Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: RIP - Les Paul

Default RIP - Les Paul

Now there's a guy who deserves more "celebrity worship" than he's probably going to get.

I'm sure it will be a private service for family and friends, but the tribute concert should be awesome with all of his dedicated followers/slingers.

RIP. Mary Ford walked ahead in 1977. Together again at last. May the spirit world enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I'm sure it will be a private service for family and friends, but the tribute concert should be awesome with all of his dedicated followers/slingers.
    like the Danny Gatton tribute concert -- big names all over

ccbatson Guest

Another icon gone.

I just watched this not too long ago. [[Les Paul documentary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vomuse9tok

Who can forget Bye, Bye Blues and Vaya Con Dios with his wife Mary Ford? I can hear Paul Winter playing them on his radio show in my head.

As a Colbert Conservative I must also note, that Les Paul was both a great musician, and an inventor and entrepreneur [[too bad the French don’t have a word for that)! His pioneering work with sound reproduction and the solid body guitar made not only innovative sounds, but also a lot of businesses [[and wealth creation) possible.
    Last edited by Omaha; August-13-09 at 06:05 PM. Reason: I didn't italicize entrepreneur and the joke about the French not having a word for it is harder to get.

That was cool, Pam. I loved how he was sitting on an Indian mound, learned how to make a crystal set, then heard the guitar on the crystal set.

A musician, tinkerer, experimenter, scientist.
    He surely made my life better.

I love Terry Gross...she had an interview on her show, Fresh Aire, today, with Mr. Paul from 1992.

She even got him to blush, it seemed. What an interview. What a guy.

I may indeed have to read his biography...please tell me it is written already!

ccbatson Guest

While I knew he was old, somehow I can't believe he was 94...too vibrant, too productive to give the impression of his age right till the end.

I have always wanted a Les Paul, My first electric was a strat rip off. When I can tolerate my guitar playing I will get a LESTER. R.I.P. Les , You set the stage.