Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Diagonal alley in Hamtramck

In the Hamtramck block bounded by Gallagher, Evaline, Charest, and Holbrook, the alley that runs down it goes diagonally. At the north end of the block, the west lot has a huge long yard and the lot across the alley has hardly any. At the south end of the block it's the opposite. Anyone know the how or why of this curiosity?
    Last edited by Király; March-21-16 at 11:08 PM.

You mean that guy behind Disneyland Hamtramck is now creating a Harry Potter-themed version in that exact alley you described?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    In the Hamtramck block bounded by Gallagher, Evaline, Charest, and Holbrook, the alley that runs down it goes diagonally. At the north end of the block, the west lot has a huge long yard and the lot across the alley has hardly any. At the south end of the block it's the opposite. Anyone know the how or why of this curiosity?
    Satellite View

I don't see the alley. But Hamtramck is layed out the old fashioned, ribbon farm way, at a 90% degree angle from the River. Around the edge, and even intruding a bit are streets laild out in the later North South orientation. That creates some "slices of pie" like properties.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I don't see the alley. But Hamtramck is layed out the old fashioned, ribbon farm way, at a 90% degree angle from the River. Around the edge, and even intruding a bit are streets laild out in the later North South orientation. That creates some "slices of pie" like properties.
    You have to put it on satellite view to see the full effect. It is bizarre. I'm not sure the ribbon farm past would be the reason here because it's a simple alley.

My guess is a reconciliation of two surveys that didn't line up, or matching the system of lots to an old long-lot property line. Note that the off-kilter alley lines up with Gallagher Street to the north. Without the aerial photo you'd never know this was there. But now I want Polish food and cold piwa.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    You mean that guy behind Disneyland Hamtramck is now creating a Harry Potter-themed version in that exact alley you described?
    Zlupic Garncarz: "Zupa Ogorkowa Eructo!"

Oh! Now I see it! That is a cool little street layout obscurity! And it is not explained by the 90 degree to the river theory. I will have to walk it to see if there are any old, odd details in the alley.

I am not sure if it is that alley or not, but there is an alley in that general area that has a cool brick back fence that looks like it once was part of a building or something ... if my memory is at all accurate.

I found it on the 1949 gigapan, no clues. All the houses were already there, as was the alley.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/147450

Sanborn maps show it as far back as 1915. Additionally, the lot lines to the north and south seem to follow the extended centerline of the alley, up to Trowbridge, and down to Holbrook.

Name:  h0.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  h2.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  25.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sanborn maps show it as far back as 1915. Additionally, the lot lines to the north and south seem to follow the extended centerline of the alley, up to Trowbridge, and down to Holbrook.
    Wow, I'm at a loss. Why would this also affect the lot lines to the north! I've gone on Google Earth and extended the line north and south and I can't find any modern day clues.

Thanks for digging up that info, MikeM!

Very bizarre

Could it be some kind of archaic infrastructure right-of-way like a telegraph line or something?

These mysteries are why I love DetroitYES! It seems they never end.

I had a look at the 1876 Wayne County atlas. I though there an obviously glaring reason for this anomaly might show up there, as it often does for this kind of thing. But what I found was just a subtle variation in the platted property lines, for no discernible reason. Almost like some kind of surveyor's error.

You can see it here between lots 30 and 31.

Name:  hamtramck 1876.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  101.1 KB

For orientation, Holbrook is the road marked with "Ditch" to the south, Conant is on the right before the Carpenter property, where the orientation changes from the river orientation of the 10,000 Acre Tract to the directional orientation of the Northwest Ordinance Survey.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-23-16 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I had a look at the 1876 Wayne County atlas. I though there an obviously glaring reason for this anomaly might show up there, as it often does for this kind of thing. But what I found was just a subtle variation in the platted property lines, for no discernible reason. Almost like some kind of surveyor's error.

You can see it here between lots 30 and 31.

Name:  hamtramck 1876.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  101.1 KB

For orientation, Holbrook is the road marked with "Ditch" to the south, Conant is on the right before the Carpenter property, where the orientation changes from the river orientation of the 10,000 Acre Tract to the directional orientation of the Northwest Ordinance Survey.
    OK, I have an unrelated question about that picture from the Atlas. Inside the lots a number is written which I would expect to be the area of the lot, but I don't know what the units are. Square rods?

Probably acres.

It can't possibly be acres. Look at the size of the lots.

Sure, Holbrook up to Caniff is nearly a half mile, and Jos Campau to Conant is just short of a half mile. A square mile has 640 acres, so this is just shy of a quarter square mile.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sure, Holbrook up to Caniff is nearly a half mile, and Jos Campau to Conant is just short of a half mile. A square mile has 640 acres, so this is just shy of a quarter square mile.
    Most of the lots shown are marked as 10 or more of whatever the units are. Do you really think Hamtramck is or ever was a town subdivided into 10 acre lots? Also, if this were acres, there would be more than 160 acres in just one block. It isn't acres.

Those aren't indivdual home lots. Lot 28 covers from Jos Campau to Mitchell, from Holbrook up to Evaline. It's about 300' x 1400'. That's 420,000 square feet which is ~10 acres.

I went back to the same atlas and picked out a section in a rural area [[Huron Twp) where the land isn't so divided up. A standard township section is 640 acres. For example, section 13 is divided into two 160 acre farms, three 80 acre farms, and two 40 acre farms.

Name:  Screenshot_2016-03-23-20-47-39-1.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by MikeM; March-23-16 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added image

This info is irrelevant for the question at hand but I know from reading the Hamtramck Review section written by Kawalski, that there use to be a creek running beside Holbrook, so the ditch was really a creek. There used to be a bridge going over it at Jos Campau.

That section wasn't subdivided yet in 1855. Curiously, adding up the numbers of acres in all sections of the Ten Thousand Acre Tract only comes to 9,139.92 acres.

Name:  Hamtramck diag 1855.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  170.7 KB

On the 1885 map the dimensions of the subdivided small-farm size parcels are given in feet and they still haven't been further subdivided into city house lots.

Name:  Hamtramck diag 1885 .jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  103.4 KB
    Last edited by Brock7; March-24-16 at 08:13 PM.

In the diagram immediately above, that alley line looks like it could be drawn along the true north-south axis, whereas everything else would just be parallel to surrounding streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    In the diagram immediately above, that alley line looks like it could be drawn along the true north-south axis, whereas everything else would just be parallel to surrounding streets.
    Actually, that is not the north-south axis, the true axis is along the diagonal line at the bottom right corner of the second map in the post above yours, which is a gridline of the Public Land Survey System that present-day Conant divides from the Ten Thousand Acre grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    Good guess, but below is True-North, it's not even remotely close.

This is one of the most fascinating topics that I've ever followed on this board. I really hope we get some kind of break-through as to a reason why.

Name:  diagnorth.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  130.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast