Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default THRIFT SHOPS: Are there any places which sort men's jeans/slacks by size?

I used to buy used men's pants [[usually blue jeans) at Value Village, which later became Value World, in Ypsilanti. It was an easy task, because they measured all of the pants which they displayed for sale - for example all of the 34-Waist ones were displayed together, etc. There are other Value Worlds around the metro, and I assume they all did the same thing.

To my dismay, the last time I was at Value World [[Ypsi) last spring, they no longer "size" their men's jeans, and they are now all displayed randomly, all sizes mixed together. [[I haven't checked out other Value World stores.) My experience with choosing from unmarked pants in the past has been very poor, and it takes a lot of time to take dozens of pants into changing rooms to find one or two that fit.

Is there anywhere in the metropolitan area [[including anything stretching from, say, Richmond to Howell to Adrian to Monroe) that displays used jeans, which are sized? I would like to have a "good" buying experience again - thank you all for any tips.

The Salvation Army in Walled Lake does [[At least they did as of a year ago). Friday mornings are the best day to go as the color coded tag sales typically start then.

For me, jeans are one of the rare clothing items that is not normally worth buying from thrift stores, and instead I buy them on Ebay. As long as they haven't been improperly laundered Levi's 501's and 505's in my size fit me perfect about 90% of the time. At many thrift stores jeans simply aren't discounted much unless they're an odd size, off brand or style. And searching to find the brands one prefers, the size and the appearance is just so time consuming.

Another way I get a deal on Ebay is to search for lots of the same size and brand. They're often listed that way when someone has outgrown them [[Or lost weight). And in those instances they aren't as likely to be worn out and the shipping costs are less than buying individual pairs.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-18-16 at 05:30 PM.

Wow.

It's called "Thrift Shopping in Detroit".

Not "Shop on the Interwebs While Residing in Detroit".

Wait.

Wait a second.

Where have .... all the ...... Detroit .... thrift shops ... goooone?

[[there's a musical in that one, or at least a quick, snappy little ditty of some sort. I tell ya; it's a HIT!!!).

Value Village used to be the bomb, and it was the go to place that no Detroit kid ever felt ashamed to go and get clothes [[before it got too trendy, then more of the vintage resale shops picked up in the mid-90's). Value World kinda bites.

There are some Sally's and St. Vincent's [[or Goodwills, if you want to go that route, but I will have nothing to do with them.) scattered about. The D.A.V. [[on Middlebelt) really sucks; I've never found a thing there. The Sally on Greenfield near all the best spots [[Book Beat, Jerusalem Pizza, one-Stop, The Pita Cafe, Bread Basket-corned beef ain't cheating if you are a vegetarian getting some at Bread Basket, Streetwhore-I mean Street Corner Records-sorry, a little residue from another thread I was just on, etc.) will surprise you with what may turn up. There's also some on Ford, Plymouth, down in Taylor [[Telegraph and one on Eureka), the one in Detroit near the postal center, and the one on 8 Mile near Mound that are all hit or miss.

A lot of places do sort by size, but many will just sort by color. Some of these "estate sale" resale shops are way to overpriced.

Can't guarantee if the Council Thrift [[also next to some hot spots) in Berkley or the thrift store in Wayne will have the items arranged as you wish.

I like Value World, OAKPARK, MI, but rarely purchase pants there as they have no changing area and I would NOT try on USED clothes from a resale shop against my skin UNTIL I wash them. Doing so can cause skin rashes and even ring-worm dust and grit in the clothing. A friend found out the hard way.

Many workers wear gloves while stocking for a 'reason'. I don't even bring used clothes home before washing them hard at a public laundry -- hot water and baking soda, etc. I'll slip on jackets 'over' my clothes, and while I don't buy in the mens section [[I am female) I've noted that the VW at Coolidge and 9 mile [[Oakpark) hang mens pants along the side seam, with the waist facing out so you can more easily see the size without removing the pants off the rack.

Shopping resale can be a crap shot. But a friend picked up a $1000 mens suit for under $20 only needing a few buttons and dry cleaning. My best leather coats are from resale shops. I purchase skirts and tops [[without trying on) etc., as I know my size but sometimes items don't fit. So I give the items away. I know my size for some jeans per the brand so they will fit. Value World has had 50% OFF sales back-to-back the last few months so the things I got that did not fit were not a big loss.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-19-16 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Wow.

It's called "Thrift Shopping in Detroit".

Not "Shop on the Interwebs While Residing in Detroit".

Wait.

Wait a second.

Where have .... all the ...... Detroit .... thrift shops ... goooone?

[[there's a musical in that one, or at least a quick, snappy little ditty of some sort. I tell ya; it's a HIT!!!).
    At least I offered what the OP was looking for. An actual suggestion for a local thrift shop.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-18-16 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    At least I offered what the OP was looking for. An actual suggestion for a local thrift shop.
    Not to mention that I [[the OP) live nowhere near Detroit, but in no man's land in the cornfields about 500 miles away. I visit Michigan for a few days [[or a couple weeks) every year, though...thank you for some good suggestions.

It's a trip "home" though, because I grew up around Ypsi, Ann Arbor, Saline.

The former Purple Heart, now Value World, on Woodward in the Northend, was a super bargain back in the 80's. So much so that I had a friend who would buy clothes items, wear them until they needed washing, then donate the back and buy others. It was cheaper than laundering them.

^^^ Another reason I'd never try on, or wear anything from any resale or vintage clothing store PRIOR to having the items thoroughly washed or dry cleaned!
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-20-16 at 07:20 AM.

Cheap Charlie's next to the Gratiot Central Market.

Plan would require foster children to shop for clothing in thrift stores
    By RINA MILLER • APR 15, 2011
    Foster children in Michigan would use their state-funded clothing allowance only in thrift stores under a plan suggested by State Senator Bruce Caswell.

Caswell says he wants to make sure that state money set aside to buy clothes for foster children and kids of the working poor is actually used for that purpose.
    He says they should get "gift cards" to be used only at Salvation Army, Goodwill or other thrift stores.
    http://michiganradio.org/post/plan-w...-thrift-stores

I will give you just one guess as to which party he belongs.

UPDATE: It seems Sen. Caswell has done the moonwalk after an outcry....

The story originally aired on Friday, April 15. Since that time, we have received more than 270 comments - most people expressing their outrage over Caswell's proposal.

We received this comment from Sonja S. who says she was in foster care from ages 11-17:
    Unfortunately, by demanding the money be spent in thrift stores, Mr. Caswell is doing emotional harm to the children. It doesn't matter what his motives are, the fact is that they're ill thought-out.
    Senator Caswell said he received a lot calls after the story aired from people asking him to change his proposal.

Based on those calls, Caswell said he amended his original proposal to include "other retailers" - meaning foster families would be allowed to buy the clothes wherever they like:
    "I actually don't care how the money is spent, I just want to make sure the money is used to buy clothes for the kids," Caswell told us.
    http://michiganradio.org/post/senato...t-store-policy

there are plenty of designer labels at thrift stores , and $50 for a t-shirt in a mall is crazy.

on coupon and sale day you can get 5 for 5 or pants for $1-$3 at salvation army / value world. compare that to $10 at k-mart or $15 at sears for new.

even thrift store prices have gone up. i've frequently seen $10+ pants at the thrift stores all over detroit metro. which is a disturbing trend.

should always buy new underwear though.

i dont agree with the senator, if he was going to make a law like that, it would be a better law to mandate money for foster kid clothing be spent on michigan-made clothing only. or from michigan companies selling clothes. are there even michigan companies still around? kmart merged with sears and left town? hudsons is gone. meijers is still selling clothing.

as to the OP's question, the sizes have gotten worse at the value world. you know the tags they staple to the pants with the sizes? a lot of times those numbers are incorrect from the pants tag. so its quicker to find a pair of pants that fits /correct size, and then simply hold them up to the other pants , while gripping opposite ends of the waist to measure two pairs of pants at a time.

all clothing i've bought from thrift stores smells like it has been washed with industrial cleaners. i avoid thrift store furniture. but i have picked up free couches on craigslist. i take soap and water and a rag and wash down the entire couch before bringing it inside. also spray it with rubbing alcohol to kill germs.

i've been to 90% of all of the thrift stores in the whole area. from flint and chesterfield to monroe and toledo. from ann arbor and brighton to grosse point and detroit. church thrift stores [[ redford 6 mile st johns, 11mile woodward church), school thrift stores [[ypsi school thrift store just moved), chains [[value world, sal army, goodwill, dav, rescued treasures aka grace thrift stores), independents [[sunshine and the other ones on gratiot near 14? 15?). just got sick of ebay prices and fees. more fun to see whats on the shelves.

http://www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Detroit/MI/1.htm

the "upscale resale" or "boutique resale" shops have higher end stuff and prices.
    Last edited by compn; March-20-16 at 10:00 AM.

I've found brand names and designer lines ultra cheap at resales such as Chicos, Anne Klein, Etienne Aigner, Talbots, Wilsons Leather, etc. including a medium weight solid gold 18K gold chain [[un-recognized by the used seller as the hallmark was unusual)! I avoid vintage shops as they are higher and don't have the hidden gems you may find at resale and estate sales!

I actually prefer to shop at thrift store for my dress shirts. Especially if you go to the Salvation Army off Greenfield near Birmingham or the one on 12 Mile/Harper by Grosse Pointe.

Brands like Abercombie or Express sell of 12.99 a shirt whereas a Brooks Brother or Pink sell for $3.99. You make the steals when the person pricing your outfit has never heard of the brand.

I'm not sure what's so wrong with encouraging more people to shop at thrift stores.

When I was in 8th grade - my teacher asked us what was the #1 way to encourage recycling. It was actually to buy recycled products. That's the only way to keep the cycle going.

So buying, and encouraging, people to buy thrift/recycled goods - shouldn't be laughed at - it's the socially conscious and environmentally friendly thing to do. We should start throwing paint on people who shop at malls or Kohls!

Shopping resale has helped me understand and appreciate quality. Brands that turn up in the resale shop still very wearable speak to the quality of the fabric and manufacturing. Certain lines hold up to reuse. Some clothing items purchased new will never be recycled as they are just trash to start with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Plan would require foster children to shop for clothing in thrift stores
    By RINA MILLER • APR 15, 2011

http://michiganradio.org/post/plan-w...-thrift-stores

I will give you just one guess as to which party he belongs.
    Because if you're poor, you have to look the part! How are the bullies and preppy kids at school gonna know who to pick on?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Because if you're poor, you have to look the part! How are the bullies and preppy kids at school gonna know who to pick on?
    Unless they read this thread and pick up on Zacha and BelleIsleRunner's tips on buying luxury brands. Of course then the kids would face being accused of a version of the welfare-queen-driving-a-cadillac mythology. Looking at the pictures of Sen. Caswell's couture, he might be wise to read those tips too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Another reason I'd never try on, or wear anything from any resale or vintage clothing store PRIOR to having the items thoroughly washed or dry cleaned!
    Does that include dry humping?

I have my limits.

^^^^

No it doesn't, If a a pair of pants has that history, I'm all over it.

Smells like Victory.

Do these places pose any risk of spreading bed bugs? Or do they control that problem somehow?

Sincerely.

If you're ever near Holland Michigan, check out the Hive. It's the best organized thrift / consignment place for clothes I've ever seen.

Maybe they do, maybe not! I always put whatever I get in black trash plastic bag and take to a professional laundry with hot water [[if possible) and baking soda. So, I've never had any problem. And I don't by any furniture or bedding. I hear the problem, aside from the usual places [[beds), is more the critter on people rather than clothes! But you hear different things! Be safe rather than sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Do these places pose any risk of spreading bed bugs? Or do they control that problem somehow?

Sincerely.

Ah-hah! That's too much for me! ----No, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Does that include dry humping?

I have my limits.

Never found anything inneresting at Sally Ann's here. Value Village or "Village des Valeurs" as it is called here is pretty good for selection and to me, it makes a lot of sense since I buy workclothes that will be splattered in paint due to my line of work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast