Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why should I-94 W point to Chicago instead of Kalamazoo-Battle Creek?

I saw this article from a few years back. What do you all think?

Why should signs in Detroit point to Chicago instead of Ann Arbor or Kalamazoo-Battle Creek? Granted Chicago is a lager metropolis, but Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo-Battle Creek are also metropolitan areas. I have traveled extensively throughout the country, and road signs within a state point to other metropolises within its state.

Do any signs in Chicago point to Detroit for I-94 East? Call me crazy, but I think the reference to Chicago two states over is a subconscious bias by Michigan Transportation officials who place its supremacy over Detroit and Michigan. Ok, go off on me now...lol.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/opinion...-of-ann-arbor/

There are signs on I-94 in Chicago that point to Wisconsin, even though there are other cities in Illinois that you'll run into before Wisconsin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by royce; March-28-16 at 12:21 AM.

There aren't as strict control destination standards in Illinois like Michigan has. Even though design and construction is done to federal standards, the Feds leave it to the states to decide what is logical. Instead of "Detroit" the only outbound control destinations on southbound 94 [[that point to interstates elsewhere) are Memphis, Indiana and Western suburbs. It would have been better "Detroit, Memphis, Aurora"

It's not consistent here and in one occasion not necessarily accurate. For example, inbound signs show the next exit to local lanes is 22nd street. But there's no such thing as 22nd st in Chicago. It was logical to use a fictitious street name as a standpoint instead of Cermak because an unfamiliar driver would count down the numbered streets driving into the city and be more aware of when that exit would appear.

On a side note my most favorite interstate sign in Chicago was "Do not attempt to exit at Morgan St." Well ok then I won't. It's since been removed for construction.
    Last edited by wolverine; March-28-16 at 12:37 AM.

There are signs to NYC on the Ohio Turnpike just outside of Cleveland.

I don't think there are national naming rules for highway signs.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    There aren't as strict control destination standards in Illinois like Michigan has. Even though design and construction is done to federal standards, the Feds leave it to the states to decide what is logical. Instead of "Detroit" the only outbound control destinations on southbound 94 [[that point to interstates elsewhere) are Memphis, Indiana and Western suburbs. It would have been better "Detroit, Memphis, Aurora"
    Incidentially enough, heading towards Detroit out of Chicago on I-94 at first the signs will lead you to Indiana, but once you get into Indiana [[but still within the Chicago metro area) it becomes Detroit.

In a somewhat related case, Ohio Turnpike signs in Toledo also point you to Chicago even though there are significant cities between Toledo and Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

And then none of the signs use NYC as the control city once you cross over into Pennsylvania along I-80. It doesn't become the control city again until New Jersey.

I think the person asks a good question about the signs at the airport. It's much more likely that someone entering I-94 from Metro Airport is heading to Ann Arbor than to Chicago.
    Last edited by iheartthed; March-28-16 at 08:51 AM.

I think its not there only for people going to Chicago
    Some people cant comprehend north south east west, they know towards Chicago

will take me home.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    Why should signs in Detroit point to Chicago instead of Ann Arbor or Kalamazoo-Battle Creek? Granted Chicago is a lager metropolis, but Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo-Battle Creek are also metropolitan areas. I have traveled extensively throughout the country, and road signs within a state point to other metropolises within its state.
    Chicago's big and K-BC [[75,000) and Ann Arbor [[130,000) aren't.

Have a look at this highway signage on Interstate 90 in Seattle. The signs pointing to I-5 show two out-of-state cities [[Portland one way and Vancouver the other), despite cities within Washington like Tacoma [[200,000), Everett [[103,000), and Bellingham [[114,000) being on the way.
    Last edited by Király; March-28-16 at 11:24 AM.

I would also mention that Detroit has a major connection to transportation of goods nationally and internationally. Much of it flows through Detroit, to Chicago then on to the rest of the Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Yep - I've seen that sign to NYC many times. It made me wonder why there isn't a sign on I-80 in NJ pointing to Detroit. As I recall driving from NYC to Detroit you don't see a sign for Detroit until you get on or near I-75 northbound. But that was a long time ago. Maybe it's different now.

I-75 South from Detroit should read Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    And then none of the signs use NYC as the control city once you cross over into Pennsylvania along I-80. It doesn't become the control city again until New Jersey.
    Instead, Pennsylvania road signs inexplicably give names of obscure little towns in northern PA like Hazleton, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc. as destination landmarks. Which is just bizarrely confusing to anyone not from that rather sparsely populated part of PA. Since most travelers along that road are headed to either points east, towards NYC, or points west, towards Cleveland, Chicago, etc., and would be much more likely to know what direction those places are in, it really makes no sense at all to sign things that way.

Out here [[Washington......no, the other one....) all roads, or at least I-90, lead to either Seattle or Spokane. I'm not sure what the theory is, except the thought that if you're going to Moses Lake you have some idea that heading to Spokane from Seattle would get you going in the right direction. I wonder if that holds true on I-94.

BTW, how does the signage read on I-75? Does it direct you to Mackinaw or Flint?

When heading north on I-75, as soon as you see a sign for Mackinac Bridge,
    you are officially Up North.

The vegetation and air quality changes at about the time you see the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Atlanta...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I could've sworn that I saw the sign from the Lodge to 75 South say, "Miami". But when I went back at a later date it was Toledo, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Incidentally enough, heading towards Detroit out of Chicago on I-94 at first the signs will lead you to Indiana, but once you get into Indiana [[but still within the Chicago metro area) it becomes Detroit....
    This suggests an interesting trivia question: "What's the most remote sign indicating the direction and/or distance to Detroit?"

I recall seeing photos of directional signposts erected during World War II in Europe or the Pacific theater pointing in all directions toward wherever homesick soldiers hoped to return. Detroit might have appeared on some of those signs. Or maybe I'm thinking of the signpost in M*A*S*H.

There are also some iconic signposts in Antarctica. Maybe Detroit is mentioned there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This suggests an interesting trivia question: "What's the most remote sign indicating the direction and/or distance to Detroit?"

I recall seeing photos of directional signposts erected during World War II in Europe or the Pacific theater pointing in all directions toward wherever homesick soldiers hoped to return. Detroit might have appeared on some of those signs. Or maybe I'm thinking of the signpost in M*A*S*H.

There are also some iconic signposts in Antarctica. Maybe Detroit is mentioned there.
    There is a sign in a Manhattan bar frequented by U-M alums that points towards Ann Arbor [[and gives an inaccurate distance of 612 miles).

What is odd is that all the signs on I-94 between I-75 and 23 point to Ann Arbor. But all signs between on I-94 between I-275 and I-75 point to Chicago. I'm all in favor of stamping Chicago completely out of any reference in Detroit. When you cross the bridge or tunnel from Canada, Detroit should not be directing people where Chicago is. Instead, the sign should say:
    Ann Arbor
    Battle Creek - Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo's CSA is 528,126 people. It's not like it's some small town. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather see Detroit pointing to Kalamazoo and/or Ann Arbor instead of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I could've sworn that I saw the sign from the Lodge to 75 South say, "Miami". But when I went back at a later date it was Toledo, I think.
    Perhaps you might've confused "Miami" for "Monroe"-yes, that was actually the name given out for I-75 south for many years Downriver up until about 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    What is odd is that all the signs on I-94 between I-75 and 23 point to Ann Arbor. But all signs between on I-94 between I-275 and I-75 point to Chicago. I'm all in favor of stamping Chicago completely out of any reference in Detroit. When you cross the bridge or tunnel from Canada, Detroit should not be directing people where Chicago is. Instead, the sign should say:
    Ann Arbor
    Battle Creek - Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo's CSA is 528,126 people. It's not like it's some small town. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather see Detroit pointing to Kalamazoo and/or Ann Arbor instead of Chicago.
    The purpose of highway signs is to help travelers, not to be part of a Chamber of Commerce campaign.

Should the signs in western K-Zoo say Benton Harbor? And what should the signs in BH say? And of course in Detroit should it not be Ann Arbor?

Confusion, I say. MDOT has it right. Keep it simple. One single place that is OUTSIDE of Michigan -- so everywhere IN Michigan you can provide a single point of reference for travelers.

Leave the boosterism for Pure [[Leaded) Michigan campaign.

I-94 is an national east/west interstate. The largest city west of Detroit is Chicago so it is only natural that this would be more convenient for interstate drivers that might be unfamiliar with our burgs. Local traffic is expected to know better.

I support signs that point to the next major city. In Detroit to Chicago, in Chicago to Detroit. The real problem here, as always, is with Chicago.

The purpose of highway signs is to help travelers, not to be part of a Chamber of Commerce campaign.

I agree, and?

Should the signs in western K-Zoo say Benton Harbor? No, they should say Chicago as they currently do.

And what should the signs in BH say? IF west, Chicago as they currently do. If East, Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Ann Arbor.

And of course in Detroit should it not be Ann Arbor? Yes, it should. Besides, from I-275 to M23, it does say Ann Arbor. So why doesn't it do so in Detroit? As we speak no uniformity.

Confusion, I say. MDOT has it right. Keep it simple. One single place that is OUTSIDE of Michigan -- so everywhere IN Michigan you can provide a single point of reference for travelers. Directing people in the direction of the next metropolitan area makes more sense to me, then a city two states away. Again, Kalamazoo's area is over 500,000 people. What is the minimum amount of people to warrant reference on a highway?
    Leave the boosterism for Pure [[Leaded) Michigan campaign. They are getting better.
    Last edited by Newdetroit; March-30-16 at 10:17 AM.

Mileage signs on a newly renovated stretch of Ohio's I-75 [[Bowling Green, Findlay area). I thought this was pretty cool.

Name:  IMG_0423.JPG
Views: 1187
Size:  255.1 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast