Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default QLINE Announced As Official Name Of Detroit’s Modern Streetcar

Quicken Loans and M-1 RAIL today announced that QLINE [[pronounced Q-Line) has been selected as the official name of Detroit’s modern streetcar line, currently under construction and set to begin operations in early 2017. The project also unveiled the official QLINE logo, which features a stylized “Q” in a design that symbolizes the connectivity accomplished through the rail line.

http://www.quickenloans.com/press-room/2016/03/24/qline-announced-as-official-name-of-detroits-modern-streetcar

Name:  qline.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Quicken Loans and M-1 RAIL today announced that QLINE [[pronounced Q-Line) has been selected as the official name of Detroit’s modern streetcar line, currently under construction and set to begin operations in early 2017. The project also unveiled the official QLINE logo, which features a stylized “Q” in a design that symbolizes the connectivity accomplished through the rail line.

http://www.quickenloans.com/press-room/2016/03/24/qline-announced-as-official-name-of-detroits-modern-streetcar

I like it. It has a 'snappiness' to it. Easy to pronounce and remember, etc.

Names like QLine, M-1, etc are all easy on the brain...

Does the diagonal line look like Grand River or Gratiot?

I liked the comment about 'igniting 3B' in development.

Of course, Ilitch and QLINE will claim the same dollars [[1B+ by Ilitches) but still anyway to get to 3 [[billion) is good.

RTA funding can't come soon enough...

I really like name, the graphic is great,,,catchy name.....progressive. Yet effective,..

Am so grateful. They didnt call it the "jack". Line, intune with Gilberts focus group buddies obsession with that crazy and useless title. That would have been too weird.
    so "Q" line it is. Nice fit for a new Detroit.

Reminds me of Avenue Q, which I associate with gay culture, so it makes me think we will have quite the flamboyant train line.

That said, its not terrible, which is all I was hoping for!

kudos. hopefully this all will be completed on schedule without disaster.

I like this a lot. It sounds "professional" compared to so many potential cheesier names [["rocketrail"... ugh), and would fit right in with any future lines/extensions/BRT lines as long as they stick with the letter labels. You can see it as part of a system.

The logo is neat too. A little busy but I enjoy the fact that it emphasizes Detroit's off-kilter street grid.

Sounds pretty good but I was hoping for D Line so at West Grand Blvd. they could announce "this the end of D Line."

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Sounds pretty good but I was hoping for D Line so at West Grand Blvd. they could announce "this the end of D Line."
    But by the same token, if you get disgusted with the service, you can always say "_ _ _ _ Q"

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

That logo. They managed to get what looks like a goalie falling over himself to save net. I like it.

I actually liked the name M-1 Rail, but this works for me, too. When I lived in NYC, I often rode the Q train, so it is like coming full circle.

And Cannuck, you are correct. Now all I can see is the goalie. Incidentally, the very lucky goalie is not wearing a cup, which brings me to 1953's thoughts.

I was really looking forward to reading all the disdain for the name on this forum. You guys really let me down...

I like the name too. It's not overly-commercialized.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I was really looking forward to reading all the disdain for the name on this forum. You guys really let me down...

The name is pretty good, it's just the decisions regarding the actual street car that are stupid. No dedicated lane, the frequency of stops and the distance it spans are ridiculous. It's unfortunate that there is a stigma attached to riding the bus in this town because buses would've been a great thing to go with until there is a large enough population to warrant an elevated or dedicated rail that actually goes somewhere and moves large residential populations.

Q just brings to my mind the Star Trek "Q" guy-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_[[Star_Trek). So okay, I'll go ride Q's Line ...

Side note on buses-- I ride them occasionally, though usually SMART [[which is really okay) when I do. Had occasion to use DDOT's Woodward and Jefferson lines three times in the past couple weeks. Ugh. The difference between them and SMART is cringe-worthy. Kind of dirty, kind of smelly, sagging seats [[the up-front folding ones) and worst of all clueless, impatient drivers who'll pull out jerkily before new passengers have a change to seat or otherwise stable themselves. It's a wonder they're not frequently sued for injuries to riders thrown around inside the bus, or maybe they are. SMART drivers navigate the exact same traffic, but do so smoothly, securely, comfortably.

Is the Northern end of the 3.3 mile stretch the Q tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    *High-five*

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Bravo! I will be using this. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

Ohhh Okaaaay...

Corporatism/Fascism is alive and well.

M1 would have been a fine name. New lines could have followed the same pattern:

M1 Woodward
    M2 Jefferson
    M3 Gratiot-Michigan

etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    M1 would have been a fine name. New lines could have followed the same pattern:

M1 Woodward
    M2 Jefferson
    M3 Gratiot-Michigan

etc etc
    I'm sure you know that it was named after Woodward's designation of Michigan Highway 1, M-1. M2 is not a Michigan highway designation. But I understand what you're saying. So I hope when the RTA/DDOT takes over streetcar service, the name is branded to a numerical label, like most cities, and some corporate gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I hope when the RTA/DDOT takes over streetcar service, the name is branded to a numerical label, like most cities, and some corporate gimmick.
    Most other cities are actually able to pay for it...and not need corporate donations to get such a project started in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm sure you know that it was named after Woodward's designation of Michigan Highway 1, M-1. M2 is not a Michigan highway designation. But I understand what you're saying. So I hope when the RTA/DDOT takes over streetcar service, the name is branded to a numerical label, like most cities, and some corporate gimmick.
    yeah I know it's named for the highway. But while in Berlin I noticed they have an M1 streetcar [[M for Metrotram), M2, M4, and so on.

Side note, the metrotrams run 24/7. "Q-Line" will stop running at 10 pm. Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    yeah I know it's named for the highway. But while in Berlin I noticed they have an M1 streetcar [[M for Metrotram), M2, M4, and so on.

Side note, the metrotrams run 24/7. "Q-Line" will stop running at 10 pm. Yeah...
    By 10 p.m. the coliseum parking lots should be empty.

Hey Honky, so, doesn't "Queuing" also mean: to wait in Line?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast