Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Opening Day Revelry

i enjoy opening day as much as any other, however on behalf of your fellow man please clean up after yourselves

Name:  20419_898577260198637_4768446736019486109_n.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  60.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    i enjoy opening day as much as any other, however on behalf of your fellow man please clean up after yourselves

Name:  20419_898577260198637_4768446736019486109_n.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  60.7 KB
    Then they go right on back home to Oakland County, where they will look at you sideways for even spitting on the street....

The streets will be running gold with urine......the windswept plains of Brush Park littered with bottles, condoms, and throw up......what majesty opening day holds...

Don't forget about the drunks who pass out where ever they land. A friend who works in the Fox Theater building said last year drunks were passed out in the revolving doors there.

This is all why, after decades of going to opening day, we finally gave up. I now go with my much-diminished family every year to the game after opening day, when we can have a fun springtime outing, and watch the actual damn ballgame, without the threat of having some drunken loudmouth jerk vomit all over us.

This year we get the bonus of having that game be on a nice [[well, OK, likely pretty damn cold) Saturday afternoon.

It just seems that all the fun things we used to do have turned into a 3 ring circus, from St. Patrick's Day to Opening Day. I'm glad the bars and restaurants make good those days, but

I always sense a lot of virtue signaling in these type of threads that come around every year. Every city in the US has Opening Day festivities, not just Detroit, along with other innumerable celebrations throughout the year. Only Detroit is caught unorganized without proper cleaning crews, trash bins, porta-potties, etc.

The scene over in Brush Park was vastly improved this year.

Alfred Street between John R and Brush is fenced off by Bedrock. Work was going on at the Scott today. Numerous city-owned lots were barricaded to prevent illegal parking.

Downtown Detroit Partnership, Midtown Detroit Inc. and Brush Up Brush Park partnered to bring in trash bins and crews to cut down on Opening Day litter.

State Police, DPD, DMC Police, Ilitch security and Bedrock security were all out patrolling. Brush Park residents were out as eyes on the street. Police busted people breaking into abandoned homes. I saw at least one bogus parking guard get arrested by DPD. Illegally-parked cars were towed.

Tiger fans had a good time, in spite of the weather, and things were very orderly from what I saw in Brush Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Don't forget about the drunks who pass out where ever they land. A friend who works in the Fox Theater building said last year drunks were passed out in the revolving doors there.
    Oh sure, I'll bet Mr. I's private security there just let them stay and sleep it off.

So, I guess this new partnership owes all of these people reimbursement of their towing fees and all other associated costs for getting their cars back, then.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/o...ed-tigers-fans

All those eyes keeping guard over the area, this illegal lot should never have happened. If the city were only doing its job...some will say having the law against illegal parking is enough, that is absolute bullshit. All the cops on the beat around the stadium, and none of them can keep a lid on this crap?!

Of course not, and it gets worse. No way any of the baseball enthusiasts should've been punished with a $390 CASH towing fee. Struggling to find a way to justify that high of a fee...there must be some unusual 'advertising and marketing' expenses in the towing company's accounting.

In the end we saw many people who did not get their vehicle out of the tow yard because they couldn’t find the insurance and registration paperwork, some couldn’t come up with the cash, others borrowed their cars from family and couldn’t get there in time. For those scammed Tigers fans the meter continues running all weekend so they’re going to pay more than $390 to get their vehicles back. It’s a hard lesson to learn. It’s also a dangerous and expensive position for tourists to find themselves stranded.

Not to mention all of the Public Relations monies wasted as these folks share their stories...never to return to the city ever again. There is NO amount of advertising that will get these folks to consider Detroit fondly ever again. No way to spin this.

Fuck having paperwork, as long as I have my keys...I should be able to get my car out of any impound lot. My fucking paperwork is in my glove compartment, IN my vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So, I guess this new partnership owes all of these people reimbursement of their towing fees and all other associated costs for getting their cars back, then.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/o...ed-tigers-fans

All those eyes keeping guard over the area, this illegal lot should never have happened. If the city were only doing its job...some will say having the law against illegal parking is enough, that is absolute bullshit. All the cops on the beat around the stadium, and none of them can keep a lid on this crap?!

Of course not, and it gets worse. No way any of the baseball enthusiasts should've been punished with a $390 CASH towing fee. Struggling to find a way to justify that high of a fee...there must be some unusual 'advertising and marketing' expenses in the towing company's accounting.
    I have to agree with some of the comments in the article, I would investigate Gosh $ Sons first. I would also investigate DPD assigned to patrol the area. I find it hard to believe this went on unquestioned. All this went down way too smoothly.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-09-16 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    What a pack of shitheads.

Absolutely positively, terrible, but how about the other 30% [[my percentage might be off) of the city that has been burned down, vandalized, stripped over the last several decades?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Absolutely positively, terrible, but how about the other 30% [[my percentage might be off) of the city that has been burned down, vandalized, stripped over the last several decades?
    Nice try, but no guitar. Your reply has nothing to do with a band of shitheads that decided to break into a historical house, trash it out, then torch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Nice try, but no guitar. Your reply has nothing to do with a band of shitheads that decided to break into a historical house, trash it out, then torch it.
    To me arsonists are arsonists, vandals are vandals and shitheads are shitheads. You're definitely entitled to your opinion though.

That was two years ago
    In April 2014, drunken fans set fire to a large, 103-year-old Victorian house known for its pioneering role in cancer treatment in the 1940s.
    Apparently some people broke in again this year, but were stopped before any real damage was done
    Last edited by jcole; April-09-16 at 03:18 PM.

^^^^I liked that arrests and chase off were made this year. Having vigilant neighbors can be good in many ways.

I was also going to mention something about trash at the old Tiger's Stadium field [[but certainly not in the new thread regarding a body found there recently) around early fall of last year. Coming back from doing some work at St. Pat's, I drove by there on the way back to Dearborn, and saw an ungodly pile-up of stuff right near the gates with lots of bottles lying about.

Being the natural-born Michigander, I knew a bottle is more than a bottle, so I turned around. It was remnants from a UAW meeting [[stacks of flyers and reading literature). There were plates, cups, Bar-B-Que sauce stained bones wrapped in foil, boxes filled with spent charcoal and ash, and tons of pop and beer cans [[mostly Big K from Kroger). All of it was stacked and spilled over in a big sloppy mess, and some of it blowing about. Having no bags, I did my best to gather up debris and put it in what few boxes and bags were there. All the time, I helped myself to the cans and bottles [[had to evade a lot of bees congregating around there, as well)-which came up to over $8 to put in my gas tank.

Eventually, a guy with the conservation crew working to preserve that field came by and chatted with me. He confirmed it was a UAW cook-out and they just left this huge mess. I would expect better from them. I still have the conservation guy's card, and I just may need to help out there more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I always sense a lot of virtue signaling in these type of threads that come around every year. Every city in the US has Opening Day festivities, not just Detroit, along with other innumerable celebrations throughout the year. Only Detroit is caught unorganized without proper cleaning crews, trash bins, porta-potties, etc.
    I think what's interesting is that Detroit's Opening Day "celebration" seems to be one of a kind. Almost everyone I've talked to from different parts of the country who now live/work in metro Detroit state that opening day here is 10 times the amount of partying that goes on in other baseball cities on their opening day.

I've been to every opening day game since 1995 when I moved back to Michigan. It's definitely become much more of a spectacle in the past decade or so. In the 90s it was easy to get tickets and basically nothing went on aside from the game. I remember in around 96 or 97 tailgating with some friends in a half empty parking lot across from the stadium and we were the only tailgaters. I think after 2006 when the Tigers suddenly became good again, combined with people actually wanting to be in downtown, it really blew up. At least the cold weather this year toned it down a notch.