Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Firm Selected for East Riverfront Development

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Looks like SOM was selected as the firm in charge of the planning of development for the remaining East Riverfront to Belle Isle. Good to see a firm with that kinda clout working on the project. It will be interesting to see what they conclude for the area.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/4/11/...front-district

i like this too!

Six local firms will also provide consulting in the project. Also, Dean of the Harvard University Graduate School of Design Mohsen Mostafavi will lead a "Creative Detroit Think Tank" to help address the issues.

I was hoping for another firm to get the gig but SOM had a very good presentation. Looking forward to seeing what they say this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I was hoping for another firm to get the gig but SOM had a very good presentation. Looking forward to seeing what they say this evening.
    Are they going to present anything?

Not sure, I know it is at the community involvement stage, so they may give their thoughts or they might just listen to what the community wants. I am hoping they have something to share regarding their vision.

The firm has a proven track record of quality developments, but this is Detroit so who knows.

I am hoping for an extension of the riverwalk, ample public spaces, high density [[but not high rise) residential and office space, and a good mix of retail spaces. The architecture should be contemporary and varied. It should also somehow take into account the views from Belle Isle, the bridge, and Jefferson Ave. This is a landmark development, far more important than State Fair site IMO, so the architecture and planning should reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    The firm has a proven track record of quality developments, but this is Detroit so who knows.

I am hoping for an extension of the riverwalk, ample public spaces, high density [[but not high rise) residential and office space, and a good mix of retail spaces. The architecture should be contemporary and varied. It should also somehow take into account the views from Belle Isle, the bridge, and Jefferson Ave. This is a landmark development, far more important than State Fair site IMO, so the architecture and planning should reflect this.

Just for the sake of clarity, this is strictly SmithGroup's vision on how to utilize the east riverfront, correct? There is absolutely no investment/money/dedicated development tied to these plans, but is just a guideline based on their vision and community input?

This also gets me thinking about the Uniroyal site. Does Jerome Bettis and his partners still have plans to develop the site? It's been all quiet on that front for some time now. I'm not sure if the city needs to send out another RFP or Bettis still owns the award to develop it. Remediation of those two parcels hasn't even been finalized yet, so I'd imagine it will still be several years before that section can even be considered for that development.

This is the last article I can find on the Bettis group and their award to develop the site.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-people-river

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Just for the sake of clarity, this is strictly SmithGroup's vision on how to utilize the east riverfront, correct? There is absolutely no investment/money/dedicated development tied to these plans, but is just a guideline based on their vision and community input?

This also gets me thinking about the Uniroyal site. Does Jerome Bettis and his partners still have plans to develop the site? It's been all quiet on that front for some time now. I'm not sure if the city needs to send out another RFP or Bettis still owns the award to develop it. Remediation of those two parcels hasn't even been finalized yet, so I'd imagine it will still be several years before that section can even be considered for that development.

This is the last article I can find on the Bettis group and their award to develop the site.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-people-river
    It is going to be the vision of SOM [[Skidmore Owings Merrill) but last night was the first of many community based meetings to see what the community is looking for and pairing that with what their design and strategy team comes up with. There is a financial aspect to it where they will be looking at getting grants and subsidies, so it may have more teeth than just a study. The part that I can see being implemented is what their landscape architect comes up with when it comes to more green space in the area and how the spaces are experienced by residents and visitors.

The other parts from what I have gathered are much more of a guideline for buildings and transit in the area.

casscorridor - It is hard to take into account all the views if you take high rise construction off the board. I want to see a dense district with it's own character and I think high-rises can help that along. Waterfronts all across the world are dotted with high-rises because that is what people like near the water, Detroit should be no different in this regard. If it weren't for a history of industrial use where the current East Riverfront area is the high-rises you see east of Belle Isle would be closer to downtown.

About 18 months ago or so, the firm that developed the High Line in New York City was recruited to develop plans to utilize the Historic Fort Wayne site in southwest Detroit. I believe the idea was to develop a proposal and nothing more. Have there been any results thus far?

IMHO, I would prefer lower developments along the river and stepped taller buildings along Jefferson. This would maximize river views for residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    IMHO, I would prefer lower developments along the river and stepped taller buildings along Jefferson. This would maximize river views for residents.
    Agreed. I can see taller buildings like the Pasadena or Garden Court on Jefferson where let's say a car dealership is located or locate the high-rises on Woodbridge. Regarding the study and community input, all of that is well and good, but stuff like that should have been done years ago. Why in Detroit are we constantly studying shit? Jerome Bettis' group is supposed to do the Uniroyal site. The RiverWalk has been developed and is near completion. You have William Milliken State, Chene Park, and Mt. Elliot Park. How much more green space do you f-ing need?

Development of the east riverfront should be solely about residential and retail development. Get rid of the Chene Park amphitheater and make Chene Park a true park so that you can free up all of the land designated for Chene Park parking and develop residential and retail. Also, the Stroh River Place/Parke-Davis management needs to build a parking deck along Atwater to free up the land immediately west of their building. It's a damn shame to see prime riverfront property reserved for a huge parking lot. We here in Detroit and Michigan act like some things are so difficult to figure out. Development of the riverfront east or west is a no-brainer: residential and retail.
    Last edited by royce; April-17-16 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Development of the east riverfront should be solely about residential and retail development. Get rid of the Chene Park amphitheater and make Chene Park a true park so that you can free up all of the land designated for Chene Park parking and develop residential and retail. Also, the Stroh River Place/Parke-Davis management needs to build a parking deck along Atwater to free up the land immediately west of their building. It's a damn shame to see prime riverfront property reserved for a huge parking lot. We here in Detroit and Michigan act like some things are so difficult to figure out. Development of the riverfront east or west is a no-brainer: residential and retail.
    Royce, I know you have a fixation against the Chene Amphitheater, but as long as the city has more pressing needs to spend their money.... it's not going anywhere. Maybe that extra parking deck that you say that Parke Davis needs can be used at night for patrons of the Amphitheatre.... and residences can be added to the top of that one as well... thus killing 2 birds with one stone. And as to noise being a problem for apartment owners at night... I've not heard a single complaint from the residences atop the existing parking deck at River Place. Anyone that moves there will not be surprised to have a performance venue nearby.

The worst thing I can imagine is to move the amphitheatre to Hart Plaza... thus blocking the river view [[via the fabric sails) from the city's central waterfront park.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The worst thing I can imagine is to move the amphitheatre to Hart Plaza... thus blocking the river view [[via the fabric sails) from the city's central waterfront park.
    Seems like a easy fix: no fabric sails, or a retractable fabric sail.

Methinks Chene Park is staying put.... The Riverfront Conservancy already worked the area around the park into the design...
    https://cheneparkdetroit.com/chene-park-events/

The park was rebuilt from a 3000 seat amphitheater to a larger 6000 seat theatre in 1984, then in 1990 they added the canopy [[due to weather issues). It was voted one of the 100 best performance venues in the world. Interesting lineup of concerts this year... including Diana Ross.

If the they ripped it out and rebuilt it on Hart Plaza, they would likely have to take out the underground Ford Auditorium parking structure... not a good idea for festival goers and CAY employees.

Anyway... I'm not losing any sleep over it... it's not going to happen anytime soon. The city's scarce resources have ways to be spent in much more important ways than rebuilding an amphitheater for the 3rd time in 35 years.... such as the West Riverfront....
    Last edited by Gistok; April-18-16 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Royce, I know you have a fixation against the Chene Amphitheater, but as long as the city has more pressing needs to spend their money.... it's not going anywhere. Maybe that extra parking deck that you say that Parke Davis needs can be used at night for patrons of the Amphitheatre.... and residences can be added to the top of that one as well... thus killing 2 birds with one stone. And as to noise being a problem for apartment owners at night... I've not heard a single complaint from the residences atop the existing parking deck at River Place. Anyone that moves there will not be surprised to have a performance venue nearby.

Gistok, I don't think it's a fixation as much as it is the fact that the Chene Park parking takes up too much valuable real estate. A move to Hart Plaza would eliminate that problem. Your suggestion about Chene Park patrons using the parking deck of Stroh River Place [[if one was built), is a good solution to the problem of parking. I'll concede that the noise issue is one residents in the area will just have to accept. At least we can finally agree on something related to this issue.
    Last edited by royce; April-20-16 at 05:17 AM.

Royce, I no longer think that there are any plans to build an amphitheater in Hart Plaza, in fact the city set aside the West Riverfront [[former Freep plant location) as a concert destination for 20,000 or more/less....
    http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...usic/70805402/

That would make Chene Park suitable for 6,000 or less, larger groups up to 20,000 at Riverfront West, and the truly large gatherings at Hart Plaza.