Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Hot Sauce Appreciation Thread

Hot sauce seems to be getting more and more popular with the introduction of various food-focused tv channels as well as comemrcials. I admit that I love the stuff, but I don't put it on everything I eat. So what is your favorite type of hot sauce or pepper?

For me, the best is Marie Sharp's which comes out of Belize and is pretty much found on any restaurant table down there. It is somewhat hard to find but well worth thre effort if you want a some flames.

At first I thought this was about some other website.

I'm partial to plain old Tabasco sauce, mostly due to childhood memories of a visit to Avery Island where it's made. It's a unique place with a salt dome and bird sanctuary.
    Under the Avery/McIlhenny family's management, Avery Island has remained a natural paradise, inhabited by exotic plant and animal species from throughout the world. Edward Avery McIlhenny, or "Mr. Ned" as he was affectionately known, founded this bird colony—later called Bird City—around 1895 after plume hunters had slaughtered egrets by the thousands to provide feathers for ladies' hats. Edward gathered eight young egrets, raised them in captivity on the Island, and released them in the fall to migrate across the Gulf of Mexico. The following spring the birds returned to the Island with others of their species, a migration that continues today.

Frank's Red Hot, I put that shit on everything.

My mom grows cayennes in her garden, and I made a cayenne pepper sauce out of them. It tasted a lot like Frank's. But the smell of the roasting cayennes stuck in the house for a week.

Stosh Guest

I really am not a fan of tomato based hot sauce at all, due to the acidity. Now if I were to get some Coleman's mustard with some decent egg rolls, that would work. Some little thai chilis would be nice mixed into pretty much anything while cooking gives you some serious heat as well. Keep the seeds in if you dare.

x2 on franks. good stuff, and it dont burn your tastebuds to death

So far I'm pretty happy with Tabasco. I buy the big bottle at Costco.

Blarf Guest

Hot sauce rules. It feels better going into you than it does coming out.

Tabasco, on everything! Every once in a while I'll do some Cholula, that is, if Tabasco is nowhere in sight.

Might be showing my English roots here, but I've always been fond of HP sauce... and Frank's Red Hot is all kinds of awesome.

The hot mustard that's available at chinese restaurants, is some hot stuff. It will clean your sinuses. I think adding a small amout to BBQ sauce might prove to be a good idea. I will have to try it.

Once I had Melinda, I never willingly had another.

More flavor than a hot sauce should have at the taste temperatures they achieve...I usually get the XXX or XXXX versions, but have never been disappointed.

We discovered a local grower at Eastern Market who was selling a pepper called Devil's Tongue...which I'd never heard of before. Made salsa using 'em...and WOWZA!...the hottest salsa ever. But amazingly good, and we've got another dozen and a half jars to get through this upcoming tough winter!

Cheers

I've always been big on Tabasco. Now I pretty much just use it in chili, Bloody Mary's and on eggs.
    I really like the Tabasco chipotle on smoked oysters.Attachment 7883

Last year my son turned me on to Sriracha sauce. It's a hot Thai sauce. About $1.50 for a 17oz. bottle. I've become addicted to it. A big bang for your buck.
    Attachment 7884

I do use Frank's on a number of things.

Melinda/s is pretty hot and has a great flavor too. I wonder how long you can actually keep the stuff in your cupboard for? Or do you keep it in the fridge?

SRIRACHA ALL THE WAY! It's good on *everything*

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Melinda/s is pretty hot and has a great flavor too. I wonder how long you can actually keep the stuff in your cupboard for? Or do you keep it in the fridge?
    I cannot boast of her longevity in the fridge, since she usually runs out on me every two to three months. She's gone today, so the breakfast sandwiches will be slightly less zingy in her wake.

Cheers

Come on out to the Fiery Foods Show. It's held here every Match. You can get whichever one meets your needs, and a few thousand others that might replace that one. We've been every year but one and stocked up.
    http://www.fieryfoodsshow.com/

Down in Jamaica, I loved Scotch Bonnet Sauce. Just SB peppers, vinegar and Papaya.

Must say the Tapatio is my favorite.

Sriracha is amazing. I mix it with mayo to make Vietnamese banh mi. And it's made in downtown Los Angeles. Aside from that, I like Uncle Brutha's No. 10, which has a nice smokiness and works well in chili.

I tried a sauce once called "Jersey Death". Six drops of it on a taco, and I was burning for the next 24 hours.

They have something like that at Foran's...served with a dropper in a fake medical bottle!

Sirachna is great, as are some of the bottled sauces from Belize and the Yucatan, but like most things, it's better if you make your own.

here's one of my favorite salsa recipes:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10646-ersatz-papalote-salsa

I am going to try that recipe indeed..

I'm going to find and post the one that my girlfriend made a few months back with those Devil's Tongue peppers...I think it was originally an Emeril recipe that she 'improved'.

It is wicked good.

I love that the one Barnes posted was reverse-engineered...LOL. Pumpkin seeds...and apparently some Achiote Rojo, according to a comment on that page.

I like good old Franks. It's sorta non-descript as hot sauces go, but that's ok. I like that does not 'take over' the foods as much as some of the more specialty hot sauce options.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
    x2 on franks. good stuff, and it dont burn your tastebuds to death

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast