Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Elliott Building rehab?

In a Detroit Business article on the opening of the Broderick Grille today:

"Later this year, Higgins will begin work to redevelop the historic Elliott Building, a seven-story structure at Woodward and West. Grand River that will be converted into 23 one- and two-bedroom apartments along with retail offerings on the first floor and the lower level. Built in 1894 by developer William Elliott, it was home to the first S.S. Kresge five and dime store in 1899. The building is projected to reopen next year."

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-in-the-Works/

The building has had window signs proclaiming its rehab into housing since before the Super Bowl.

But wait, THE BRODERICK GRILLE OPENED?!?!?!?! LOL

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd think the biggest item in that article is the one mentioned after the Elliott Building: "In turn, Higgins is working on preliminary plans to renovate the Leland House at Cass and Bagley into 300 one- and two-bedroom apartments, retail spaces, and a nightclub. The project is projected to be completed in 2018." That would be a huge residential development if it comes through.

I spoke to one of the workers finishing things on the Broderick Grille and the Elliott should start in the next week or so and he said that he thought preliminary work would begin on the Leland by the end of the year. Take that for what it is worth.

I could never understand why the Leland House went downhill. In its day it was a nice place.

I think downtown Detroit is getting that 'rising tide lifts all boats' with residential housing coming back strong.

The current Elliott plan, 23 one or two bedroom apartments, is quite different from what was set forth in a 2006 Model D story. At that time it was 15-18 "high end" condos with something added to the roof of the building for a penthouse.

The market was quite different in 2006 compared to now.

facebook.com/TheElliottBuilding

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The current Elliott plan, 23 one or two bedroom apartments, is quite different from what was set forth in a 2006 Model D story. At that time it was 15-18 "high end" condos with something added to the roof of the building for a penthouse.

Well this is FINALLY good news. I've been questioning the opening of this place for years.
    I'm happy to finally see it open. I'll stop by and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If 23 apartments are going to be carved out for living space as opposed to 18 condos, then those numbers seem high if the apartments are going to be of some size, especially for two bedroom apartments, in a building that only has seven floors. With the ground floor reserved for retail, that leaves six viable floors for apartments. I've walked passed the Elliot building hundreds of times. I can't see there being room for 23 one and two bedroom apartments.

Given the width of the Woodward frontage, I can see at maximum three narrow one-bedroom apartments on each floor. That in fact would give you 24 apartments. Talk of two bedroom apartments would shrink the number of apartments well below my 24. It would help if I knew the square footage of each floor. At any rate, this is great news, news that I too have been waiting for for a long time. With all the work going into the building next door and Dan Gilbert's micro apartment building right behind the Elliot, renovating this building seemed like a no-brainer.
    Last edited by royce; March-22-16 at 11:47 PM.

Considering how long it took the Broderick Grille to open...lets see...2021 might be a possibility. As for the Leland...

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    If 23 apartments are going to be carved out for living space as opposed to 18 condos, then those numbers seem high if the apartments are going to be of some size, especially for two bedroom apartments, in a building that only has seven floors. With the ground floor reserved for retail, that leaves six viable floors for apartments. I've walked passed the Elliot building hundreds of times. I can't see there being room for 23 one and two bedroom apartments.

Given the width of the Woodward frontage, I can see at maximum three narrow one-bedroom apartments on each floor. That in fact would give you 24 apartments. Talk of two bedroom apartments would shrink the number of apartments well below my 24. It would help if I knew the square footage of each floor. At any rate, this is great news, news that I too have been waiting for for a long time. With all the work going into the building next door and Dan Gilbert's micro apartment building right behind the Elliot, renovating this building seemed like a no-brainer.
    Looking at the interior renderings on their facebook page, they are indeed quite narrow. The bedrooms certainly won't be large, but they could squeeze two in.