Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Department stores question

Hi,

We all know the major department stores that were in Detroit in the 40's and 50's. I collect vintage men's neckties and I've found two store names that I don't recognize. Perhaps someone could help me with a little history on either or both?

I few months back I bought a tie with a tag on the tail from a store called Rollins and Company [[Detroit, Michigan).

The other is another tie tag from a store called Lloyd Davis men's wear [[Detroit).

Both are lovely vintage silk ties.

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you,

Holly

You can't find much by a simple Google search, but I did find this link from the John King bookstore website. It appears Rollins & Co. was at 36 W. Adams.

http://www.rarebooklink.com/cgi-bin/kingbooks/97-8105

The Rollins Company: Detroit 1937 Ilustr, 10.75 x 7.754, pict stapled wraps, unpag [[8 pp). Light soiling, creasing and spotting else good. Catalogue has b&w photos of models wearing mink, Hudson seal, Persian lamb, Alaska seal, etc. "Every fur coat is absolutely new and all are advanced fall 1937-38 fashions direct form Paris." Designers listed are Lanvin, Pacquin, Schiaparelli. The Rollins Co. was at 36 W. Adams.

I had heard that Rollins & Co. was a furrier, mostly for women. I'm guessing the tie was perhaps a "thank you" gift for the man who bought his lady the fur or perhaps the store had a small accessories area.

Name:  Rollins front.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  57.1 KB
    Name:  Rollins tag.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  101.8 KB

The Rollins & Co tie.

HK, do not give up on your hunt.

Estate Sale season is kicking into high gear again, and all the enthusiasts will be waiting outside the major spots [[many in Dearborn & Dearborn Heights-they have their own caravan culture, trading information, following popular estate sale companies, the works) in a line hours before they open every weekend day morning. The ones in Dearborn [[and Heights) are usually by older folks who collected lots of things [[many of them Catholic)-so you see a lot of tourist ephemera, old magazines, old stuff on Detroit, and things from department stores long vanished.

I've seen lots of ties. Many of these sales are hastily put together, and they might not know some of the value put on some of the items they sell. Even of not, some of these sales have garages packed with every kind of tool or part imaginable [[bought a pair of old 60w GE bulbs for 50 cents, and they worked. Sure beats paying $5 for a box of 4 from Kroger and finding out much later that half of them don't work).

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    You can't find much by a simple Google search, but I did find this link from the John King bookstore website. It appears Rollins & Co. was at 36 W. Adams.
    That address would place it in the western-most storefront in the Michigan Mutual Building [[now Grand Park Centre), immediately to the east of the Adams Theater.

Here is the tie from the Lloyd Davis store. I was able to find some advertising spots in a Detroit News page from newspapers.com dated November 1950.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  276.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  198.4 KB

I might start wearing ties to work again, if I could find ones with knights and halberds.

^^^Will you settle for drunk squires under a tree with a wineskin?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

http://www.rarebooklink.com/cgi-bin/kingbooks/97-8105
    Not wishing to veer from the subject, but this post is more evidence that the John King bookstore is a Detroit Gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Not wishing to veer from the subject, but this post is more evidence that the John King bookstore is a Detroit Gem!
    Thank you for mentioning it again. I just checked the website and it is truly amazing. What a buzz.

Ok, how about Leib Brothers store? Or a men's store called Jack's Place? The Leib Bros tie looks older. The Jack's Place tie is a wide 70's tie.

Jack's Place was on Livernois on the "Avenue of Fashion". It was located on the west side of Livernois south of Outer Drive. The store was all men's wear it was there in the 70's and gone in the 80's.

Thank you for the info on Jack's Place. I was able to narrow down the timeline for the Lieb Brothers tie via the makers tag. 1950's era.

15. Default

Ad for Rollins from my 1940 Polk's Detroit City Guide...
    Name:  rollins.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  107.8 KB

Oh that's wonderful, Lowell! Thank you so much for posting the ad. The Rollins looked pretty chic.

That is my grandfather's, Fred Rollins store. Would you sell that tie to me if you still have it? Rollins Co was clothing and furs and was originally in the Buhl Building Downtown Detroit near Grizwald St. He later owned Sullivan-Rollins Furs in Grosse Pointe

Quote Originally Posted by HKWolf View Post
    Thank you for the info on Jack's Place. I was able to narrow down the timeline for the Lieb Brothers tie via the makers tag. 1950's era.
    There was a Lieb Brothers store at Wonderland Mall in Livonia. It was still there in the late 80s, I bought a wallet there around '87 or '88. I'm not sure if they had other locations, although I remember having the impression it was an old-line long-established business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharmount View Post
    That is my grandfather's, Fred Rollins store. Would you sell that tie to me if you still have it? Rollins Co was clothing and furs and was originally in the Buhl Building Downtown Detroit near Grizwald St. He later owned Sullivan-Rollins Furs in Grosse Pointe
    Since the store was owned by your grandfather I will consider it. I just found this on the Shopgoodwill.com site. Some furs from your grandfather's store. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-36043949.htmlThat might be better than a tie.
    Last edited by HKWolf; January-09-17 at 03:05 PM.