Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default LeDuff does it again

Solid, original reporting on DPS today is undercut by his latest stretch into heavy-handed commentary. http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...ts-left-to-rot

Detroit schools have a well-earned reputation as some of the worst in the nation. They are so bad, in fact, that closing them down might be considered something of an educational advancement.
    Look, my career started at The Daily Orange [Syracuse University] in the New Journalism era of nonfiction storytelling and POV, but that isn't how we did it in the news columns.

The News needs to slip a bridle on Charlie and yank the reins. It's called editing.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; August-13-09 at 10:45 AM.

gravitymachine Guest

that jackass probably hasn't even been in the warehouse since the bum-cicle story, and this was all cobbled together from bits and pieces that didn't make it into that story.

also, who wasn't aware that there have been unsecured DPS records in there for years?

cross post to h f d late to the party, oh wait, already did

oh yeah, easy on the bold caps there killer
    Last edited by gravitymachine; August-13-09 at 10:28 AM.

LeFluff is the modern day version of WeeGee without the camera.

"They are so bad, in fact, that closing them down might be considered something of an educational advancement".

While commentary, it is extremely accurate...except for the word "might"

I know all the denizens of Detroit Yes are masters at knowing all the minuta involving Detroit's abondoned buildings.

For us, it's old-news, for your average matron sipping her latte in BirmingDale Pointe, it might be a tad surprising to learn her old school records are being fondled by Manny Maroun and Dan Stamper. For years the News has suckled at the Maroun teat,... so for me, any bad PR for Maroun sounds sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ...your average matron sipping her latte in BirmingDale Pointe... being fondled by Manny Maroun and Dan Stamper... suckled at the Maroun teat... sounds sweet.
    Cut it out with the cheap titillation, would you?

Blarf Guest

I'm still wondering how or why Charlie Le[[[[[[ even has a job. Do people actually enjoy his writing and take it seriously?

lilpup Guest

not anymore

he wanted to do this stuff at the NY Times but they wouldn't let him

the News picked him and his once good name up probably for a song

i think detroit is lucky to have charlie leDuff. he's a shock to the system, a challenge to the status quo, a fearless raconteur who might not bat 1.000, but definitely puts the ball in play and keeps the rest of us on our toes. best of all, while he tries to break new ground, he's also a throw-back to the fedora wearing, cigar chomping hacks that made newspapers and journalism so much fun. frankly, far too many of the reporters you run into today are bloodless, passionless, professionalized zombies. i like a guy who sweats and farts and burps, which isn't to say the hot air charlie emits is all flatulence...

lilpup Guest

Elrick, I'd like to believe your profile but given today's join date and the thread topic...

No that's totally Elrick, he's a class act when it comes to giving others a pat on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Do people actually enjoy his writing and take it seriously?
    The answer to both questions is yes. As to why he has a job, the fact that this debate erupts every few weeks over passages as innocuous as the one highlighted today should explain one reason. People pay attention to him. He also writes stories that are enjoyable to read.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    He also writes stories that are enjoyable to read.
    Than he should stick to blogs and commentaries.

Misrepresenting facts to make a story sound better and cheesy cliches can't be that enjoyable. Than again, people have short attention spans, so who knows.

dexterferry Guest

nice to see you come around on leduff, realitycheck. you used to defend him here, or am I mistaken?

I think it's pathetic that leduff writes about such unoriginal topics. everything I've seen him write about has either been in the metrotimes or a local blog [[or in one case, the freep!). this is a big city and there are a lot of stories here. I wonder why he has such a hard time coming up with original material. it's been hashed and rehashed to death on this site, but the man's career has been marred by laziness, deception, and plagiarism. I'd like to see him write something for the news to make me believe he's capable of doing more than simply living up to his sullied reputation.

and yes, as always, his writing is more suited for an opinion/editorial piece than hard news. he wants to act like the hardboiled 1930s reporter [[complete with suspenders!) but he writes like a gonzo mitch albom.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    but he writes like a gonzo mitch albom.
    That's a brilliant description of him.

As a columnist, isn't he supposed to put his opinion in his stories? Seems to me that's what he's paid to do.

LodgeDodger Guest

nice to see you come around on leduff, realitycheck. you used to defend him here, or am I mistaken?

I think it's pathetic that leduff writes about such unoriginal topics. everything I've seen him write about has either been in the metrotimes or a local blog [[or in one case, the freep!). this is a big city and there are a lot of stories here. I wonder why he has such a hard time coming up with original material. it's been hashed and rehashed to death on this site, but the man's career has been marred by laziness, deception, and plagiarism. I'd like to see him write something for the news to make me believe he's capable of doing more than simply living up to his sullied reputation.

and yes, as always, his writing is more suited for an opinion/editorial piece than hard news. he wants to act like the hardboiled 1930s reporter [[complete with suspenders!) but he writes like a gonzo mitch albom.
    Mitch Albom is a hack. They should have dumped his ass years ago.

I'm not crazy about Charlie LeDuff, but he does have entertainment value.

[[Not intended to poke fun at the post/poster above)

Some folks must love torturing themselves and read every article LeDuff pens. They think he's a hack, a putz, an affirmative action cause celeb whose main purpose in life is to torture DYers with each keystroke.

Save yourself the .50 cents, or more likely the daily trip to the library to get a free read, and pass up the News. Really, do yourself a favor. Do your colon a favor. Your marriage will thank you, your wife will think you're a much happier guy, and best of all Jasmine, your blow-up doll will think you're Cary Grantish. Really. win,win, win.

After your mid-morning cuddle with Jasmine, a colon cleanse around 1, you can spend the rest of your busy schedule not reading the News. Perfect. Plenty of time to go urban spelunking, or kicking back at Cafe DeMongo's with a stylistly downscale PBR, proping your Chuck Taylors on the bar stool and planning what flavor HotPockets you'll be nuking for wifey after her double shift at Wendys.
    Last edited by gnome; August-13-09 at 09:41 PM. Reason: bad timing

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Some folks must love torturing themselves and read every article LeDuff pens. They think he's a hack, a putz, an affirmative action cause celeb whose main purpose in life is to torture DYers with each keystroke.

Save yourself the .50 cents, or more likely the daily trip to the library to get a free read, and pass up the News. Really, do yourself a favor. Do your colon a favor. Your marriage will thank you, your wife will think you're a much happier guy, and best of all Jasmine, your blow-up doll will think you're Cary Grantish. Really. win,win, win.

After your mid-morning cuddle with Jasmine, a colon cleanse around 1, you can spend the rest of your busy schedule not reading the News. Perfect. Plenty of time to go urban spelunking, or kicking back at Cafe DeMongo's with a stylistly downscale PBR, proping your Chuck Taylors on the bar stool and planning what flavor HotPockets you'll be nuking for wifey after her double shift at Wendys.
    ----------
    Bitte?

I was composing when you were posting, sorry LD. Didn't mean to insinuate your doll was named Jasmine, that was very rude of me.

dexterferry Guest

wow gnome, I had no idea you had such a good view of my daily routine from down there between charlie leduff's ass cheeks.

yep, dex, can see you cruising 'round in that fine, primer colored Cordoba, with the duct taped rear window and ashtray waterfalling your Daily 3 losers.

Tear. honest. Give my best to Jasmine; oh heywould you mind if I can start me crackin meself up at all dem funnies you making?

he writes like a gonzo mitch albom.
    Now THAT was amusing.

you used to defend him here, or am I mistaken?
    I questioned free-floating claims of possible fabrication or plagiarism, based on decade-old missteps elsewhere, Dex. And yes, I said I admired some of his florid, torrid style.

I draw the line at thumb-on-the-scale opinionating in what's ostensibly a news article. Call me a purist.

he should stick to blogs and commentaries.
    Indeed he should, Blarf. Good to meet another purist!

As a columnist, isn't he supposed to put his opinion in his stories?
    Neal Rubin and Laura Berman are columnists, Micth Albom wears both hats.

Charlie is a Metro Desk reporter with a column-like 'Travels With Charlie' showcase that allows freedom of style, length, topic selection and personality injection. But he doesn't write in the first person and it's jarring to hit flat-out commentary under his byline.

detroit is lucky to have charlie leDuff.
    Perhaps . . . but we're surely fortunate to have you, .M.L. Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by RealityCheck; August-14-09 at 05:46 AM.

"Perhaps . . . but we're surely fortunate to have you, .M.L. Welcome to the forum"

Pffft too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast