Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Recall Snyder Petitions at front of Royal Oak Post Office

Finally got the opportunity to sign Recall Snyder petition yesterday in front of the Royal Oak Post Office. They were doing a very brisk business.

I drove by Perfecting Church this past Sunday to sign.

Anyone know of any locations near downtown or midtown?

Glad to see people exercising their 'voting' rights, but just don't fool yourself that this is anything but politics. Snyder was hardly alone in this disaster. Nor was this disaster the only disaster for Flint, Detroit, or Michigan.

It probably feels good to blame your enemy, but its not very insightful or effective. Tossing out all of the oh-so well-meaning liberals that have been destroying Detroit with their misguided love would make more sense.

All right! Let's recalled that Nerd!!

Brian Calley for Governor!

39 years old, tea party doesn't support him and he didn't take flint off of high quality water and hook them up to crap. Good enough for me for a couple years. This state needs a leader, not two and half years of attempted legacy damage control.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Glad to see people exercising their 'voting' rights, but just don't fool yourself that this is anything but politics. Snyder was hardly alone in this disaster. Nor was this disaster the only disaster for Flint, Detroit, or Michigan.

It probably feels good to blame your enemy, but its not very insightful or effective. Tossing out all of the oh-so well-meaning liberals that have been destroying Detroit with their misguided love would make more sense.
    Tell that stuff to the kids growing up in Flint damaged by the resulting incompetence and apathy of the one tough nerd and his appointed minions. This is what happens when you try to run a state like a corporation...BP comes to mind. Friend, you're whistling past the graveyard.

Again, I ask, would we have shown Kwame any mercy [[after all, he was "worse than Hitler"-right?)? I know how much folks on DY see him as Public Enemy #1; so, apply the same consistency to Snyder.

I am not Snyder's biggest fan, nor a big critic. He's not particularly conservative [[the legislature is significantly to his right and drive the legislative agenda). He won the nomination in 2010 because there were IIRC 5 conservatives vs the "pragmatic problem solver" Snyder. I was a Pete Hoekstra man. But I do have to say that clearly, as hinted at by Wes above, there are tons of people to blame in this mess. Any one of numerous local, state, or federal officials could have blown the warning whistle, and did not. If there are merited criminal charges for anyone, charge them. Beyond that, I think we should look for the cause. The ultimate cause of the problem is that the city of Flint became so broke, ungovernable and ungoverned that they couldn't really afford essential city services like, oh, say, clean water. Local [[temporarily powerless) officials approved of the switch. Local and federal officials [[all Democrats) had substantial knowledge of the water quality issues for at least months, if not more than a year, and never sounded any alarms. DEQ and EM office people didn't help even when they knew. Democrats in Flint were on such bad terms with Democrats in Detroit that keeping Flint at least temporarily on Detroit was not really even discussed. Lesson from Flint [[and from Detroit): Keep one party in unchecked control forever and you get crappy, irresponsible, quite often corrupt government. The Flint water crisis is actually just Detroit's public lighting crisis, except people don't drink light.

Recall Snyder if you want, i don't care. But things like this will happen forever in places like Flint until they have competent local government. Recalling Snyder will not fix that.

G-DOT. I don't recall anyone saying Kwame Kilpatrick was worse than Hitler. Only Mao and Stalin [[and perhaps Rachel Carson*) can vie for that title. But KK willfully abused his power for the twin purposes of stealing/extorting money and rewarding personal and political allies. No honest criticism of Snyder can say that. He may have proven incompetent or negligent, and less-than-forthcoming [[which, potentially, can be criminal) about it. But there was no apparent malicious intent. I don't think anyone actually thinks Gov Snyder awoke one morning and said, "How will I poison the kids of Flint today?". Kwame Kilpatrick DID have the daily intent to use his office for personal financial gain, and he would go on to break very many explicit laws in the process.

*Probably not fair. The millions of third world deaths attributable to her book were in no way intended, unlike the 3 despots.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    Tell that stuff to the kids growing up in Flint damaged by the resulting incompetence and apathy of the one tough nerd and his appointed minions. This is what happens when you try to run a state like a corporation...BP comes to mind. Friend, you're whistling past the graveyard.
    Hook, line, and sinker.

Real leaders would find a way to tell their followers the truth. That Flint's problems were the result of years and years of failed policies. OK, do you really think all was just fine in Flint -- except for the engagement of one Rick Snyder? Sure.

Pinning Flint's problems on a single Republican is simplistic and frankly insulting to Flint residents. It is using them as pawns in a political game. All is fair in politics, but using Flint residents in your political game is not fair.

And also the facebook page for the latest updates on petition signing locations...

https://www.facebook.com/stopsnyder/

Hook, line, and sinker.
    Pinning Flint's problems on a single Republican is simplistic and frankly insulting to Flint residents. It is using them as pawns in a political game. All is fair in politics, but using Flint residents in your political game is not fair.
    I only pin one of Flint's problems on Synder - the contaminated water. That's all. I know there are myriad other issues in Flint, and I don't blame Slick Rick for any of them. Cool?

And, I don't think Flint residents would be insulted by my dislike of Snyder over the way he handled the situation. I didn't like Snyder before all of this, but that was all just politics. This situation is NOT politics, it's human lives. If it were Democrat or an Independent or whatever, it would be the same in my book. It's just a completely avoidable disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    I only pin one of Flint's problems on Synder - the contaminated water. That's all. I know there are myriad other issues in Flint, and I don't blame Slick Rick for any of them. Cool?

