Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post

Europeans seem healthy. Given so large a population isn't getting sick or having more cavities from drinking non-fluoridated water, why are we feeding fluoride and chlorine to our children?
    Fluoride aids in preventing tooth decay. The fact that Europeans [[generally) don't have fluoridated water does not mean the science hasn't been settled.

Of course you don't need fluoridated water if you get enough fluoride through other means, but it helps.

And groundwater naturally has fluoride, BTW.

Britain needs to add Fluoride to their water... if they haven't already... the Brits have some of the worst teeth among first world countries I've ever seen....

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Fluoride aids in preventing tooth decay. The fact that Europeans [[generally) don't have fluoridated water does not mean the science hasn't been settled.

Of course you don't need fluoridated water if you get enough fluoride through other means, but it helps.

And groundwater naturally has fluoride, BTW.
    I'm not a fanatic about fluoride. I boil my potatoes and green beans in tap water. I also brush with fluoride toothpaste. However, I've begun buying $.39/gal. water from the grocery store for my coffee and for boiling food that absorbs cooking water. I see no point in drinking fluoride and chloride when I can buy water without those medications for $.39/gal..

Agreeing with your second paragraph, if this is all about teeth, use fluoride toothpaste. The American Dental Association recommends that 1-2 year olds get the smallest dab of fluoridated toothpaste and that 3-6 year olds get no more than a pea sized amount of fluoride toothpaste on tooth brushes.

China bans fluoridated water. China and India both have too much fluoride in their ground water. Only 3% of continental Europeans drink fluoridated water. Germany and Sweden forbid it for health and libertarian [[of all things) reasons.

There are numerous ways to minimize tooth decay. The thing is,
    as compared to fluoridation, other methods require a base of
    education about caries and its causes, and a set of practices,
    whatever those are, to be implemented across ALL social strata,
    ALL ages - especially very young children, who are the least
    likely to have that base of education in place, and ALL income
    levels to be truly effective.

Many European countries do probably have the education and
    practices in place that help to minimize caries that don't
    involve fluoridating their water.

Free and readily available dental care for babies and elementary age children and a minimum of sugary foods in their diets would be the desired standard.

Fluoridation of water is actually a step down from that ideal but it
    is less expensive and it is universal for the entire community.

Probably better for the masses, but if you don't like it
    - just put a PUR water filter on your kitchen tap.
    Filters dozens of contaminants, a mineral core allows water to run over it and this attracts numerous materials to the internal workings. Coconut shells and carbon also work in tandem to further its capabilities,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2