Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Recommendations for gravity furnace replacement

Like a lot of people in the city, my house has one of the old "octopus" gravity fed furnaces. It's working, but not in good shape, and nobody wants to work on them, so I'm planning on having it replaced as soon as the weather warms up...maybe get central air too while I'm at it, so I don't have to run two or three ACs during the summer.I know this is not going to be cheap; I'm going to need all new duct work, and the old ducts in the basement have asbestos that will need special handling during removal. On the plus side though, I won't eat $400 in gas every month during the winter.Does anyone have any recommendations for good contractors? I'd prefer to go with a company that has experience with this type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Like a lot of people in the city, my house has one of the old "octopus" gravity fed furnaces. It's working, but not in good shape, and nobody wants to work on them, so I'm planning on having it replaced as soon as the weather warms up...maybe get central air too while I'm at it, so I don't have to run two or three ACs during the summer.I know this is not going to be cheap; I'm going to need all new duct work, and the old ducts in the basement have asbestos that will need special handling during removal. On the plus side though, I won't eat $400 in gas every month during the winter.Does anyone have any recommendations for good contractors? I'd prefer to go with a company that has experience with this type of work.
    I'm not sure if they do furnace replacement specifically, but try Roulo Plumbing and Heating. They really know older Detroit plumbing and heating systems.

Even though it's been 27 yrs ago, I had one replaced in a previous home by Liberty Heating and Cooling. The sweltering summer of 88' convinced me to have it done. Don't know if they are still in business, but they installed a new furnace, ductwork, and central a/c. Cost me 3 grand back then, probably substantially more now depending on house size and inflation.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-11-16 at 07:43 AM.

Get an estimate from Flame Furnace. They might not be the cheapest, but if their integrity has remained the same since old Bob owned them years ago, you will get good job.

I live in a property having two huge octopi heat rise furnaces with all the piping and tubing. It took the contractor two days to 'beat' that stuff out -- flattening it down to pulp and hauling them away! Then came the centipedes and spiders for a month, apparently awaken from all the disassembly noise it seemed.

Instant 60% reduction of gas bill when replacement units were installed. There's little nostalgia IMO in old heating. Only a huge bill!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-10-16 at 05:15 PM.

I loved to hide in the octopus when I was a kid.

Our old house had a gravity feed furnace. Not the huge octopus but still gravity. Not energy efficient, but nice gentle heat. Biggest plus, when the power went off in the winter it was dark, but still warm.

Depending on the layout of your home another option for the AC would be a ductless AC or a mini split. I first encountered these mini split systems while traveling in Mexico. They are whisper quiet and supposedly very efficient. The ones I have seen are so quiet that the first time I used one I spent 5 minutes trying to figure why it would not turn on [[It was on)

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-V...s/N-5yc1vZc4m1

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Depending on the layout of your home another option for the AC would be a ductless AC or a mini split. I first encountered these mini split systems while traveling in Mexico. They are whisper quiet and supposedly very efficient. The ones I have seen are so quiet that the first time I used one I spent 5 minutes trying to figure why it would not turn on [[It was on)

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-V...s/N-5yc1vZc4m1
    Are these basically like a window-type A/C unit, but the compressor, cooler, and fan are in a box outside the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are these basically like a window-type A/C unit, but the compressor, cooler, and fan are in a box outside the house?

Here's a video from This Old House showing how one is installed. Basically like a mini central AC where the condenser and fan is outside and Freon lines run in between the two. I think they also have systems where multiple interior units can run on one outside condenser on a larger system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozaw9QhxkQU
    Last edited by Johnnny5; April-11-16 at 07:14 AM.

No. The compressor is outside, usually wall mounted. The cooler [[evaporator) is inside with the fan, also usually wall mounted. So its just like a window A/C except that its 'split' into an inside piece and outside piece that doesn't have to sit in the window.

But they usually have several other features. They can reverse, so they can both heat and cool [[heat pump). It is sometimes also possible to have multiple inside units connected to one outside unit. And of course they're great where space is valuable as they don't take up floor space like a furnace. This matters more where they don't have basements, or in upper floor apartments.

These units are very popular in mild climates. Not used so much where it gets really cold. They get less efficient as the outside temperature drops below 45 or so. That's why you don't see them much in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    No. The compressor is outside, usually wall mounted. The cooler [[evaporator) is inside with the fan, also usually wall mounted. So its just like a window A/C except that its 'split' into an inside piece and outside piece that doesn't have to sit in the window.

But they usually have several other features. They can reverse, so they can both heat and cool [[heat pump). It is sometimes also possible to have multiple inside units connected to one outside unit. And of course they're great where space is valuable as they don't take up floor space like a furnace. This matters more where they don't have basements, or in upper floor apartments.

These units are very popular in mild climates. Not used so much where it gets really cold. They get less efficient as the outside temperature drops below 45 or so. That's why you don't see them much in Detroit.
    Instead of wall mounted, is there one where the drive unit would stand alone, outside, on a concrete slab, kind of like a traditional "central air" type unit? [[but smaller) I like the idea of the additional heat pump feature too. It wouldn't be enough to actually heat the whole place, but could be supplemental when the temperature really drops.

Instead of wall mounted, is there one where the drive unit would stand alone, outside, on a concrete slab, kind of like a traditional "central air" type unit? [[but smaller) I like the idea of the additional heat pump feature too. It wouldn't be enough to actually heat the whole place, but could be supplemental when the temperature really drops.
    Another type is a high velocity A/C system like Spacepak or Unico. The compressor sits outside, the evaporator and fan are placed in the attic, and small tubes are run to each room. This works for houses with steam or hot water heat. We have a Spacepak system - one nice feature is our vents are in the ceiling, where the hot air is.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-ad...ld-house.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Get an estimate from Flame Furnace. They might not be the cheapest, but if their integrity has remained the same since old Bob owned them years ago, you will get good job.
    Flame Furnace? LMAO - Needed a new chimney liner and was told it would be $1,300.00 but only $200.00 if I bought a new furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Flame Furnace? LMAO - Needed a new chimney liner and was told it would be $1,300.00 but only $200.00 if I bought a new furnace.
    I also have had very unpleasant interactions with Flame Furnace. I cannot recommend them with a good conscience.

Yes. They can mount the exterior units on a pad instead of on a wall, although in my case they laid down some kind of composite pad rather than pouring cement. I have a Mitsubishi "Mr Slim" model which feeds three interior units from one exterior compressor. It is over 15 years old and it still works quite well without ever having been serviced or even recharged, although that was probably unwise and I am thinking of having them take a look at it this year. I do clean the air filters in the internal units every once in a while. I wouldn't call the system silent because the inside units do have audible fan noise, but there isn't any compressor noise inside the house, and it isn't all that noisy outside. They aren't nearly as loud as a window unit.

As Mr. Mouch pointed out, the heating mode gets less efficient as the outside temp goes down, and I wouldn't buy it as a primary heat source in Detroit, except perhaps if you had a really small house, but you can definitely use it if you need heat during spring and fall, and if something goes wrong with your normal heating system it does provide a backup. There is a problem with using it for both heating and cooling as you want the units high on the wall for cooling, but low on the wall for heating, so you have to prioritize one or the other.