Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Pure Michigan" campaign, state image damaged by Flint. A pivot toward Detroit?

A lot of the Pure Michigan campaign was based around expansive outdoorsie beauty shots of our lakes and forests. Now that the water poisoning of Flint is a major international story this approach has a hollow ring. And it is hitting home big time at the business level.

This week's Crain's has a cover story about the hand-wringing going on and how the campaign can be salvaged and deflected until the Flint mess fades. Among the approaches is to pivot to other assets, like the positive news around Detroit and its tourist opportunities.

What would be your solution? Me, I would urge the state to go full force into environmental protection and non-polluting sustainable energy projects. Stop selling Pure Michigan and start being Pure Michigan and let the world know that.

Under Gov. Rick Snyder, the state adopted the Pure Michigan slogan for use in its business marketing. So if the brand is tarnished for the long term, it affects corporate recruitment and other efforts.

Economic development professionals say any damage done by the Flint crisis won't be permanent. But in the meantime, they added, the state and its individual regions need to coalesce around a consistent message that Michigan remains open to business and tourists.

"It is too early to tell how much impact the Flint water crisis will have on the state's image. Certainly with our brand being Pure Michigan, it is more of an image problem," said Doug Rothwell, president and CEO of Business Leaders for Michigan, the state's business roundtable.

"We worked so hard to have Detroit not be a negative issue," Rothwell said. "Now, Flint puts a damper on it."

I'm sorry... but I don't see it? People who go to Mackinac Island or Traverse City won't be affected by what went wrong in Flint. I doubt that Love Canal ever stopped people from visiting New York state... outside of Buffalo that is...

Not a chance. The Pure Michigan campaign does a great job representing the tourism draws of the north and west in the state and while the Flint situation certainly is awful people can absolutely make the distinction between Flint and the other more appealing parts of the state. That family from Indiana or Illinois is still going to vacation all along Lake Michigan but realistically they were never going to make Flint or Detroit a part of those vacation plans. The secret is out about West Michigan as a tourism destination and unfortunately Flint and Southeastern Michigan probably have become even less appealing due to recent events.

Default Detroit Public Schools, Wanton Crime, and Now, Finally, 48217 Hits the Newsstands

Detroit and Pure Michigan have nothing in common

Name:  _Newsweek__air_pollution_cover_story___D_4_1132775_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  66.5 KB

You folks are talking like people who live here, are hyper-aware of distinctions that outsiders probably don't know, and are insulated from the messages received in the outside world. Just in the last 2 weeks I have been at international conferences in Tokyo and Chicago. In both cases, when I told people I was from Michigan, I was questioned with great concern by both foreigners and other Americans about the situation in Flint, and how a modern state could "let that happen".

Flint has become, by far, the #1 news story about Michigan around the country and around the world, and has been a very heavily covered story in Europe and East Asia. Images of Michigan as a beautiful, natural paradise full of pristine woodlands and lakes, as part of a government-supported sales campaign, now inevitably clash with even more widely broadcast images of children in a devastated Michigan city poisoned by the water provided by their government. No amount of denial, either here or in Lansing, is going to change that perception in the next year or two at least, if not for a much longer time. It may not overly affect the perception of people who live here or have already vacationed up north, but it absolutely has hurt the image of our entire state with millions of others.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-31-16 at 12:31 PM.

Carrying on from Eastside Al's point. Here is an experience from one state shill. There is no escaping this PR disaster.
    While at a restaurant in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, "the waiter made a joke about the table water and referenced Flint," Winter said. "The first thing I did was stand up and support our state and all the things we're doing right," Winter said.
    The Pure Michigan campaign this spring will release a TV commercial focusing on Detroit's post-bankruptcy momentum. It has been described as more visually edgy than most Pure Michigan ads, including recent spots depicting Michigan's craft beer industry and farm-to-table restaurants.

"recent spots depicting Michigan's craft beer industry and farm-to-table restaurants."

Well, THAT ought to do it, the Crap beer industry and farm-to-table-restaurants, we're saved! If they throw in a few shots of Eastern Mark-Up, we'll have to secure our borders. I'm glad they did away with the movie industry incentives and chose beer, restaurants, and the Marathon Refinery expansion.

I think part of the state's contribution to improving Flint should be to advertise to the world that Flint has solvent, functioning government and a business friendly environment. But they can't advertise that till it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    You folks are talking like people who live here, are hyper-aware of distinctions that outsiders probably don't know, and are insulated from the messages received in the outside world. Just in the last 2 weeks I have been at international conferences in Tokyo and Chicago. In both cases, when I told people I was from Michigan, I was questioned with great concern by both foreigners and other Americans about the situation in Flint, and how a modern state could "let that happen".

Flint has become, by far, the #1 news story about Michigan around the country and around the world, and has been a very heavily covered story in Europe and East Asia. Images of Michigan as a beautiful, natural paradise full of pristine woodlands and lakes, as part of a government-supported sales campaign, now inevitably clash with even more widely broadcast images of children in a devastated Michigan city poisoned by the water provided by their government. No amount of denial, either here or in Lansing, is going to change that perception in the next year or two at least, if not for a much longer time. It may not overly affect the perception of people who live here or have already vacationed up north, but it absolutely has hurt the image of our entire state with millions of others.
    Flint absolutely has hurt the state's rep but you're talking like Michigan is some potentially huge international tourist destination. The people who vacation in our state are typically from the surrounding areas of our region or they have some sort of tie to the state and they know the difference between Flint/Detroit and the friggin beach on Lake Michigan. I'll concede that there is a respectable international draw because of our proximity to Chicago but it's by no means overwhelming.
    Last edited by TTime; March-31-16 at 03:58 PM.

Beyond the obvious harm to some equivalent "Pure Flint" campaign, I see some but not much damage to "Pure Michigan." I think even the most naive tourist knows that Michigan is much larger than just Flint.

There might be some legitimate concern that systemic policy precursors leading up to the Flint crisis might also lead to similar crises in other Michigan [[or nationwide?) cities. But at this point I doubt any other officials would risk getting burned as badly as those involved in Flint. They've all been sensitized to the political consequences.

Outside of Flint itself, might there be some legitimate concern downriver from Flint about the water being harmful in any way? It flows to Bay City, right?
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-31-16 at 09:09 PM.

I realize this is very anecdotal, but last weekend my brother-in-law was discussing with his buddies whether to go to Mich. or their usual Northern Ontario spot for a golf trip later this spring. The concern was about the Canadian dollar. Water quality never came up in the conversation.

The Flint water crisis is real -- and arguably much more of a crisis than the other 100 'lead in water' problems around the country. The disproportionate, politically-motivated magnification however has certainly harmed Michigan's image. Snyder as the worst governor in the nation? Crazy, but that kind of simplification is what our media is made of.

I've also been of the opinion that the whole 'income inequality' political war being fought by Sanders, Warren, et. al. is the proximate cause of Donald Trump. When a political party creates buzz-word populism, the unintended consequences are great. President Trump because the left found a Pikety-book of absurd conclusions that they thought supported their party.

^^Come on Wesley, we've been talking regularly about income inequality since the bank bailouts.

I've been talking about it since the 70s. LOL!

Let me get this straight; the Pure Michigan campaign, which has nothing to do with Flint or Detroit, will for some reason, switch to a Detroit-focused campaign, because Flint had crappy water? Huh?

I got it!!!

Let's put *ick Synder's last campaign footage in the ads.

You know, the one where he's in a wetsuit coming out of the water?

Then run a caption:

I don't always go to Flint.

But when I do, I wear this wetsuit, snorkle and goggles for protection.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Why not have a little humor to bright a real soild crap sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    ^^Come on Wesley, we've been talking regularly about income inequality since the bank bailouts.
    Talking doesn't mean it makes any sense. Income inequality is the biggest pile of horse poo since global warming.

State legislature: fix the infrastructure problems. "Pure Michigan" won't mean much if the roads are constantly fragmented, including in all the tony tourist-trap regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Let me get this straight; the Pure Michigan campaign, which has nothing to do with Flint or Detroit, will for some reason, switch to a Detroit-focused campaign, because Flint had crappy water? Huh?
    Actually the campaign does include Flint and Detroit. It encompasses the entire state and is locked into the business recruitment side as well as the broader tourist attraction side. It's not just sand dunes and water skiers. It also includes urban areas and products that are 'purely' Michigan.

Pure Michigan needs to quietly remove all mention of water and lakes from this year's campaign. Time to sell something else about Michigan until things blow over. A pivot to cities with their sport, entertainment and cultural attractions will keep the tourist dollars coming until then.

The Crain's article I cited at the top has a good side article about the Genesee County Chamber of Commerce's challenges. Imagine trying to recruit a business to Flint right now. Imagine trying to convince some corporate employee that it's okay to relocate in Flint.

After Flint is fixed a new campaign along the lines "Flint: the most lead-free water in the world" written in classic comeback story style is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Actually the campaign does include Flint and Detroit. It encompasses the entire state and is locked into the business recruitment side as well as the broader tourist attraction side. It's not just sand dunes and water skiers. It also includes urban areas and products that are 'purely' Michigan.

Pure Michigan needs to quietly remove all mention of water and lakes from this year's campaign. Time to sell something else about Michigan until things blow over. A pivot to cities with their sport, entertainment and cultural attractions will keep the tourist dollars coming until then.

The Crain's article I cited at the top has a good side article about the Genesee County Chamber of Commerce's challenges. Imagine trying to recruit a business to Flint right now. Imagine trying to convince some corporate employee that it's okay to relocate in Flint.

After Flint is fixed a new campaign along the lines "Flint: the most lead-free water in the world" written in classic comeback story style is in order.
    Pure Michigan definitely and rightfully did little spots on Detroit and Flint but if you remove water as a selling point for Michigan you're basically left with Pure Kansas but with way more crime and less steak.

What I don't like about the Pure Michigan ads are that they focus on one town at a time all the time with some poetic statement meant to romanticize the place. I would like to see an ad with more lively music with hundreds of scenes all throughout the state in one commercial.

Camera shots of the Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks, Soo Locks, Silver Lake Dunes, Mackinac Island, Traverse City, Marquette, Lighthouses, Grand Haven, Holland, etc. Not some damn dairy farm talking about Michigan cows.

Default Fresh off the Presses

This is the condensed 30 second video titled "Story of Detroit; there is also a 60 second video titled "Soul".

Last edited by SDCC; April-11-16 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Pure Michigan definitely and rightfully did little spots on Detroit and Flint but if you remove water as a selling point for Michigan you're basically left with Pure Kansas but with way more crime and less steak.
    Sorry.... that's pure BS....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...otation_419297

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sorry but that's my opinion. They can try to make Michigan a tourist destination without focusing on water but it's very unlikely to work and if they do it will be a mistake. You may love it but that doesn't mean others do. Do you really think large numbers of people are going to burn vacation days to visit Detroit? Do you want to burn vacation days to visit Kansas City or Cleveland....or St Louis? Yeah me neither. Take off your homer glasses and really look around....our Lakes [[mainly north and west) are a world class draw but unfortunately cities like Detroit are simply below average and won't be a significant tourist draw.
    Last edited by TTime; April-11-16 at 09:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast