Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dan Gilbert companies violated federal labor laws with threatening, anti-union rules

Six Dan Gilbert companies violated the National Labor Relations Act for overly broad, threatening language in a “confidential” employee handbook that prevented the formation of unions and censored workers.

The National Labor Relations Board ruled that the “Big Book,” which was handed out to about 16,000 employees, contained strongly worded language that amounts to “unfair labor practices” in about 25 instances.

Judge David Goldman of the National Labor Relations Board ordered the companies Thursday to remove the “overly broad rules” in the handbook.

The companies in violation were Quicken Loans, One Reverse Mortgage, In-House Realty, Rock Connections, Title Source and Fathead.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2016/0...atening-rules/

From the same article:
    ... In one section of the “Big Book,” employees were barred from posting just about anything online.

“If it doesn’t belong on the front page of the New York Times, don’t put it online,” the handbook reads.

Employees also were prohibited from talking about their jobs, especially to the media.

The judge ordered the companies to notify employees that “we violated federal labor laws” and to notify them that they have the right to “form, join or assist a union”

The companies have removed the language from the handbooks....

Oh, this is precious. More than a backdoor confirmation of the culture of the organization which has taken over so much of our downtown.

How can this be, though, within a group which has garnered national praise for their workplace conditions...what boast did ol' Danno lay down when he showed up here a while ago?!

I had heard from a few sources that things weren't quite as rosy as the news outlets would admit...and suspected they would NEVER report anything shady about our city's benefactor unto savior.

Overheard a conversation at a downtown watering hole one night that really raised the hairs on my neck...when a newbie to the Quicken universe was being coached on how to work their weaker clientele by someone who was a few steps into the game already. It was disgusting, and we did all we could to avoid listening to them...but my gal and I kept catching the harsh reality being handed down by the pretty-boy boss to the new hire he obviously wanted to know more...um...thoroughly. He seemed to be trying to impress her with his deviousness in business. I guess he'd seen it work for his bosses.

Nah, if ol' Dan the Gambler and his gang of merry mortgage maniacs are that great to work for...there would be no need for these forms of silence dictates from the top. I wonder now if this pressure is really gone to keep their employees from talking about their jobs, will they smoke less now?

I'm laughing again at the memory of that response...which hinged upon the ancient insult poltroon that I searched on, and stumbled upon a Cleveland Cavaliers' forum post quite obviously from their megalomaniacal owner. Dude thought I was a disgruntled ex-employee, I wonder how many of those he's got to chase down and keep quiet. There is probably an entire division of his secret police force dedicated to such...when actually dealing with the true problems are likely much less expensive pursuits.

I always laugh at quicken loans workers. Just the energy and optimism. I was at vinsetta garage, you should have seen them. "I can't wait til our supervisor tom gets here" then supervisor arrives and he runs down the line of minions high fives and them yelling "whoop,whoop,whoop!" It's like being the wolf of Wallstreet brokers without the money,whores and blow. It's ran like some rouge scientology cult

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    It's like being the wolf of Wallstreet brokers without the money,whores and blow.
    Are you sure about that?

Here, here Gannon!

I've interviewed with QL a couple times and each time, I'm thinking, "Why am I wasting my time?" I've also interviewed for a larger competitor of QL and when I was there for the interview they had a 3 pm dance party. Seriously, if you need to have a 3 pm dance party to get motivated then you're working at the wrong place.

I'm still not sure what to make of Dan Gilbert. He's done great work with the buildings he bought, no doubt, but his business model as shown here, is rather abhorrent.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; April-09-16 at 08:59 AM.

Apropos of nothing: lifted from the careers page-
    Who We Are

We’re the #1 online lender in America, closing loans in all 50 states, and we’ve grown to be one of the largest full-service residential mortgage lenders in the country. Quicken Loans was named a J.D. Power and Associates 2010 – 2015 Customer Service Champion, one of only 40 companies named in the U.S. We were also ranked highest in the nation for customer satisfaction among mortgage servicers the last two years, the first years we were eligible. There’s a simple reason we’ve been so successful: We care about the people we work with.

If you’re tired of stuffy, bureaucratic workplaces, then you’ll be delighted to find something different. We strive to make a creative, fun and collaborative environment you simply won’t find anywhere else. Quicken Loans has been named #1 in ESSENCE Magazine’s first ever list of “Best Place to Work for African Americans”. We've been on Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT" list for 11 years running, hitting #1 the last three years, and we’ve been named to Fortune magazine’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For" for the past 13 years, ranking as high as #2.
    Computerworld, Fortune, Essence magazines wouldn't lie, would they?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Apropos of nothing: lifted from the careers page-

Computerworld, Fortune, Essence magazines wouldn't lie, would they?
    How much is your lie worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    A couple years ago I went on a couple dates with a girl that works there, she was renting in Oak Park with a roommate and working 11-12 hour days/nights. There is money to be made but not like 15 years ago. I declined to see her after a couple times, something wasn't right upstairs and the hot to crazy ratio wasn't in my favor. If you were doing whores and blow one of your co-workers would rat you out, I bet.

A couple years ago I went on a couple dates with a girl that works there, she was renting in Oak Park with a roommate and working 11-12 hour days/nights. There is money to be made but not like 15 years ago. I declined to see her after a couple times, something wasn't right upstairs and the hot to crazy ratio wasn't in my favor. If you were doing whores and blow one of your co-workers would rat you out, I bet.
    Not if you work for a company where everyone in your clique participates. I have personal knowledge of certain "bonuses" being distributed if quotas were met. It's not everyone and not the norm, though. The numbers make middle management looks good so they look the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2016/0...atening-rules/

Six Dan Gilbert companies violated the National Labor Relations Act for overly broad, threatening language in a “confidential” employee handbook that prevented the formation of unions and censored workers.

The National Labor Relations Board ruled that the “Big Book,” which was handed out to about 16,000 employees, contained strongly worded language that amounts to “unfair labor practices” in about 25 instances.

Judge David Goldman of the National Labor Relations Board ordered the companies Thursday to remove the “overly broad rules” in the handbook.

The companies in violation were Quicken Loans, One Reverse Mortgage, In-House Realty, Rock Connections, Title Source and Fathead.
    Without passing on the efficacy of the handbook provisions, the NLRB is NOT the final word in labor relations. It is often packed with pro-union officials, and their opinions are often appealed to and overturned by federal courts.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    How much is your lie worth?

That's a rather Cavalier way of looking at it... OOps! I'm sorry for my poor choice of words...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm still not sure what to make of Dan Gilbert. He's done great work with the buildings he bought, no doubt, but his business model as shown here, is rather abhorrent.
    The self-made rich are ruthless and crooked. You don't get rich by your own doing if you're not.

... In one section of the “Big Book,” employees were barred from posting just about anything online.

“If it doesn’t belong on the front page of the New York Times, don’t put it online,” the handbook reads.

Employees also were prohibited from talking about their jobs, especially to the media.
    That's called 'discretion' and many companies have similar policies. People post too much on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's called 'discretion' and many companies have similar policies. People post too much on the web.
    Every company I've worked for has had similar warnings about posting on the internet, and prohibitions against talking to the media, with penalties up to getting fired. I suppose it depends on the 'strongly worded language'; "talk to a reporter, lose a finger" would be over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Every company I've worked for has had similar warnings about posting on the internet, and prohibitions against talking to the media, with penalties up to getting fired. I suppose it depends on the 'strongly worded language'; "talk to a reporter, lose a finger" would be over the top.
    So this flies in the face of "Free Speech"

I don't work for any of his companies, but my company also has a very specifically-worded policy on all social media/internet posting that boils down to "if it isn't complimentary toward the company, it's grounds for termination and/or possible litigation."

I am also aware of at least 1 instance of my employer filing suit against the originator of a post made on a public message board for our industry. It's been going through the courts for a couple of years now and the person is no longer working at my company [[unsure what the specific reason for that is).

There is no free speech regarding a privately-held company on the internet.
    Last edited by michmina; April-10-16 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    ... There is no free speech regarding a privately-held company on the internet.
    ... unless it involves that privately-held company bribing politicians with thinly-disguised, unlimited "campaign contributions." According to the Supremely Corrupt Court, that's nothing but free speech.

What isn't wrong with this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    "Employees also were prohibited from talking about their jobs, especially to the media."
    Of course. That's only proper. It is not the job of most employees to talk to the press. Why? Because the press isn't exactly known for being fair. Gilbert and all employers have professional employees whose job is to talk to the press.

There are whistleblowing laws that protect certain kinds of disclosures to the media, but I know little about them. That is fair. So is demanding that your employees not talk to the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So this flies in the face of "Free Speech"
    No really. If you exercise your right to free speech to the detriment of the company, the company can exercise its right to not employ you.

They seem to have a high turnover in certain areas so the sycophants can't get too comfortable!

I always laugh at quicken loans workers. Just the energy and optimism. I was at vinsetta garage, you should have seen them. "I can't wait til our supervisor tom gets here" then supervisor arrives and he runs down the line of minions high fives and them yelling "whoop,whoop,whoop!" It's like being the wolf of Wallstreet brokers without the money,whores and blow. It's ran like some rouge scientology cult
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-11-16 at 01:47 AM.

Yeah, I don't see how the items listed in their book are in violation of labor laws. As stated above, many companies have similar policies, in order to prevent some knuckle-headed employee from talking to the press and saying something that can really undermine the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    They seem to have a high turnover in certain areas so the sycophants can't get too comfortable!

I've heard folks that love it, especially the money hungry ones at the beginning. How great it is to spend $100 on a pair of Religion jeans or whatever they are.

I've heard folks that hate it. High turnover, very-unsympathetic towards employees, high-pressure.

guess it depends on how driven you are to sell mortgages.

the richest one in the grave wins.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Without passing on the efficacy of the handbook provisions, the NLRB is NOT the final word in labor relations. It is often packed with pro-union officials, and their opinions are often appealed to and overturned by federal courts.
    Completely correct. NLRB decisions are frequently overturned in court. The disgruntled few should be ignored. It doesn't matter if anyone on this board likes or approves of DG's hiring and employment policies. If his employees do- and obviously, they are not enslaved and are free to leave- then it must be a good place to work, at least for them.

I know people who work for a few of Gilbert's companies and most are very happy. I know a mortgage banker that has been there for over 10 years and has no plans of leaving anytime soon. Not sure if I could walk away from his commission checks, either [[he makes over 300K/year). The high turn over is mostly in banking. I think everyone goes in dreaming of six figures and then they realize how hard they have to work.
    When I've run into Gilbert's employees, it is the mortgage bankers that are always annoying. I know that is a huge blanket statement, but they are always super loud and talking about their jobs, so they are not hard to find.