And, I don't think Flint residents would be insulted by my dislike of Snyder over the way he handled the situation. I didn't like Snyder before all of this, but that was all just politics. This situation is NOT politics, it's human lives. If it were Democrat or an Independent or whatever, it would be the same in my book. It's just a completely avoidable disaster.
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post

Wesley will never understand this. His nose is so far up Snyder's ass and for some reason he only smells roses. As someone whose house is essentially worthless due to this I do not give a fuck what his political affiliation is he has got to go. That isn't mentioning the 11 dead and countless children who will be affected by this for the rest of their lives.

I feel like the switch to Flint water is not a reason to recall Snyder, as he did not make the decision. [[Yes, he appointed the idiot that did, but the primary fault does not lie with him.) The fact that he, and all of his top advisers/officials, IGNORED the problem for nearly two YEARS is why I feel he should be recalled. As was said during the hearing in DC, he had to know about it unless he was in a coma. I am from the Flint area, and news stations were running reports about the water quality within days of the switch. That shows terrible leadership. In addition, the fact that he is using tax payer money to fight his legal battles that he caused is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    I feel like the switch to Flint water is not a reason to recall Snyder, as he did not make the decision. [[Yes, he appointed the idiot that did, but the primary fault does not lie with him.)
    It has been revealed by a member of EMU's board of regents that the failed EAA was a direct marching order from Snyder and Roy Roberts had absolutely no idea about his plan for a state-run district [[as revealed in a recent Metro Times article).

Now there's a good chance none of his goons will throw him under the bus and reveal this much, and there's also good chance his actual input wasn't included in any emails, but just from a common sense standpoint and based on what we know about his leadership style, is it really far fetched to assume that Snyder did not ultimately make the decision?

Would you make a decision as important as switching a municipal water source without confirming if your boss [[who can fire you at-will) was also on board [[in this case, the appointed idiot's boss was Snyder)?
    Last edited by 313WX; March-30-16 at 09:18 PM.

I have a question regarding petitions: If a person signs a petition twice, is the signature of that person not counted at all toward the number needed - or just the second signature not counted? It just seemed to me that with so many recall petitions, one could get confused and sign the same one at another location without realizing it. And if they only signed one, afraid that if they signed another, their name might get "thrown out", that the signature pool would get diluted.
    As for my stance on Snyder, I really don't blame him at all for the Flint mess for this reason: If the people that were in charge of Flints water system had done their jobs properly [[From the EPA, to the DEQ, to the Health Dept, to Flint water treatment plant workers), none of this would've happened. In other words, even with the controversial EFM law in place, there are people that failed to do their jobs correctly.

I support Snyder. He's a good man who has done a good job managing the state. Its too bad this Flint thing happened on his watch, but he's said he is going to be accountable for it and seems to be working very hard, genuinely, to correct it.

I think many of you folks are being too kind & gentle to Snyder. He has the ultimate responsibility of what his staff do. His staff messed up. He has to take the hit for not ensuring they performed properly. If one of my staff screwed something up, you can be sure that my superiors would be coming after me because I didn't keep tabs on them.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Again, I ask, would we have shown Kwame any mercy [[after all, he was "worse than Hitler"-right?)? I know how much folks on DY see him as Public Enemy #1; so, apply the same consistency to Snyder.

Exactly.....noone was screaming to let Kwame finish his term to fix things....

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I think many of you folks are being too kind & gentle to Snyder. He has the ultimate responsibility of what his staff do. His staff messed up. He has to take the hit for not ensuring they performed properly. If one of my staff screwed something up, you can be sure that my superiors would be coming after me because I didn't keep tabs on them.
    I don't think that not favoring a recall is the equivalent of giving him a pass. When military brass did not pass along critical information to staff in Hawaii and the Philippines that Japan had broken off diplomatic ties with the US and their Navy was observing radio silence [[both tell tales signs of an imminent attack), most people did not favor impeachment of President Roosevelt when Pearl Harbor and the Philippines were attacked. Directly negligent staff were removed or demoted, and everyone else learned a hard lesson. Same thing should happen here. I don't think the water situation warrants recall. But if most people do, so be it. Remember, though, that the much maligned emergency management process did return solvent, functioning government to Detroit.

Snyder was hardly alone in this disaster.
    since we cant recall snyder's administration [[because they were not elected) nor can we recall MDEQ or MDHHS because none of those people were elected either [[all appointed by snyder or state employees).

the only real true thing we can do is recall snyder and get someone in there who will fire all of the absolute garbage that fills our state departments that had a hand in the poisoning of 100,000 people.

remember its your pal snyder that said lets not place blame. well a large chunk of michigan wants to place the blame on MDEQ and MDHHS and yet only one or two people were fired.
    Last edited by compn; March-31-16 at 03:35 PM.

so theres a couple reasons people want to recall snyder

1. some think snyder holds some blame for flint water poisoning.

2. snyder either ignored or was not aware of the poisoning. garbage or ignorant, your choice.

3. snyder was proxy-running the state of michigan with a bunch of unelected garbage that ignored the poisoning. some of his proxies like brad wurfel actively lied to the people. wonder if dennis muchmore can sleep at night? my point is we elected snyder to run the state, not a bunch of unelected, unaccountable hacks.

4. snyder has not fixed MDEQ or MDHHS garbage employees in the 7+ months [[oct-april) since he learned of the poisoning.

and for the record i voted for schauer.
    Last edited by compn; March-31-16 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast