Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hamtramck connector

http://detroitriverfront.org/things-to-do/dequindre-cut-grand-opening-celebration

This blurb here mentions "additional bike lanes from the end of the Dequindre Cut to Hamtramck".

Since the northern terminus of the Cut is now Mack, does anyone know where the bike lanes are that will lead into Hamtramck?

Likely route would be Mack to St. Aubin to E. Grand Blvd./Hamtramck Dr. to Jos. Campau

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Likely route would be Mack to St. Aubin to E. Grand Blvd./Hamtramck Dr. to Jos. Campau
    I figured as much. That does indeed seem the likely route. Here's to hoping the powers that be get it right and make the bike lanes large and visible, as that route has a lot of busy, heavy industrial traffic.

I'd love to see bike lanes marked vibrantly enough that it subconsciously deters drivers from using them. Like when the pavement is tinted another color entirely.

I really need to buy a new bike.

Are those tracks utilized between Mack and Warren? If not, maybe they could extend the Dequindre Cut up to Warren and then start the Hamtramck connector from there?

St. Aubin is relatively traffic free. The problem with the Blvd / Hamtramck Drive is the road condition. I used to rollerblade that section regularly 10-15 years ago before the road deteriorated to the point it is now, which is so bad you'd spend as much time dodging potholes in addition to paying attn to traffic, [[which really isn't too bad).

My hopes have always been for this route to continue up behind the Milwaukee lofts next to the tracks [[the tracks I believe are still being used, at least they were three years ago when I'd lose an employee everytime one rolled by as we were working at the lofts. ) From there they could send you up the side of the tracks to Clay street/Fleming, where they removed most of the tracks several years ago. While to me this seems like the most scenic [[coolest) and least traveled traffic wise, it is also the approach to the switching yard.

They've been talking about this for about 5 years now, and I've always hoped this project would be the one that made Hamtramck a destination just because of its bike-abiltiy, and proximity to everything. Hell, Campus is a 10-15 minute bike ride cutting thru Milwaukee or Baltimore. Same for eastern market headin down St. Aubin. [[Add considerable time if you're slow-rolling). And above all, it's another route to Belle Isle [[half hour) as the Blvd is looking pretty rough the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    St. Aubin is relatively traffic free. The problem with the Blvd / Hamtramck Drive is the road condition. I used to rollerblade that section regularly 10-15 years ago before the road deteriorated to the point it is now, which is so bad you'd spend as much time dodging potholes in addition to paying attn to traffic, [[which really isn't too bad).

That road is an absolute DISASTER. Used to use it regularly to cut away from I-75 traffic jams. Don't do it so much now - talk about teeth rattling...

They put bike lines on St Aubin last year. But I never use them. It's better to cut into the subdivisions. There are few houses and it is like riding in the country.

The Hamtramck Drive to Jos. Campau is the least fun part of the ride.

Since I live on Conant, I travel east once I hit the Poletown plant. There is a huge sidewalk that is level all the way to Hamtramck on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post

Same for eastern market headin down St. Aubin.
    I like to take Russell Street south from Milwaukee to get to Eastern Market. The ride is great. The road is in good condition, and you get a pure Detroit experience... urban prairie, new construction, abandoned warehouses, soaring churches, etc. Plus you will ride right into the heart of Eastern Market and can quickly get to the bike racks.