Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Which areas safe to walk all hours -incl evening?

i see a negative thread "Worst neighborhoods" and maybe 6 months ago I had two on the old board "Best" and "Worst".

More specifically which areas would you feel totally comfortable walking at night or day if by mistake you left your AK-47 at home?

I tend to wander areas in different places and police sometimes tell me "you shouldn't be here" so its best not to be left to my own devices.

My guess -Downtown is cool. I wanted to also add Jefferson/Burns area but the building I like there [[Burgess Book) has been vandalized many times and even in the last 30 days on the crime reports -there's stuff happening less than 100 yards away.

So... where?

Mexicantown [[closer to Michigan ave) and Corktown. I have lived and worked and taken the bus and walked in all sorts of places within the city because I don't have a car, and even compared to downtown and WSU area [[which really never felt safe at all) these areas always felt exceptionally safe. I used to work in Corktown and on a few occassions walked after 10pm when I got off all the way home to my place in Mexicantown and never felt threatened. I can not say that for any other area. Many people would probably disagree, though...

detroitjim Guest

Almost anywhere , north of Eight Mile or west of Telegraph!

It really depends. I honestly don't think you can say anywhere is "safe" at all hours, all the time, because crime is random. The safest neighborhoods in this city have had their share of crime. Criminals are mobile, they don't hang out in one spot. And although there may be concentrations of crime, no area is totally free of it.

Welcome to Detroit... But I think this goes for any major city--Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    It really depends. I honestly don't think you can say anywhere is "safe" at all hours, all the time, because crime is random. The safest neighborhoods in this city have had their share of crime. Criminals are mobile, they don't hang out in one spot. And although there may be concentrations of crime, no area is totally free of it.

Welcome to Detroit... But I think this goes for any major city--Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, etc.
    I have to agree. The important thing is to use common sense. Stay out of dark alleys, don't initiate trouble for yourself, and be aware of your surroundings.

No areas are really safe if you're looking to carpet bag or slumlord.

People won't welcome you with open arms.

east detroit - You have the same integrity as kwame without the education.

On the last thread you trolled that i lectured people about eating fish caught in the river - then you hid when I asked you for some evidence or a link.

Cowards like you can hide and lie behind anonymous screen names- very classy!

Did I say anything about going into rental properties? I just want an old building that has architectural value that I can use for a summer home as the summers are hot here. I could lease out a floor but that's more for someone to watch rather than to be a landlord.

As others have explained to you - Detroit needs all the investors it can find - one building at a time. Get a job and buy your own house - instead of being jealous of others - even you can afford one at these prices.
    Last edited by Ocean2026; April-04-09 at 05:35 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    east detroit - You have the same integrity as kwame without the education.

On the last thread you trolled that i lectured people about eating fish caught in the river - then you hid when I asked you for some evidence or a link.

Cowards like you can hide and lie behind anonymous screen names- very classy!

Did I say anything about going into rental properties? I just want an old building that has architectural value that I can use for a summer home as the summers are hot here. I could lease out a floor but that's more for someone to watch rather than to be a landlord.

As others have explained to you - Detroit needs all the investors it can find - one building at a time. Get a job and buy your own house - instead of being jealous of others - even you can afford one at these prices.
    Do you turn hostile that quickly in real life? If so, you probably shouldn't walk around Detroit at all. Eventually someone will try to talk shit to you, and if you respond like that you'll probably get your ass kicked. Just a bit of friendly advice...

No lol it took him doing this twice - he finds where I post talks about carpetbaggers and whatever else is bothering him and then when I call him on it -he hides.

This was a nice thread until he trolled it. I do alright in most "bad" neighborhoods but am only used to Buffalo - Pittsburgh - Cincy- DC. I just like looking at nice old buildings -when people ask me "What are you doing here -can I help you?" I just ask what they know about the building I'm looking at.

This thread - read the title -was basically asking about other people's experiences, not giving East Detroit more opportunities to vent about his issues.

He's certainly free to start his own thread about Carpetbaggers - people with jobs - or whatever he's too cheap to pay his shrink to work out for him lol

I walk through brush park daily and haven't had any problems. Loneliness is the biggest problem no one else about. I walk from campus martius to med center. I'm thinking the more people walking about the safer things are.

thanks -Brush Park area has lots of nice buildings too from what I understand.

Detroit does not need more "landlords", especially those not available year-round.

Yes, I have a job. Yes, I own a house.

No, I don't like ... what's the new politically correct term.... "distance challenged landlords [[DCL)".

No, I won't do free tours or take free pictures or give a free community report to a potential DCL.

Yes, I will comment that we do not welcome DCLs.

Especially those who alternate between asking for free property information and then slamming Detroit or Detroiters. Such as when said potential-DCL remarked that Detroiters are stupid for importing their "seafood" with the Detroit River in such close proximity. It was in the Harmonie Park thread... unless it was deleted.

No apologies. No DCLs. We aren't that desperate. You won't encounter a red carpet.

Midtown is probably the safest. I've never had any trouble there at all. I've walked at all times of the day/night and never had a problem. But to be safe, lets say north of MLK.

New Center if fairly safe at all times. I've never been scared to walk there at night.

Downtown is safe at all times. The most well known by suburbanites. The riverwalk is also safe the entire span.

Corktown is okay to walk at night, but only in popluated areas. I'm too scared to walk in areas with just industrial buildings, empty lots or surface parking.

Mexicantown/West Vernor is okay all times. As with Springwells to the west.

...and then there is Woodbridge. I live here. I'm never scared to go out at night, but I've heard countless stories of muggings. I know dozens of people who have been held up in woodbridge, many of them several times. This isn't true of other neighborhoods I listed outside isolated incidents. But I have yet to encounter / be a victim of a mugging.

