Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old musical instrument shops.

In the 60's I used to hang out at a shop on Chalmers and Harper I believe called, "Artists'. This was about the time the "Super Beatle" amplifiers were coming into vogue. Loved the scene in Wayne's World where they enter a music shop and there's a sign that reads, "No Playing Stairway to Heaven!". We probably were in that shop [[Artists) two or three times a week.

There was another shop on the Eastside near there that we frequented but I can't remember the name. Does anyone remember this place.

On a side note, we had a friend that hung around us that never mentioned that he could play guitar. One time when we went there with him he picked up a Gibson hollow body and started playing "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. If you are not familiar with the song, it's not something you learn in a minute like "House of the Rising Sun". Needless to say, we were flabbergasted! When asked about his talent he just said, "I had to take music lessons when I was five years old and have been playing ever since". When asked why he never said anything he said, "You never asked". Go figure.

On the Eastside, I remember Fiddler's, Guitar and Drum Center, Hewitt's, Gus Zoppi, Massimino, Huber Breese, Guitars For Stars, Peterson, Hewitts. There were others, but the names escape me. We used to practice at a house on Wilshire near Gratiot and Conner. Played gigs all around the area near Harpo's. I don't remember a music store around there, but that was the early 80's.

On a more classical side, my wife bought a cello from Curt Wunderlich and Son on E. Warren. Old 2 story building with the store upstairs. This was in 1977. She was a music major in high school and attended summer camp at Interlochen. I told her if she bought the cello, I wanted a new motorcycle. We agreed and on a Saturday we went shopping. After the cello purchase we stopped at the old Jake's Harley-Davidson and I bought a new FXD Superglide. She got the better end of the deal. She still has the cello. The bike was a turd and I sold it after 1 year.