Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Neglected Billboards of Metro Detroit

Related thread from 2014

As you may or may not know, billboards can too fall into abandonment and often as a result the material used for the advertisement itself can fall off sometimes revealing portions of older, years-old ads.

For example, have a look at this gem that is currently on Pennsylvania Road in Riverview.

Poster-sized billboards today are made of vinyl material, but up until about 15 years ago they were hand-painted on large paper, several such ads are now visible again, including a very prominent one at the top-right corner. Notice the empty space between the paper ads and the frame, that is actually due to the fact that when this up until about 2011 had a larger white frame held over from predecessor Gannett Outdoor the advertising space was slightly smaller.

Anyone know what that ad at the top right is for and when it ran?

And, as the title says, have you noticed any other billboards like this neglected in and around Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post

Anyone know what that ad at the top right is for and when it ran?
    The ad was for Smirnoff vodka. No clue when it ran.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    The ad was for Smirnoff vodka. No clue when it ran.
    Hmmmmm, Smirnoff hasn't posted in a while....

Great thread idea! I have a pic of one somewhere but don't feel like digging for it just now. I'll post it later and keep my eyes peeled for more.

so when these billboards are situated along highways, is the surrounding land owned by the state or private landowners? how are the rights arranged to erect these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hmmmmm, Smirnoff hasn't posted in a while....

That's what happens to billboards that fall off the wagon, I guess.

There was this presiding over Morang and Cadieux on the east side in October 2011.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4223...2!8i6656?hl=en

Ads I recognize from that pile include one for the Sam Bernstein firm [[this particular one ran in August 2009, viewable by clicking on the clock and selecting that month) plus ones for McDonald's and T-Mobile.