If these neighborhoods, along with a few others, were integrated better, and were more built up, Detroit could have a huge urban core of stable up and coming neighborhoods.

Sigh. You can actually walk plenty of other neighborhoods besides the ones that are always mentioned here during the daytime. [[Yes, even if you're white.)

It's a block-by-block, sometimes house-by-house thing. Just get to know people who live there and they can give you the scoop. [[That's a general rule of thumb ANYWHERE on the globe, actually.)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Sigh. You can actually walk plenty of other neighborhoods besides the ones that are always mentioned here during the daytime. [[Yes, even if you're white.)

It's a block-by-block, sometimes house-by-house thing. Just get to know people who live there and they can give you the scoop. [[That's a general rule of thumb ANYWHERE on the globe, actually.)
    English is spot on.

I don't know if I would say downtown is safe, or the Riverwalk. I haven't fogotten the bloody t-shirt I saw one morning on a park bench in Hart Plaza. Never found out what happened, but that much blood did not come from a papercut.

I guess I would say that any area can be dangerous if the right combination of people come together there. Just because nothing has happened to YOU, doesn't mean an area is safe. You simply have to use common sense, and be hyper-aware of your surroundings and people in them.

Even here in rural Minnesota, I don't like to walk any of the towns alone at night, and even a late night trip to Wal-Mart has me watching everyone closely. I don't care where you go, you are not 100% safe. Just some places you are less safe than others.

Corktown, Hubbard farms, Hubbard Richard, CBD, Lafayette park, Indian village, University district, Rosedale, Grandmont, Palmer woods, West village, sherwood forest, East English village, New center commons, woodbridge, Palmer Park...
    Areas that are OK... Boston Edison, Lasalle gardens, Brush Park, Morningside, Bagley. to name a few...
    I personally even feel comfortable in brightmoor so I guess I am the exception.... Honestly I walk my lab mix all over and never have a problem....

Lorax Guest

Urban, what's the lab mixed with, Satan? LOL. I though I saw a couple of nubby horns poking out! No wonder you feel safe!

Just kidding. Keeping it light.

I would agree any of those areas feel safe to walk, but with the way I look, few people would probably mess with me.

As to East Detroit's carpetbagging issue, I guess I fall into that cagtegory. I was born and raised in Detroit, haven't live there in 20+ years, but recently bought a home in Southfield which I plan to live in half the year to start.

Like many of the other posters, I can afford to restore only one house, but wanted ample land, and the closest I could find an acre of woods near Detroit was Southfield, and have already used several Detroit sources to aid in the renovation.

The architectural salvage place on Grand River, local lumber and flooring stores, tile is next, local plumbing, heating, and tree/landscaping companies. I fully intend to use local sourcing for the work, and feel it contributes to the economy.

If the home had sold to someone else, it would probably have been a rental, and wouldn't have had the kind of work done to it as I am doing.

I disagree with East Detroit in the concept of not encouraging out-of towners to buy and lease homes. There are enough empty ones that could be occupied- which is the key here, and whether or not they're rentals or not, locals who can no longer afford to own their own home, had job losses, etc, need to rent.

Certainly corporate owners of large numbers of houses is not the ideal situation, but individual investors with fewer than a dozen homes to rent doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Urban, what's the lab mixed with, Satan? LOL. I though I saw a couple of nubby horns poking out! No wonder you feel safe!
    I am no good at photo shop so no horns in this pic... Well I guess for a 60 lb lab mix she could be intimidating but I think people are much less likely to approach you when you have a dog with you unless they are dog lovers....

gravitymachine Guest

i was walking my bike down a busy congress st at randolph last night after the games and one of a group of guys right behind told me "i'm going to kill you". great place to walk

Lorax Guest

Urban, your lab is too cute to be intimidating! Great pic.

Gravitywalker, I agree a group against one person IS intimidating, and I have been accosted verbally downtown in years past, but I have been robbed at gunpoint in Chicago on a street of million-dollar houses, so go figure.

Lorax Guest

Sorry, Gravitymachine. I was thinking space/Luke Skywalker when calling you Gravitywalker.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    i was walking my bike down a busy congress st at randolph last night after the games and one of a group of guys right behind told me "i'm going to kill you". great place to walk
    There was lots of trash littering all over the place last night. I had one dude tell me that I had a cool hoody but I shouldn't be wearing it because im not a nigger. Then something about representing which at that point I had walked away. I think some people really get a thrill from pushing others buttons for the sake of it. It's like their own lives are so decrepit that it's pure entertianment to make a huge ass of themselves in an attempt to make others feel the most uncomfortable.

There are plenty of places around here that I feel comfortable walking in at any hour, but there are the ones that make me nervous whenever. They might be the same exact neigborhood. Just keep your eyes open and blend in as well as you can.

I think that goes for most places. While staying in a relatively nice hotel in downtown Albuquerque, I felt perfectly safe walking wherever, but a co-worker was mugged on a street immediately behind the building.

I had car problems and had to stop on Lahser just south of McNichols. I felt perfectly comfortable there, but a man came out of his apartment to watch over me while I waited for AAA, because he didn't want anything bad to happen.

Staying in DC, I walked everywhere, any time, while local co-workers were shocked that I did that and survived. So far, I have luckily met only very friendly helpful people.

Lets be honest here. You can be safe in most.. not all areas in Detroit. In depends on your attitude and street smarts. Some people walk down the street looking like a mugging waiting to happen. Other people can send a message to strangers they pass on the street by giving them a look that says 'don't even think about messing with me' People are always sizing you up no matter where you walk and if you look like easy pickings they will try you. Thats just about any city. Toronto was the only city I felt I could let my guard down.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast