "comeback" every 15 seconds.
    Last edited by TTime; April-20-16 at 08:07 PM.

My friends in NYC no longer think I'm crazy for moving back to Detroit. Several have visited and would like to visit again.

When we moved to Detroit in 2009 The Kales had 8 apartments to show us that were available and we got a 11th floor 1200sqft place for $1000 a month, when we asked about breaking or lease early three years later, they we more than happy to help us. They had a waiting list 20 deep for two bedrooms and were going to charge the new renters 1500 a month. That's when I new it was starting. When you go down now and see all the construction, and they all have waiting lists once they start taking reservations, that's how you know it's in full swing.

There is definitely a comeback, heavily subsidized, in Midtown and Downtown. When there are good jobs available to all, vacant homes are replaced, it is safe to go to a gas station or to functional schools, the City will have made real progress.

Can You Name Something That Makes You Feel Detroit Is On A Comeback?

I no longer have to use The Club when I park my car @ night.
    I can leave a pair of old gloves on the car seat, and they'll be there in the morning AND the passenger side window.
    A For Sale building won't be stripped, gutted, and spray painted.
    Owner of said building won't be fined $500 by the City for graffiti.
    The police actually show up.
    The City's major source of income won't be parking tickets and towing.
    I can walk to the local pizza shop without being robbed @ gunpoint.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-21-16 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    There is definitely a comeback, heavily subsidized, in Midtown and Downtown. When there are good jobs available to all, vacant homes are replaced, it is safe to go to a gas station or to functional schools, the City will have made real progress.
    Somewhat subsidized, and the level of subsidy needed to lure people and jobs is shrinking. Agree on most of your points, but I will point out that a great deal of Detroit's unemployed are not readily employable, and that is the problem. Between lack of a functioning education [[many high school non-grads, some grads who still lack basic reading & math skills), lack of job history, and lack of skills to get a job, the number of unemployable Detroiters is into the 6 figures [[how many exactly I don't know; I bet no one actually knows). A gigantic new enterprise could open in Detroit and seek to hire Detroiters, but many of those people would not get hired. Everyone who is in that situation needs to be prodded by everyone they know to take advantage of an adult education program, and start working somewhere [[even as a volunteer) to get skills and learn professional responsibility. The problem with adults in that situation is that you can't externally impose a fix on them. You can offer opportunity and encouragement, but it is up to them to step up and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    There will be a "comeback" of sorts when significant numbers of people move to the city because it's a nice place to live, not because their boss told them to or because they could take advantage of an empowerment zone or other government program. For me, oversized swing sets, trendy restaurants and stadiums don't translate into a comeback but a few decades of slow progress without any major hiccups in the economy and a reversal of the population loss and anything is possible I guess. I'll also know Detroit is doing ok when people quit trying to sell me on a "comeback" every 15 seconds.
    Good comment!

There will be a comeback when Detroit is growing again. Show me a population increase in the 2020 Census. Until then, it's hype.

Good schools, good police, safe neighborhoods. That's the main thing needed for more than pioneers to move in.

What impresses me most are the communities that are organizing, purchasing properties, and restoring them. Grandmont Rosedale Development is doing great things. Organizations such as Motor City Blight Busters, Brick and Beam and Preservation Detroit [[just to name a few) are people in the city working to make the city better... The "come back" is much further along than you may realize.
    Last edited by MotorCityPaintCo.; April-21-16 at 03:20 PM.

Default Would Not Send My Dog To DPS

The dysfunctional and crooked school system called DPS would turn off any family considering moving to Detroit. The Yuppies are great, and have turned the ghost town known as downtown, into a promising area. Midtown is hot as well – except Spain elementary. Attracting families is not on the horizon; families will never move to Detroit – en masse – as long as the public schools are decrepit, crooked, and seem to hire their administrators right out of the parole office.

When my neighborhood actually looks like a neighborhood again.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    The dysfunctional and crooked school system called DPS would turn off any family considering moving to Detroit. The Yuppies are great, and have turned the ghost town known as downtown, into a promising area. Midtown is hot as well – except Spain elementary. Attracting families is not on the horizon; families will never move to Detroit – en masse – as long as the public schools are decrepit, crooked, and seem to hire their administrators right out of the parole office.
    Chicago Public Schools is not far behind. The difference is that they have many private and parochial school options for the yuppies who have kids.

When it doesnt cost $4000 a year to insure a $1000 hooptie

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Chicago Public Schools is not far behind. The difference is that they have many private and parochial school options for the yuppies who have kids.
    The path to good schools in Detroit does not lie in public schools, regardless of the money thrown at it. I think Michigan should use Detroit as a pilot all-choice city. Let all government money for K-12 education in Detroit follow the kids to whatever school will take them. Incorporate the current public schools that don't close as separate not-for-profits run by a board made up of parents and teachers. Since the schools are both terrible and broke, there is no downside. If it leads to better results for kids, expand it statewide.

Foot traffic downtown, consistently expanding block by block everytime you see that.

Density-- the new construction alongside Lafayette Plaiscance [[even if poorly executed) is a big sign; the conversion of the Hammer-Nail building to residential is also a high-water mark for preservation of density and height.

Woodward from Grand to Jefferson is going to be a legitimate urban corridor that we can legitimiately hang our hat on. While that materializes, though, we need to actively turn to neighborhood restoration, an assault on the gangs that are imperiling regular hard working people in far NE and far W neighborhoods, and making out other corridors as booming as Woodward.

The plummeting cost of car insurance in Detroit over the past 2 years was what signaled progress in my mind. Maybe it's just the tenants moving downtown/midtown/burbs have better credit scores and everyone wins. Three years ago I was paying $1,200 for six months for full coverage on an SUV in the 48226. Now it's down to $560 for six months coverage on the same SUV. Comparable rates with the burbs. With Progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Would Not Send My Dog To DPS
    Why send him? He could probably score a job there and you'd be drawing extra income for your household.

Default Potential Felons Need Only Apply

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Why send him? He could probably score a job there and you'd be drawing extra income for your household.
    They don't seem to have a very high threshold as far as ethics or integrity is concerned, he might have a shot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast