Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paul Carey [[1928-2016)

Paul Carey formerly of WJR who broadcasted Detroit Tigers & Detroit Pistons games, anchored the WJR sports updates during the news when Bob Reynolds was away, and created the Michigan High School Scoreboard show has passed away at age 88.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/ml...arey/82964116/
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-13-16 at 12:08 AM.

What an incredible period of time to live through. RIP

I spent many afternoons and evenings with my portable radio and Paul Carey's voice [[Ernie too).

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I spent many afternoons and evenings with my portable radio and Paul Carey's voice [[Ernie too).
    Those two guys were the sounds of summer. Anybody who came after them just didn't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Those two guys were the sounds of summer. Anybody who came after them just didn't compare.
    Some people are fortunate in their lives to touch millions of people's lives.

That is one of the great joys of sports.

Paul Carey and Kobe's lifes change the world for many, many people.

RIP, Paul. Happy retirement, Kobe.

I'm confused what Kobe Bryant has to do with a Detroit legend like Paul Carey.

Quote Originally Posted by bmick67 View Post
    I'm confused what Kobe Bryant has to do with a Detroit legend like Paul Carey.
    They are both sports legends who brought much joy to sports fans in Detroit and elsewhere.

It was kind of an 'over arching' comment.

Actually, though, Kobe probably brought sorrow to Detroit basketball fans, come to think of it.

Actually, he brought a lot of joy to this Detroit basketball fan by having a little prima donna bitchfest with Shaq and Phil Jackson, and pouting like a spoiled child who'd had his silver spoon stolen by Rip Hamilton, during the 2004 NBA Finals. Game 5 in that series was definitely my favorite Kobe moment.

He was pretty much the opposite of everything Paul Carey was. Even though it's his last day in the NBA today, I would never have thought to bring up the two of them together in any way.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-13-16 at 09:41 PM.

Here is an interview by my fellow Spartan Paul Carey talking about how he got into radio, and how he came to get the job with the Tigers. Also, some wonderful reflections on Ernie Harwell.

http://www.detroitnews.com/videos/sp...3/13/70254822/

And another little piece where Paul talks about working with Ernie. You can see him tearing up just a bit for a second talking about it. There's also just a little moment shot in broadcast booth at Tiger Stadium that may bring a little tear to your eyes [[as it did mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJduPd3EIg

Bye Paul...
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-13-16 at 03:37 PM.

I started listening to Tiger games with Ray Lane in '67. At the time I didn't realize that was his 1st yr. as a Tiger broadcaster. By 1973 there wasn't much left of the Tiger lineup that won the World Series and the division championship. To make matters worse some old guy with a deep voice was replacing one of my favorites. Needless to say, it didn't take long for Paul Carey to fit right in and become part of my new favorite broadcast team for the next 20 years.

WJR was the last of the "full service" radio stations. I remember their 15 minute hourly news blocks during drive time, and the 15 minute sports blocks at 5:15 and 11:15. Don't re,ember Carey on the Tiger broadcasts, but definately remember the 11:30 pm Michigan High School Scoreboard Show where they ran down EVERY high school game during football and basketball season.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I started listening to Tiger games with Ray Lane in '67. At the time I didn't realize that was his 1st yr. as a Tiger broadcaster. By 1973 there wasn't much left of the Tiger lineup that won the World Series and the division championship. To make matters worse some old guy with a deep voice was replacing one of my favorites. Needless to say, it didn't take long for Paul Carey to fit right in and become part of my new favorite broadcast team for the next 20 years.
    Do you mean the amount of players in the lineup or the quality of play from players on the field? By 1973, the core of that team from the mid-late 1960's was still together with the notable exception of Denny McLain. Actually, the team was competitive in the A.L. East until around Labor Day despite the Billy Martin mess that year. Granted, that year was a bit a mirage. However, it was really mid-1974 when the wheels fell off the wagon and the house cleaning began in earnest.