Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 3-Year Old Shot & Killed - Where is the outrage?

It seems like every year there are multiple [[preventable) homicides involving innocent children and we have become desensitized to it. Children deserve better than this.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...side/82317472/

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    It seems like every year there are multiple [[preventable) homicides involving innocent children and we have become desensitized to it. Children deserve better than this.

People deserve better, no matter their age, sex, race, religion, etc.

The media tends to only cover the controversial. If there were protests of this violence, it would not be controversial and would not stand as much of a chance of getting media attention as BLM protesting the death of a criminal at the hands of a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    People deserve better, no matter their age, sex, race, religion, etc.
    By critical comparison, would you take a bullet for a child? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0143a9b488a1bIt goes with out saying that it is sadder when it happens to the young.

I was surprised to hear about a shooting in Cambridge recently. That thing was rather unheard of [[unless Asian students committed suicide, and that was usually hushed up) when I was there; this all being in a region that prides itself of gun control [[with a huge gun fatality tally board right there at Fenwayhttp://archive.boston.com/news/local...r_new_message/-it came down three years later-by the way, their Fox News affiliate is way worse than anything you would have here in Detroit).
    Last edited by G-DDT; March-28-16 at 08:32 PM.

OK 48307, I took a look at your post and decided to make some changes, there were some glaring errors in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    The media tends to only cover the controversial such as unarmed civilians of specific groups of people getting killed by cops who were in no danger whatsoever but somehow always seem to be in fear of their lives. If there were protests of this violence, it would be overwhelming since murders happen everyday somewhere in the country and in some large cities multiple times a day and would not make sense as BLM protesting the death of a unarmed individual who deserved his or her constitutional right to have a speedy trial by a jury of his or her peers, at the hands of a cop who considers himself above the law and hides behind the blue wall, since everyday perpetrators tend to actually get justice served while said cops get off scott free.
    There you I fixed your post for you. I know this is what you really meant to say.

You're welcome.
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; March-28-16 at 10:49 PM.

Where is Rev. Sharpton or Jesse Jackson? I see no outrage when blacks kill blacks, just a double standard that stands out like a sore thumb. If it had been a cop, specifically a white cop that accidentally shot the child, Detroit would be a city rioting right now.

The three year old and family had been targeted by dudes in their hoodies over some conflicts. Common sense means nothing to those murderers, only survival.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Where is Rev. Sharpton or Jesse Jackson? I see no outrage when blacks kill blacks, just a double standard that stands out like a sore thumb. If it had been a cop, specifically a white cop that accidentally shot the child, Detroit would be a city rioting right now.
    So much for Black Lives Matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    OK 48307, I took a look at your post and decided to make some changes, there were some glaring errors in it.

There you I fixed your post for you. I know this is what you really meant to say.

You're welcome.
    Media attention of BLM tends to be about folks that are... questionable... For example, Michael Brown. That's why protesting Michael Brown's death gets media attention. People like me figure, since he just got done robbing a store and walking down the middle of the street like a thug, that the police officer's story is probably true, and that Michael Brown isn't worth burning your city down for.

If BLM is protesting the senseless killings that end the lives of way more black people than what the police do [[such as this 3 year old girl), then it's not being covered in the media. And that's my point, is that I don't necessarily believe that groups like BLM aren't protesting the senseless violence, but that the media is only covering the controversial cases.

My point is even if both the questionable and the unquestionable are protested, we're only going to hear about the Michael Brown's of the world.

Default Funny Ive heard about several of them....

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Media attention of BLM tends to be about folks that are... questionable... For example, Michael Brown. That's why protesting Michael Brown's death gets media attention. People like me figure, since he just got done robbing a store and walking down the middle of the street like a thug, that the police officer's story is probably true, and that Michael Brown isn't worth burning your city down for.

If BLM is protesting the senseless killings that end the lives of way more black people than what the police do [[such as this 3 year old girl), then it's not being covered in the media. And that's my point, is that I don't necessarily believe that groups like BLM aren't protesting the senseless violence, but that the media is only covering the controversial cases.

My point is even if both the questionable and the unquestionable are protested, we're only going to hear about the Michael Brown's of the world.

Such as John Crawford, Tamir Rice, Renishia McBride, Jordan Davis, Trayvon Martin, Oscar Davis....were they somehow "allegedly" commiting crimes too [[even though Michael Brown according to the store he supposedly robbed wasnt the one on the security camera)?

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post

Don't know what to say. If you're going to raise a family, Detroit isn't the right place now. I guess you should move to another safer location if you're not in midtown or downtown. Even in Chicago, as great as they say it is, when the kids have their own kids they move.

NRA influence trumps any concerns urban residents may raise about gun violence.
    There was a walk for peace near Gesu Church on the day before this incident. http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...arch/25277219/

this is long ago the new normal for urban America. But even suburban America wasn't really interested in addressing gun violence in the aftermath of Sandy Hook.
    Guns are deified in our society. it's old news. Too bad that babies have to be "sacrificed", but any number of systemic issues refuse to be addressed by the mainstream culture. the political will is not and likely never will be there, certainly not as long as it doesn't happen to "you".

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Such as John Crawford, Tamir Rice, Renishia McBride, Jordan Davis, Trayvon Martin, Oscar Davis....were they somehow "allegedly" commiting crimes too [[even though Michael Brown according to the store he supposedly robbed wasnt the one on the security camera)?
    I have varying opinions about those cases.

Trayvon Martin was controversial because many people felt the killing was justified. I do not share that opinion, but because so many people did the protests got media coverage.

I don't recall media attention being paid to Renisha McBride protests. Some people defended the killing. Murdering an unarmed woman through a locked door became less controversial when some of the detail came out and just more clear-cut murder. Ms. McBride was undoubtedly committing crimes, but that gave ZERO justification for her murder.

Going back to my point just about everyone can agree that shooting a 3 year old is a horrible thing. If people were protesting that, it wouldn't be controversial, and it will more than likely not get media coverage. You can't just say, "well I never saw a protest\rally in the news", because the news won't cover the non-controversial.

It's exactly like how we're spending all this time talking about the more controversial cases, instead of talking about this three year old. There's not much to say about the three year old, it's outrageous, I hate it, and I think those responsible should never see the light of day ever again. Not many folks are going to disagree with that.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/c...easter-morning

DETROIT - Community leaders and members of the clergy are holding a city wide peace rally Thursday morning in response to the killing of 3-year-old A'Naiya Montgomery on Easter morning.
    The rally will be held at 10 a.m. at the House of Help Community Center located at 23700 Clarita on the city's west side.