Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buddy's Pizza Rebranded

Buddy's Pizza has gone hipster and now!!

Spent a lot of money there, that and the Turtle Soup Inn, [[them baby back ribs were to die for).

http://uverse.com/watch/c___ejuapwiO_qot?ref=yfp

Loui's will always be better.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Agreed....

Where is Loui's?

I ate at Buddies last weekend. They made me wait so long before they even brought me a menu, I ordered a Salad because I didn't want to wait any longer.

Loui's is located at 23141 Dequindre Rd, Hazel Park, MI 48030. Indeed they are busy as well. The pizza is very good and their antipasto salad is as well. The interior reminds me of a late 1950's early 1960's décor with signed chianti wine bottles tied to the walls.

Another good comparable pizza place at John R. and Wattles, [[17 mile rd.), is The Gathering Place. They serve good bar food and very good pizza.

Loui's is good because they didn't branch out. Antipasto is the BEST! But yeah on a Friday or Saturday evening be prepared to wait. So worth it though!

I'll have to try the Gathering Place, pass it from time to time but never been.

Can't go wrong with either Buddy's or Loui's. I'd go with Buddy's as my personal favorite, but I think that it's almost splitting hairs with them.

Another place that has a really good pizza is The Alibi on Rochester Rd just south of M-59. Only been there a couple times but the pizza was very good.

Shield's was a place we used to really enjoy. Used to. They seemed to have tried an aggressive expansion that I'm guessing failed, as the number of restaurants went way up and then way back down over the last 10 years.

Ever since then, it seems that their quality has been on the decline while their prices have continued to rise. For a while, you could still justify going, but things have moved in the wrong direction on both ends so much that we have pretty much crossed them off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Can't go wrong with either Buddy's or Loui's. I'd go with Buddy's as my personal favorite, but I think that it's almost splitting hairs with them.

Another place that has a really good pizza is The Alibi on Rochester Rd just south of M-59. Only been there a couple times but the pizza was very good.
    The Alibi. That is where you bring your girlfriend, leave the wife at home, right?

Exactly

Regardless of your preference [[Buddy's for me) this is a great story to see on national TV.

I'll take Buscemi's any day.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Well, Louie Tourtois deserves a great deal of credit for Buddy's and especially Shield's success. Louie took Buddy's to a new level after Gus sold the place in the early 1950's and then started Cloverleaf. In the early 1970's, Louie totally put Shield's on the map for pizza because before him it was just the typical Detroit bar. It's not surprising what Louie was able to accomplish with Loui's in finally having his own place.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    I'll take Buscemi's any day.
    My first job, while in high school, was at Buscemi's on Gratiot. Great pizza, but I later fell in love with Buddy's. [[1960S)

Cloverleaf is delicious, though it takes 3 days to get your pizza.

I can't seem to call up the article, so I don't know what it's about.

When it comes to Buddy's-I like them. One of my earliest dates with my husband was at the Buddy's on Conant. The one in Dearborn is no where near as good as that one or the one on Northwestern.

Quote Originally Posted by Now&then View Post
    I can't seem to call up the article, so I don't know what it's about.

When it comes to Buddy's-I like them. One of my earliest dates with my husband was at the Buddy's on Conant. The one in Dearborn is no where near as good as that one or the one on Northwestern.
    The Dearborn one is lousy. The Livonia one is good.

Default Mr. Ed's bar/pizza

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

Whatever happened to Mr. Ed's on I-75 service dr. @ Nevada ? Haven't been in that area in 15-20 yrs. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Cloverleaf is delicious, though it takes 3 days to get your pizza.
    Just ate there yesterday, it took a half an hour Order it well done - the crust gets extra crispy.

Also, those fried pizza dough breadsticks...

Buddy's Pizza appears to be taking over the former Angelina's Bistro in the M@dison Building downtown.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ock/479528002/

Louis all the way, followed closely by Cloverleaf and Buddy's. [[Also Cloverleaf's whipped cheesecake - not that you ever have room for it.) Shields seems to be pretty hit-and-miss. Green Lantern is also pretty good.

As for non-Detroit-style: Bigalora is phenomenal. Ferlito's in GPW and Gilbert's in SCS are good for regular - I guess you could call it "bar style" pizza.

I used to like Pizza Papalis every now and then, but when I worked in Greektown for a few years the company would get them all the time, and I got sick of it.

Why post a link that only U-verse subscribers can click on

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Louis all the way, followed closely by Cloverleaf and Buddy's. [[Also Cloverleaf's whipped cheesecake - not that you ever have room for it.) Shields seems to be pretty hit-and-miss. Green Lantern is also pretty good.

As for non-Detroit-style: Bigalora is phenomenal. Ferlito's in GPW and Gilbert's in SCS are good for regular - I guess you could call it "bar style" pizza.

I used to like Pizza Papalis every now and then, but when I worked in Greektown for a few years the company would get them all the time, and I got sick of it.
    Ever had Green Lantern? I'd put that up on that list as well. LOVE that pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Well, Louie Tourtois deserves a great deal of credit for Buddy's and especially Shield's success. Louie took Buddy's to a new level after Gus sold the place in the early 1950's and then started Cloverleaf. In the early 1970's, Louie totally put Shield's on the map for pizza because before him it was just the typical Detroit bar. It's not surprising what Louie was able to accomplish with Loui's in finally having his own place.
    Perhaps, Irishspartan, we might have bumped into each other many moons ago at Shield's Bar. Louie put that place on the map and Shield's Bar sponsored our lawyers softball team in the Detroit summer league. Hope we did not hurt sales as we lost more games than we won.

Buddy's will kill it in that location.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast