Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Further proof that Detroit is New York City's newest borough

Or , another jaded New Yorker moves to Detroit ,not really,but
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  83.3 KB
    making sure when New Yorkers move to Detroit they feel right at home and recognize all their stumping grounds.
    not really but you have to admit, New York does have a "thing"
    for Detroit
    i guess they really took to that move to Detroit thing seriously
    Last edited by Detroitdave; April-16-16 at 01:26 PM.

This is for Calexico, right? Looking forward to trying it. And happy to see interest from any quarter with money to spend on growing businesses in Detroit.

So this means we're now their sixth borough?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    So this means we're now their sixth borough?
    Yep it's official lol

It will be interesting for sure to see how it plays out.

Calexico is a play on Texas/Mexican [[Tex/Mex) but with a California Twist hence the [[Cal/Mexican) or Calexico.

The price point for an entree is comparable to anything else downtown [[e.g. 12 bucks an entree/burritto or enchilladas).

What I remember being a tad pricey was their appetizers. Just ordering a side of chips and guacaomole was $12.

The tacos were $5 - which is about double the price point of Imperial in Ferndale.

Think of it as an upscale Chipotle - or double the price. You go to Chipotle for quick eats. This is the dining version which doubles the price.

Since this is obviously sarcasm then bravo it worked and you got a laugh and to piggyback on your joke it seems there is competition to be the 6th because Akron just got a New York Style pizza place.
    Last edited by TTime; April-18-16 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Since this is obviously sarcasm then bravo it worked and you got a laugh and to piggyback on your joke it seems there is competition to be the 6th because Akron just got a New York Style pizza place.
    "Move to Akron...."
    nah its doesn't quite have that same feel 😛😜

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    "Move to Akron...."
    nah its doesn't quite have that same feel 😛😜
    Help me out...doesn't have the same feel as a joke or you think Detroit has more appeal to New Yorkers than Akron?

Help me out...doesn't have the same feel as a joke or you think Detroit has more appeal to New Yorkers than Akron?
    I would think Detroit has more to offer someone from NYC than Akron, Nothing against Akron.
    I'm sure Akron is a nice city, and I'm being serious about that

I would think Detroit has more to offer someone from NYC than Akron, Nothing against Akron.
    I'm sure Akron is a nice city, and I'm being serious about that
    No disagreement there. Akron is closer obviously and also has cheap, if not cheaper, housing but probably not as many job opportunities....oh and they have this http://www.pierrespizzaanddeli.com/
    Last edited by TTime; April-18-16 at 04:16 PM.

No disagreement there. Akron is closer obviously and also has cheap, if not cheaper, housing but probably not as many job opportunities....oh and they have this http://www.pierrespizzaanddeli.com/
    That looks like an authentic new city deli and pizzeria . I would def check it out .

Anyone else notice all the ugly mustard New York license plates around town lately? I see one ever other day.

Yay! Detroit has a Mexican restuarant now.

If Detroit is going to have a closer relationship business and culturely with another American city you couldn't ask for a better one than NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Anyone else notice all the ugly mustard New York license plates around town lately? I see one ever other day.
    For several months after a new sorta-thrift store opened on Eureka in Wyandotte last year just about every single car that was parked at the lot there had that exact type of license plate.

The accolades flow from many sources, I’ll give it a try. Coming from California, Mexican restaurants are a nickel a dozen; generous portions, served up hot and fresh, and reasonable being the key word. Detroit has had, and continues to, offer a nice assortment of Mexican restaurants around the tri-county area, and I frequent them often.
    The $5.00 taco will be my first order; a tad steep for me, but for those on their lunchbreaks with limited time, the price could be secondary to the food and location.

http://calexico.net/our-story

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    The accolades flow from many sources, I’ll give it a try. Coming from California, Mexican restaurants are a nickel a dozen; generous portions, served up hot and fresh, and reasonable being the key word. Detroit has had, and continues to, offer a nice assortment of Mexican restaurants around the tri-county area, and I frequent them often.
    The $5.00 taco will be my first order; a tad steep for me, but for those on their lunchbreaks with limited time, the price could be secondary to the food and location.

http://calexico.net/our-story
    Moving back to Detroit from LA, after 20 plus years. I can safely say I've tried many, many, many Mexican restaurants. IN my opinion the mom and pop places and the places that are connected to the car washes are THE BEST !
    You don't need fancy , yuppie, expensive Mexican restaurants.
    I will give it a try once or twice, but why spend more than you have to when Jose's is really good and just two blocks away.
    Jose's rocks !

Default Jose's Does Rock; and Reminds me of Mexican Restaurants in San Diego

Moving back to Detroit from LA, after 20 plus years. I can safely say I've tried many, many, many Mexican restaurants. IN my opinion the mom and pop places and the places that are connected to the car washes are THE BEST !
    You don't need fancy , yuppie, expensive Mexican restaurants.
    I will give it a try once or twice, but why spend more than you have to when Jose's is really good and just two blocks away.
    Jose's rocks !
    I agree with you 110%, the best Mexican restaurants in San Diego are in Barrio Logan. Authentic, reasonable and the biggest, best burritos ever - less than a finski.
    I have never seen such a variety of positive comments about a Mexican restaurant, as I saw on calexico.net
    I will certainly give it a try, but I'm just not seeing my way clear to $5.00 for a taco.And I can make a killer Guac in my own kitchen

Calexico will be a welcome addition downtown. Better than a Shake Shack. And I think they'll do great [[a Shake Shack would probably do great too).

But if you're from California, temper your expectations. Calexico got their start in Soho, not long ago, during food truck cool. Now they have a concession stand in the Barclays Center. Popular, for sure. But the people who rave about it aren't Mexican, and few have been in New York long [[nor are they from California). They've probably never been to a Mexican restaurant in Corona, Elmhurst, or Sunset Park — places where many Mexicans [[still) live. And they're likely to say Habana serves their favorite Cuban food. Come to think of it, Calexico opened their food truck a few blocks from the first Habana, and Habana has a concession stand in the Barclays Center too...

That's ok. A fine meal is great on occasion, it can be fun to cook something nice at home, and I appreciate authenticity but it shouldn't be a requirement for good food. As long as it's fairly healthy and tastes ok, I'm not fussy. Calexico may not be my favorite, but it fits the bill.

It's interesting that of all places they could have expanded Calexico chose Detroit. Habana chose Malibu and Dubai. Are Calexico's owners originally from the Detroit area? It could really be someone has an interest in moving. Or was it strictly a business decision? It's not at the top of the list, but I do hear people in New York talking about Detroit, more and more. Even if the joke usually places Philadelphia as NY's next borough.
    Last edited by bust; April-23-16 at 01:18 AM.

P.S. I'd be mildly surprised if the prices are the same in Detroit as they are in NY. By NY standards Calexico is rather affordable, especially for the neighborhoods where they are. Rent is so much drastically higher in New York, and I imagine all the other business services are too. Then again, the potential customer base is much bigger...
    Last edited by bust; April-23-16 at 08:40 PM.

idk. I think we have enough mexican restaurants in the area. We need more stripclubs

LOL well Dan Gilbert did just tear down the Grind , There's still Bouzouki and the "New" Legends.
    And several on 8 mile

LOL well Dan Gilbert did just tear down the Grind , There's still Bouzouki and the "New" Legends.
    And several on 8 mile
    There are at least 3 on Michigan Ave too. And I think a couple on John R.

OH THANK GOD! Because if there's one thing we really needed, it was New York's approval.

Name:  giphy.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  6.9 KB

There's nothing we love than more New York trust fund-hipsters slum touring the city giving us official approval that our own city is "cool." Thanks New York.

And I remember when these jabronies began trickling in a few years ago, they would be at D'Mongo's, trying to convince us in they're thick Jersey accent's that despite being white men, dressed as unisex folk in skinny jeans that they were born and raised in downtown Detroit. LOL. Sure you were kid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast