Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moving to Morningside/ East English Village

Hello.

I am moving to the Morningside/EEV area of Detroit soon and I wanted to find out anything about the area that I can. Are there any particularly good restaurants? Are there any community organizations that I may be interested in?

I have been all over Detroit, but I don't know much about this neighborhood. Any information at all would be appreciated. I am a student and I would like to use any spare time that I have to get involved in this community and volunteer.

Thanks =).

You will be close to the Georgia Street Community Collective :-)

Cool. I have heard Georgia St mentioned a lot, but I wasn't sure of where it was located in relation to EEV. I'll check it out =).

Decent restaurants like Bogartz [[formerly Captains) on Mack four blocks east of Cadieux and the Harvard Grille on the GP side near Cadieux. Is LunchBox deli still there?

Nice restaurants and afterhours places along Mack west of Balfour to Alter.

One of the interesting things about the area is the row of antique shops along the Detroit side of Mack near Three Mile.

Enjoy the far east side!

Blue Pointe on Warren and The Irish Coffee on Mack in GPF are a couple I like around there.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I have been all over Detroit, but I don't know much about this neighborhood.
    Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to move to that area?

Well, for starters, Georgia St. is nowhere near EEV-unless I'm missing something here. But, to add to what's been said about eateries in the East English Village, the bases were pretty much covered on that note. But there some nice eateries that are on the outskirts of as well as in the EEV. There's the Bedford Inn [[I assume it's still open), Your Place Bar & Grill was recently closed down [[temporarily, I hope), it's current in partnership with the Cadieux Bar, The Pointe BBQ Grill [[now My Sisters & Me Homecooking Restaurant) is good, The Harvard Grill in GGP is excellent, the restaurant formerly known as the Olympia Grill [[I forgot the current name) is off the chain, and Pizza Hut is off the chain!

I'm still pissed off that Pizza Hut closed off its dining area to expand Wing Street, though. EEV has alot to offer once you cruise through it-even GP Police ride through it on occasion [[seeing that they're connected).

Just don't send your kids to Finney HS [[ain't worked there in years), but that's besides the pointe, I mean, point!

I didn't mean to infer Morningside/EEV was right next door to Georgia Street...but it isn't that far, either. Morningside has its own neighborhood association, I think, so you may want to look them up.

La Cina, on Mack one block east of Cadieux, has some excellent Mexican fare. Their wet burrito was a Friday night staple for me.

Mack Daddy's is further east/north on Mack, at its intersection of Warren, but their burgers are excellent.

Lunch Box Deli was still open [[last I knew), and also very good.

1) Why no mention of the Cadieux Cafe?

Best Belgian Bar around includes excellent mussels, feather bowling [[league and individual play), their own bicycle team, live music and about as authentic a family bar as you could wish celebrating the Belgian heritage of the area....Stella on tap.

2) If you have any interest in sailing [[or your kids do) Crescent Sail Yacht Club [[just a mile or two down the road from you in GPF) offers classes to non-members. If you like it, it is one of the more reasonably priced clubs in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to move to that area?
    Well, there was a room for rent in the area for a good price, so I took it. I also wanted to see a different part of Detroit, and I think that some of the houses and neighborhoods in that area are very beautiful.

irish mafia: Thanks. Cadieux Cafe sounds wonderful. I love mussels! [[Or any kind of seafood, really.) I'll check it out. I don't have kids unless you count my cat and I don't think that she would like sailing much =).

Anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions!

EEV has a very strong neighborhood organization. if you are in Morningside you can check out our newsletter Email version. Given our proximity to Grosse Pointe Park, you should check out the great stores and restaurants there too. Get a Little Blue Book directory. You will probably use that more than the east area yellow pages.

Hammertime is a great hardware on East Warren as is GP Hardware on Kercheval and Maryland in GPP.

We have two Saturday open air markets, one on East Warren next to the Pizza Hut and one in The GPP business district on Kercheval.

Your going to love that area. I lived on Audubon for 18 years. The Morning Side Association is not as strong as it used to be because not enough people get involved. The EEV Association is much stronger. Hammer Time is one of the best hardware stores in Detroit. The Cadiux Cafe you will love. For shopping I liked going to Yorkshire Market and Village Market. For wine, the best place in Detroit is Gibbs Wine on Mack and Moross. Larry and Steve can help you with any selections. Larry has over 40 years of wine experience. Good luck in your new digs!

Cadieux Cafe
    Blue Pointe
    Harvard Grill

Loved to walk to the Yorkshire Market [[great meat counter)...I miss it since I moved!

That all sounds great. Are there any cheap fruit and vegetable markets in the area? I really love going to the Papaya Fruit Market off of Warren, but I would like to find a place like that close by.

Yorkshire Market recently got new owners so it isn't as good as Muellars on Kercheval. Parkway at Riverbend on Jeffeson in Detroit is my favorite grocery store and I buy the specials at Kroger in the Village in Grosse Pointe City. Besides Cadieux Cafe, there are a few Begium business still around, Verdoncts bakery on Mack [[best chocolate fry cakes around) and Vergotte fish and poultry, you buy it we fry it.

Bus service is adequate going east/west. Harper, Warren, Mack all have service or if you are close, you can also catch the suburban bus lines in GPP. North south bus lines aren't good.

EEV is walkable MS a little less so.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    1) Why no mention of the Cadieux Cafe?
    I thought their mediocre food was way overpriced.

wow, the man that was always on the news battling with the comic store next door sold yorkshire? i loved going there when i worked in that area. great meat counter.

The Cadieux Cafe is an eastside classic. 1940s ambience. Great mussel dinners. Formidable beer selection.

DetroitPole Guest

Hello.

I am moving to the Morningside/EEV area of Detroit soon and I wanted to find out anything about the area that I can. Are there any particularly good restaurants? Are there any community organizations that I may be interested in?

I have been all over Detroit, but I don't know much about this neighborhood. Any information at all would be appreciated. I am a student and I would like to use any spare time that I have to get involved in this community and volunteer.

Thanks =).
    I decided to do a search on East English Village and found this thread. Thought I'd see how the move went if the original poster is still active. I moved here in June and absolutely love it. Friendly neighbors and great amenities.

Some other places/things of note: We have curbside recycling, and High Noon and and Nikki's are nice, friendly dive bars. Any other suggestions?

Mack Daddy's is closed. It's location is being taken over by a sushi bar.

Well, I lived in Morningside which was close to EEV, but not nearly as nice. I was constantly harassed and eventually moved after someone tried to mug me [[luckily I had no money). Before this happened, I was approached by a group of kids that wanted to steal all of my camera stuff and I took off running like the wind. My experience was very bad and I did not like it there at all. Very unsafe for a student commuting via bus. As for EEV, it's a lovely neighborhood. I walked around that area a few times and found it to be quite a different place. Now I live on the West side and feel safer.

I lived in Morningside for 9 1/2 years until 1995. It was going through changes and crime kept going up, I eventually moved to the burbs after being held up at gunpoint in my driveway. But I loved the neighborhood, once every so often I drive through it again. All of my friends eventually moved out as well. But you can always hope for better times. I would recommend someone with city smarts to give the area a try if they are interested in it.

DetroitPole Guest

Well, I lived in Morningside which was close to EEV, but not nearly as nice. I was constantly harassed and eventually moved after someone tried to mug me [[luckily I had no money). Before this happened, I was approached by a group of kids that wanted to steal all of my camera stuff and I took off running like the wind. My experience was very bad and I did not like it there at all. Very unsafe for a student commuting via bus. As for EEV, it's a lovely neighborhood. I walked around that area a few times and found it to be quite a different place. Now I live on the West side and feel safer.
    I am sorry to hear that. I get it though - other than Audubon, whenever I go through Morningside on bike or running I get a weird vibe, which is never good. I love EEV however. That is Detroit though - go one block and you can be a world away from the next.
    I have a friend who lives in Morningside and has for decades. She has lamented the condition of the neighborhood but I just talked to her and she said she feels as of recently things are getting better. Hopefully the stability of EEV can spill over and people can take advantage of the amazing and now insanely affordable housing stock there. It is one of the kind of in-between neighborhoods I feel can still be saved and has potential.
    Glad you found a place you like better.

It's not that it was all bad living there, I really loved the houses in that area and it definitely had a different feel compared to other parts of Detroit that I liked. But, as a student that was required to carry my camera with me to classes and wait at the Warren bus stop it just wasn't ideal. The area on Warren where I had to wait was just always bad and always had a lot of people hanging around that were up to no good. But, if I walked the other way towards harper to where Harpos is, that area was much, much nicer and there are some things that I miss about living on the east side. Unfortunately, I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I should have never moved to that area considering my circumstances. The neighborhood I am in now isn't so great, either.. but my street tends to be safer than others. And it is better for a student like me just because there seems to be more people out, more open businesses, and I don't feel like I am walking in a totally abandoned area where anyone can do anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast