Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Teenagers Downtown - 3/30/2016

Anybody know what's going on downtown tonight? There is a group of around 100 teenagers walking around causing trouble. This has been happening for the past two hours. DPD, state police and private security are all trying to get it under control.

I heard this is due to spring break? Can anyone confirm?

About 7 cars full of cops were grouped in front of the fed building around 7ish, most huddled around a car hood looking at something and talking on the phone. 3 were parked kitty corner in front of the transit center.

HAHAHAHA. Nothing says "we weren't doing anything wrong" like scattering in 100 different directions when the cops roll up.

Default It's like what they do in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    About 7 cars full of cops were grouped in front of the fed building around 7ish, most huddled around a car hood looking at something and talking on the phone. 3 were parked kitty corner in front of the transit center.
    Teens started doing that shvt in Chicago about 2 years ago. They would go on a wild mob downtown. Meetup on Social Media and cause chaos and destruction downtown.
    Social media is to blame. They have nothing else to do.
    100 is excessive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2988693.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Teens started doing that shvt in Chicago about 2 years ago. They would go on a wild mob downtown. Meetup on Social Media and cause chaos and destruction downtown.
    Social media is to blame. They have nothing else to do.
    100 is excessive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2988693.html

Social Media is starting to cause a lot of the World's I'll's now. It's becoming a blessing and a curse.

Easy fix! Shut off their Obama phones!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    They have nothing else to do.
    100 is excessive.
    That's weird, when I was that age I had tons of better things to do.

Very funny......!

But no self-respecting, technology savvy teen would be caught dead with a government minute-phone. It's Iphone and Android all the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Easy fix! Shut off their Obama phones!
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-31-16 at 10:54 AM.

They'll soon know that 'downtown' Detroit is not having this... back to the neighborhoods you go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    HAHAHAHA. Nothing says "we weren't doing anything wrong" like scattering in 100 different directions when the cops roll up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    They'll soon know that 'downtown' Detroit is not having this... back to the neighborhoods you go!!!
    Oh Hell No! Enjoy Midtown! Stop for a double-latte with whipped cream and sprinkles, maybe a Crap beer or two, do some shopping @ Ho! Foods, no need to hurry back. Take a week or two, maybe 3 or 4. Just remember, we miss you! [[somewhat)

That didn't quite look like 100 teenagers to me...

25 at best

They were in front of the Rec Cen as well, with police cars following them
    there was a fight right outside the building and the cops were arresting some of them as well

I also heard about a video tapped beating on the riverwalk not sure if they were related though ..so I could be starting a rumor there

There were groups of kids all over downtown. Probably no more than 20-30 in one spot, but there probably a hundred or more in total. Very strange experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    There were groups of kids all over downtown. Probably no more than 20-30 in one spot, but there probably a hundred or more in total. Very strange experience.

I don't mean this to sound facetious, but a couple of blocks from where I live, if there aren't a bunch of thirty kids hanging outside bars and restaurants, let alone a hundred on certain city blocks every night, that would be considered weird. The legal drinking age is eighteen, students from nearby universities for the most part, just kids on the sidewalks loitering. The cops are easy on them, and it is just part of being young. I think alarm bells go off for no good reason most of the time when youths congregate. We need to give a bit of breathing space and responsibility to those who will take up the challenge.

Is Ann Arbor not pretty happening on its main streets on weeknights? Is there not a double standard of haves and have nots? We suspect these kids to be straight out ghetto kids not college material, therefore up to no good. Maybe that is the case because society somehow expects and provokes a pattern of behavior based on expectations, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I don't mean this to sound facetious, but a couple of blocks from where I live, if there aren't a bunch of thirty kids hanging outside bars and restaurants, let alone a hundred on certain city blocks every night, that would be considered weird. The legal drinking age is eighteen, students from nearby universities for the most part, just kids on the sidewalks loitering. The cops are easy on them, and it is just part of being young. I think alarm bells go off for no good reason most of the time when youths congregate. We need to give a bit of breathing space and responsibility to those who will take up the challenge.

Is Ann Arbor not pretty happening on its main streets on weeknights? Is there not a double standard of haves and have nots? We suspect these kids to be straight out ghetto kids not college material, therefore up to no good. Maybe that is the case because society somehow expects and provokes a pattern of behavior based on expectations, just saying.

I participated in my fair share of public loitering in my youth. That said, I don't remember ever running at the sight of a police cruiser unless I was doing something illegal.

Perhaps they should have checkpoints allowing access in and out of Midtown and Downtown at night, and a curfew put in place. Nobody under 18 without a parental guardian.

In addition, it would be cool to have police on horseback galloping up and down 3rd, 2nd, Cass, Woodward, John R, Brush, and Oakland. In the alternative, two police cars on each of these 7 streets cruising up and down constantly with a total of 14 cars.

Also, police should be directing traffic at the corner of Grand Blvd & Woodward, Warren and Woodward, Mack and Woodward, and Jefferson and Woodward.

Lastly, security guards at all the stops on the new Q-line, and on the train. If budget allows, police on buses too. These measures will lessen crime in Midtown for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    Perhaps they should have checkpoints allowing access in and out of Midtown and Downtown at night, and a curfew put in place. Nobody under 18 without a parental guardian.

In addition, it would be cool to have police on horseback galloping up and down 3rd, 2nd, Cass, Woodward, John R, Brush, and Oakland. In the alternative, two police cars on each of these 7 streets cruising up and down constantly with a total of 14 cars.

Also, police should be directing traffic at the corner of Grand Blvd & Woodward, Warren and Woodward, Mack and Woodward, and Jefferson and Woodward.

Lastly, security guards at all the stops on the new Q-line, and on the train. If budget allows, police on buses too. These measures will lessen crime in Midtown for sure.
    [[Snerk)-Maybe we should start rating citizens as well and where they can dwell.http://babylonfalling.tumblr.com/pos...our-protection -or at least, governors on all public toilet paper dispensers to keep you from taking more than three squares at a time [[and you have to wait two minutes before it resets).

Cyber-Banging...

Interesting is the concept of lawful assembly as opposed to unlawful assembly. Proactive and reactive responses by LEO. Municipal codes?

Are you related to wanderer34?

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    If it weren't otherwise a ghost town, it would not be noticeable that there were 100 teenagers in downtown Detroit.

"Police on horseback, galloping up and down" the fine streets of "Midtown" cracks this old veteran of the Cass Corridor up. Perhaps the "Big Four" could be brought back, too!
    Last edited by Bobl; April-02-16 at 06:53 PM.

Snerk x 100 back at you! What specifically did I say that was so objectionable? Having a curfew for kids under the age of 18 wandering around downtown unaccompanied by a parent?

Or objecting to more police presence in Midtown? Or was it security at the new Light Rail Stops, or on buses?

What exactly do you object to?

In terms of rating where citizens dwell, have you ever heard of a sex offender registry? Also, in terms of security on modes of transportation or metro stops, have you ever been to metro stations in Washington DC? You see police there. Also, TSA is hiring in case you're interested.

In the alternative, two police cars on each of these 7 streets cruising up and down constantly with a total of 14 cars.
    I don't know about now, but I can remember times when there weren't 14 cars on duty in the whole of two, maybe three precincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't know about now, but I can remember times when there weren't 14 cars on duty in the whole of two, maybe three precincts.
    In the spirit of them decoy owls they put on ledges and cornices to scare pigeons away, how about à bunch of lifesize robocops on all streetcorners. Make them pewter colored so they are more neutral. One arm pointing a taser and the torso revolving 360 degrees at the waistline, and sensors to home in on the bad guys...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast